Niner Baseball- Week 4

After having a hiccup this weekend, going 3-1 against Wagner, the Niners will now enter the toughest portion of their schedule.

After a midweek home game vs Holy Cross, we return the trip to Mizzou for a 4 game set this weekend. Last year we took 3 of 4 from Mizzou at the Hayes, and rubbed some the wrong way when we ran up the score (22-7) on them in the final game of the series. this will also be the 1st road weekend trip for the Niners.

After this weekend, we host Dallas Baptist, then open A-10 play. We travel to URI and Xavier the first 2 weekends, who were picked to finish 2nd and 4th in the conference. Then we host Dayton, who was picked to finish 3rd. This stretch will define our season.

Holy Cross comes in on Tuesday with a record of 2-3, One of their wins coming over Top 10 Texas A&M in their opening weekend. HC lost 3-2 in the opening game of that series.

Baseball America projected them to finish 4th in the Patriot League and lists SO Mike Ahmed 3B/RHP as the top prospect in the league.

The conference's top prospect is Holy Cross two-way player Mike Ahmed, a sophomore who will be eligible for the 2013 draft. Ahmed's brother Nick is a shortstop who was a second-round pick of the Braves last June out of Connecticut, and Mike ranked as the No. 9 prospect in the Atlantic Collegiate League last summer even though he was still recovering from a torn ACL. He may rate as a better pro prospect on the mound, with an 89-91 mph fastball and swing-and-miss slider, but Holy Cross is counting on him at third base, where he obviously offers a strong arm but will need to get better at the plate. The Crusaders are optimistic about their chances to move up in the conference and they have experience all over the diamond—including Sr. LHP Nate Koneski fronting the rotation and the school's single-season saves leader, John Colella, at closer. Ahmed will probably work in as a bullpen contributor.

More on Mizzou later in the week.

http://www.collegebaseballlineup.com/rankings/midmajorranks.php

#7 ranked “mid-major” baseball program.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2, topic:26457”]http://www.collegebaseballlineup.com/rankings/midmajorranks.php

#7 ranked “mid-major” baseball program.[/quote]

It seems funny seeing Perdue listed as a mid-major but I think the Big 10 is considered a Mid-Major baseball conference.

App’s getting a lot of play from that double win against LSU.

It looks like lefty Tyler Pilkington will get his 1st start of the season today. He was a weekend starter for us in the 2010 season. It’s nice to have depth to throw guys with weekend experience on the weekdays.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205392452

Lost to Holy Cross 5-1. We managed only 2 hits on the day.

We managed 3 errors too.

1 run
2 hits
3 errors

That’s not good.

I think it’s time to build that new batting facility.

HCU is from a place that actually has winter. That means all of their spring practices were too cold to get their bodies limber. That’s why the Baseball Top 25 is dominated by southern teams. Any loss to a team that has a real winter in baseball or softball is unacceptable. Coach Hibbs should make them run laps.

SCK, running laps won’t help you hit the ball any better.

Baseball has definitely been a little disappointing so far and they have a tough stretch starting now…real tough.

I have only been to one game so far.
Was looking forward to a strong baseball season but the game
I saw led me to believe we just don’t have the sticks in the lineup
this year.
Not sure about pitching yet.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:12, topic:26457”]I have only been to one game so far.
this year.
Not sure about pitching yet.[/quote]

While we didn’t hit much last game, to me the pitching has been more of a letdown.

[quote=“919R, post:13, topic:26457”][quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:12, topic:26457”]I have only been to one game so far.
this year.

While we didn’t hit much last game, to me the pitching has been more of a letdown.[/quote]

I’m not worried about the pitching. We have a storng experienced starting rotation and a deep bullpen.

I am worried about the fielding and our offense. I think the fielding will be corrected as the season goes along but not sure about the bats.

Mizzou series starts today. It will be a good test to match up on the road vs a Big 12/ Future SEC team.

Here are the pitching match-ups for the weekend. Glad to see Barnette back in the rotation after missing last weeks start.

Fri. SR RH Andrew Smith (3-0, 3.44, 17 K, 9 BB) vs. Jr. RH Eric Anderson (0-3, 4.12, 12 K, 2 BB) Sat. (G1): So. RH Tyler Barnette (1-0, 0.00, 4 K, 3 BB) vs. So. LH Rob Zastryzny (1-1, 5.52, 13 K, 5 BB) Sat. (G2): Jr. RH Corey Roberts (1-1, 4.74, 9 K, 6 BB) vs. Fr. RH Brandon Platts (0-0, 3.86, 0 K, 0 BB Sun.: RSr. Joe Yermal (2-1, 1.50, 8 K, 2 BB) vs. Jr. LH Blake Holovach (1-0, 5.87, 11 K, 6 BB)

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205393542

Mizzou took 2 of 3 from Auburn earlier this year but has played .500 ball since.

Baseball America picked them to finish 5th in the Big 12 and list OF Blake Brown (12th) and RHP Eric Anderson (15th) as two of the top 15 draft prospects in the 2012 Draft out of the Big 12. LHP Rob Zastryzny (7th) is listed as on of the top propsects in the 2013 MLB Draft class from teh conference.

• After making seven straight NCAA regionals from 2003-09, Missouri missed the tournament the last two seasons. Pitching could lead the Tigers back to the regionals, as they have a nice mix of veterans and newcomers on the mound. Jr. RHP Eric Anderson (3-0, 4.93, 46 IP/26 SO) is fully recovered from shoulder surgery in 2010, and he'll form a strong weekend rotation with So. LHP Rob Zastryzny (2-5, 4.33, 87 IP/70 SO) and Jr. RHP Blake Holovach (4-3, 6.06, 68 IP/47 SO at Coffeyville, Kan., CC). The bullpen will be in the hands of freshmen Brett Graves and Brandon Platts, both of whom were drafted last June.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:12, topic:26457”]I have only been to one game so far.
this year.

One game? If you have children, I hope you gave them more than one chance to ride a 2 wheel bike.

There have been so many different lineups this season, I will agree you may have seen a weak one. However, I have give the coaching staff some credit here. They need to see who can and can’t perform in various situations. In addition, they want to see somewhere who may actually be getting better since the season started.

Watched Tuesdays game and, like others, was very disappointed in the offense. However, I will be shocked if they start that particular lineup at Missouri for any game this weekend.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:14, topic:26457”][quote=“919R, post:13, topic:26457”][quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:12, topic:26457”]I have only been to one game so far.
this year.

While we didn’t hit much last game, to me the pitching has been more of a letdown.[/quote]

I’m not worried about the pitching. We have a storng experienced starting rotation and a deep bullpen.

I am worried about the fielding and our offense. I think the fielding will be corrected as the season goes along but not sure about the bats.

Mizzou series starts today. It will be a good test to match up on the road vs a Big 12/ Future SEC team.

Here are the pitching match-ups for the weekend. Glad to see Barnette back in the rotation after missing last weeks start.

Fri. SR RH Andrew Smith (3-0, 3.44, 17 K, 9 BB) vs. Jr. RH Eric Anderson (0-3, 4.12, 12 K, 2 BB) Sat. (G1): So. RH Tyler Barnette (1-0, 0.00, 4 K, 3 BB) vs. So. LH Rob Zastryzny (1-1, 5.52, 13 K, 5 BB) Sat. (G2): Jr. RH Corey Roberts (1-1, 4.74, 9 K, 6 BB) vs. Fr. RH Brandon Platts (0-0, 3.86, 0 K, 0 BB Sun.: RSr. Joe Yermal (2-1, 1.50, 8 K, 2 BB) vs. Jr. LH Blake Holovach (1-0, 5.87, 11 K, 6 BB)

Mizzou took 2 of 3 from Auburn earlier this year but has played .500 ball since.

Baseball America picked them to finish 5th in the Big 12 and list OF Blake Brown (12th) and RHP Eric Anderson (15th) as two of the top 15 draft prospects in the 2012 Draft out of the Big 12. LHP Rob Zastryzny (7th) is listed as on of the top propsects in the 2013 MLB Draft class from teh conference.

• After making seven straight NCAA regionals from 2003-09, Missouri missed the tournament the last two seasons. Pitching could lead the Tigers back to the regionals, as they have a nice mix of veterans and newcomers on the mound. Jr. RHP Eric Anderson (3-0, 4.93, 46 IP/26 SO) is fully recovered from shoulder surgery in 2010, and he'll form a strong weekend rotation with So. LHP Rob Zastryzny (2-5, 4.33, 87 IP/70 SO) and Jr. RHP Blake Holovach (4-3, 6.06, 68 IP/47 SO at Coffeyville, Kan., CC). The bullpen will be in the hands of freshmen Brett Graves and Brandon Platts, both of whom were drafted last June.
[/quote]

Tonights game is a perfect example of why I think the pitching has disappointed. As of the bottom of the 7th we have hit 5 batters, four of which have scored. 4 of them had 2 strikes when hit as well…now in the 7th, we are making error after error to compound the problems. We’ve gone from 2 back to 5 back so far with 3 errors. Of note, we’ve stranded 5 batters over the last 2 innings, including men on 2nd and 3rd with one out. We have 10 hits thru 7.

[quote=“919R, post:16, topic:26457”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:14, topic:26457”][quote=“919R, post:13, topic:26457”][quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:12, topic:26457”]I have only been to one game so far.
this year.

[/quote]

Tonights game is a perfect example of why I think the pitching has disappointed. As of the bottom of the 7th we have hit 5 batters, four of which have scored. 4 of them had 2 strikes when hit as well…now in the 7th, we are making error after error to compound the problems. We’ve gone from 2 back to 5 back so far with 3 errors. Of note, we’ve stranded 5 batters over the last 2 innings, including men on 2nd and 3rd with one out. We have 10 hits thru 7.[/quote]

No doubt that the hit batters hurt us, especially with 2 strikes. Most of those were leadoff batter also.

I still believe that the pitching is the least of our problems. Fielding has been terrible, keeping innings alive, just giving away runs.

At least it sounds like the bats are coming alive but we just can’t get the clutch hits. Leaving way too many on base.

Fielding is downright scary right now. More interested in the defense the rest of weekend than if they actually win or lose.

This has to be a make or break year for Hibbs, right? This is his third decade as the coach and still no trip to Super Regionals, something has to give.

Is that how you really feel or are you just trolling to feed your obsession with Tim Collie?