Niner Football Traditions

I haven’t seen any prohibition on that, but it might just be because they haven’t thought of it yet.[/quote]

People can paint their chests in Halton, I don’t see why football would be any different.[/quote]
This is football, everything must be controlled. ::slight_smile:

If we ring the bell after scores we might as well call ourselves Wake Forest Jr. Field looks like theirs. Coaching staff. Players. I don’t want an even accidental similarity with respect to traditions.

Whistle would be great

Nice to see things like this in the twitterverse “I’m staying at school this weekend for the UNCC spring football game.”

Those questioning the Bell might want to take a look at the history of our campus.

Belk Tower used to hold the Victory Bell that was rung after Niner Victories. It is still rung at graduation. That’s not an inkwell on the tower, it’s a spot where the bell used to sit. It was just vandalized/messed with one too many times, so they moved it. You are exactly right though, lot’s of schools have a bell. Bells are an ancient form of communication, especially in the Bible Belt. In Fact, I’m almost certain every FBS program in North Carolina incorporates a bell in some form or fashion. If we don’t take time to appreciate why ours is significant, it is just another bell, if we do take that time, then people understand that we are reviving an old tradition. I’m happy we have an old tradition that’s hopefully going to stick though. We do need the significance of these traditions on our website/programs or nobody will know any better. Something like this: http://www.goheels.com/fls/3350/Football/2012_Fan_Guide.pdf
Please don’t hate me for that, but I honestly feel like it’s something they do an incredible job of.

Edit: They’ve actually taken the traditions page off of that. They had one the last time I went to a game at Kenan, and I was blown away by it.

Getting in an argument with Parking Services.

This might be the most true statement in the history of ninernation.net. I understand they have to do their job, but I hope somebody at the University tells them to chill on game day. They have the opportunity to absolutely ruin football, and I’m actually a little worried they are going to take a advantage of it.

And just to be clear, the Bell is not a bad idea and it does keep with a longstanding tradition on campus. A train whistle, however, would remind all Niners of the comment about how we should not get in front of “the train.”

I really like the train whistle idea. Can I get a WOOT WOOT! Where’s the gold at? Signifies that we got this thing rolling. Trains are symbols of hard work, and it will also serve as a reminder of our detractors. Love it.

I used to think it was cool when Engineering was still in Smith. They’d hook an engine up down in the basement to dyno and the exhaust pipe came out the front side of Smith and up the wall. They’d rev it and everyone inside the library would hear it. You’d see exhaust belowing out the top of Smith. Wish they had that setup at the new Motorsports area. Everytime we scored they could rev up an engine!

I would love for green shirts to be given out to all students for big games. I understand this is expensive, but a sea of [the same shade) green will look awesome.

Hell, I would love for Cookout to sell green Cookout shirts like state does. But that’s another undertaking.

Whistle can’t be that expensive. Would be an awesome touch. A/V could put Bub Rub on the LCD saying the whistle goes WHOOOOOO

Troll being serious here:

1. A killer entrance song/tune for the team to get pumped up.
  2. Get a cannon ( we already have the long rifle) everybody has a bell or get a giant drum or a gong
    3. Don’t do the wave
  3. Organize a certain yell/cheer for kickoffs and one for kickoff returns (you might be using this one alot :))
  4. If you don’t get a cannon/gong/drum get an air raid siren They are pretty awesome.
  5. 49er mascot waves team onto the field.
  6. Don’t leave early like UNC fans

I like that the school is trying to come up with traditions but sometimes you have to let these come naturally. Not really fond of The Gold Mine as our student section either primarily because my first thought is David Scott and Jim Utter. I’d prefer mine shaft if they wanted to name the student section.

[quote=“shaqots, post:34, topic:27722”]I like that the school is trying to come up with traditions but sometimes you have to let these come naturally. Not really fond of The Gold Mine as our student section either primarily because my first thought is David Scott and Jim Utter. I’d prefer mine shaft if they wanted to name the student section.[/quote]I’ve said this before about the “Queen City Army”…can’t we just be Niner Nation? Do we have to dilute our brand on purpose?

I like the idea of having a really cool kickoff chant. Has there been any mention/attempt of this?

Something that’s been done for soccer games lately is an “OOOOOOH N-I-N-E-R-S!” on goal kicks and suck. Thought right away that it could carry over.

Something that’s been done for soccer games lately is an “OOOOOOH N-I-N-E-R-S!” on goal kicks and suck. Thought right away that it could carry over.[/quote]

I’d like that when they’re kicking off to us… however I’m a pretty big fan of the OOOOOOOOOOOOOO meow that caught on we’re kicking to them. It’s different.

Something that’s been done for soccer games lately is an “OOOOOOH N-I-N-E-R-S!” on goal kicks and suck. Thought right away that it could carry over.[/quote]

I’d like that when they’re kicking off to us… however I’m a pretty big fan of the OOOOOOOOOOOOOO meow that caught on we’re kicking to them. It’s different.[/quote]

I think the chemtrails have finally gotten to you.

Yeah, aren’t there old mine whistles? Never been much into mining, but I feel like that’s a thing…

Like all of it, so far.[/quote]

You guys need to look up the definition of tradition. At Charlotte the BELL is already a tradition, a whistle is not. THIS is why we can’t start or maintain traditions, there’s always some folks who want something else even if it’s not tradition.