Niner Football Traditions

[quote=ā€œBig Dave, post:33, topic:27722ā€]Troll being serious here:

3. Donā€™t do the wave[/quote]Iā€™m embarrassed every time I see this at a Panthers game.

Something thatā€™s been done for soccer games lately is an ā€œOOOOOOH N-I-N-E-R-S!ā€ on goal kicks and suck. Thought right away that it could carry over.[/quote]

Iā€™d like that when theyā€™re kicking off to usā€¦ however Iā€™m a pretty big fan of the OOOOOOOOOOOOOO meow that caught on weā€™re kicking to them. Itā€™s different.[/quote]

Ummā€¦ what??

[quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:27722ā€]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151531971073844&set=a.10151531970763844.1073741826.69459573843&type=1&theater

Slideshow of Tailgating/Parking Townhall Meeting Powerpoint presentation.[/quote]
You can see how poorly attended the meeting was. Nobody knew about it. The people in the front row were the presenters. There were barely as many people in the audience as them.

Football Town Hall Meeting 4/15/13 by UNC Charlotte - Stake Your Claim, on Flickr

[quote=ā€œemf, post:43, topic:27722ā€][quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:27722ā€]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151531971073844&set=a.10151531970763844.1073741826.69459573843&type=1&theater

Slideshow of Tailgating/Parking Townhall Meeting Powerpoint presentation.[/quote]
You can see how poorly attended the meeting was. Nobody knew about it. The people in the front row were the presenters. There were barely as many people in the audience as them.

Football Town Hall Meeting 4/15/13 by UNC Charlotte - Stake Your Claim, on Flickr[/quote]

No shit. It was at 3PM ON A MONDAY! You hold town hall style meetings around 6pm, so that people can actually attend. Maybe they wanted low attendance. No risk of someone asking a tough question.

Not sure why they felt the need to have this meeting. The first town hall meeting was well attended despite 3pm on a weekday; but then it was about getting major news out. This was a details meeting that could have been a press release.

I think the idea was to address the facultyā€™s concerns about footballā€™s impact on their work. Problem was, they announced it in one tweet and a random facebook post. There wasnā€™t an email from Phil to all faculty/staff announcing it.

There were emails sent to faculty and staff, not from Phil, but from Athletics.

Man you guys who hate the wave are jacked.

smgdhaotp.

Video of the Town Hall Meeting:

http://nineronline.com/2013/town-hall-meeting-april-15-2013/

I really like the bell tradition as other s have said, it is a real tradition that we have going back into the history of our school.

Here is the bell being rung in 1965 when we went from Charlotte College to UNC Charlotte:

Not trying to get flamed, but seriously, am I the only one that doesnā€™t feel drawn to the ā€œBell Traditionā€? Iā€™m willing to bet that most Charlotte alums donā€™t know it exists. Not trying to be a downer, but outside of the mentioning during commencement, the bell is no way remembered or recognized around campus as anything special. Itā€™s a generic emblem. Iā€™ve heard Dan Morrill talk about the ā€œBeat Dukeā€ chant going on while it was rung the day we became a University, but other than that the bell doesnā€™t hold any significance really. I just donā€™t understand why itā€™s ā€œtraditionā€ is coveted all the sudden. Itā€™s not ancient. Itā€™s not a landmark. Itā€™s prob kept in storage until needed for graduation ceremonies. The site/sound of it doesnā€™t releash fond memories of Charlotte for me. Iā€™m pretty sure most Charlotte alums would identify.

[quote=ā€œdonkeyjaws, post:51, topic:27722ā€]Not trying to get flamed, but seriously, am I the only one that doesnā€™t feel drawn to the ā€œBell Traditionā€? Iā€™m willing to bet that most Charlotte alums donā€™t know it exists. Not trying to be a downer, but outside of the mentioning during commencement, the bell is no way remembered or recognized around campus as anything special. Itā€™s a generic emblem. Iā€™ve heard Dan Morrill talk about the ā€œBeat Dukeā€ chant going on while it was rung the day we became a University, but other than that the bell doesnā€™t hold any significance really. I just donā€™t understand why itā€™s ā€œtraditionā€ is coveted all the sudden. Itā€™s not ancient. Itā€™s not a landmark. Itā€™s prob kept in storage until needed for graduation ceremonies. The site/sound of it doesnā€™t releash fond memories of Charlotte for me. Iā€™m pretty sure most Charlotte alums would identify.[/quote]Iā€™ll be honest, it doesnā€™t do much for me right now, but Iā€™m ok with using it and starting a tradition with it. If we didnā€™t use it, Iā€™d be fine with that too. Call me neutral.

You have to start somewhere.

Any alums who donā€™t know about the bell or its history, its their own fault. That does not mean its not historically significant. It has been around since the 50s I believe and used to be rung with regularity for all big university events and sporting victories. Many alums remember it fondly, Iā€™m sure of that and now many more will, going forward.

Im not super attached to the bell, but it is one of the few things that is even close to a tradition so we prob should build on it.

Itā€™s one of the few long standing traditions we have at the school.

Long live the bell.

If they attended graduation then they know it exists.

As a freshman this is the first Iā€™ve heard of it.
But hey, lets build on it!

If Miss Bonnie did it, its a tradition. [/end]

If i remember correctly the student body president rang the bell when Chancellor Dubois announced we would be starting football.