Niner Times Op-Ed defends wearing other schools' colors

[quote=“chargrad2008, post:19, topic:30068”]Is it even worth sending the pile of word garbage to Judy’s email?[/quote] Believe her or not, Judy has told me part of her annual talk to incoming freshman during orientation day is admonishing them that they are now 49ers and advising them to stop wearing other school’s gear.

Why did niner times give this kid the floor?

Why would any intelligent free thinking 18 year old look at Judy and feel compelled to listen or follow her suggestion?

Real question…

Well, they didn’t print my reply to this article.

"Wearing another school’s color while attending UNC Charlotte only devalues oneself. If the writer thinks UF is so wonderful he should apply and attend there, unless he deems himself unworthy.
Personally, I deem him unworthy of Charlotte.
This being a free country, of course, if he wants to walk about looking like a fool, he may do so. "

Is that really so bad as to be censured?

Why would any intelligent free thinking 18 year old look at Judy and feel compelled to listen or follow her suggestion?

Real question…[/quote] I’m just telling you what she said. We already know your opinion on Judy And NOTHING is going to change that.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:24, topic:30068”]Well, they didn’t print my reply to this article.

"Wearing another school’s color while attending UNC Charlotte only devalues oneself. If the writer thinks UF is so wonderful he should apply and attend there, unless he deems himself unworthy.
This being a free country, of course, if he want to walk about looking like a fool, he may do so. "

Is that really so bad as to be censured?[/quote]

You can’t hurt college kids feelings anymore, or they will protest and get mommy and daddy on the phone. Didn’t you know that?

clt says typical millenial.

[quote=“EE9er, post:26, topic:30068”][quote=“4ever niner, post:24, topic:30068”]Well, they didn’t print my reply to this article.

This being a free country, of course, if he want to walk about looking like a fool, he may do so. "

You can’t hurt college kids feelings anymore, or they will protest and get mommy and daddy on the phone. Didn’t you know that?[/quote] Yea, well that A hole hurts my feeling with his dumbass opinion, so your know… ;D

In case they remove mine:

Embarrassing. You are a microcosm of the largest single issue at our school. You are not only an invested student…but a student representative of the official student newspaper trying to justify how it’s ok for you or another student to support another school ahead of your own. You should be ashamed. You have no Niner Pride at all if that is the case and are an embarrassment to the student body and the school that is giving you the platform to make such idiotic opinions. You are not the authority of school pride because you obviously have no idea what that is. You can’t be fired I’m sure…but you should be removed from your position (at the official school newspaper) for promoting such a terrible opinion regarding student pride

In case they remove mine:

This is a travesty of an article. These other schools have done nothing to advance your education, have done nothing to advance your life, do not represent you, and don’t have any affiliation with you.

The school(s) you attend(ed) put athletes on the floor to represent the institution and the student body. By supporting other institutions you are doing your own school a disservice and it is, ultimately, detrimental to the school’s advancement and, therefore, your own advancement. Loyalty to another program while on campus is a terrible and sad thing.

Those other schools do not care about you, they do not represent you, and your support of them is ultimately hurting your own institution.

You are lucky enough to attend an institution that has achieved somewhat rarified air, athletically. In basketball it’s a final four and prolonged and sustained success up through the mid-2000’s with a new coach that is now nominated for the basketball hall of fame. In soccer a couple of college cup appearances with a national title appearance just a few years ago. In golf, sustained top-10 to 15 finishes with a number 1 ranking very recently. A new football program in a great facility that has made the fastest transition to FBS in history. In baseball, multiple NCAA tournament appearances, etc. The list goes on and on. Why do you think we won far and away more conference titles than anyone in the Atlantic 10? You should ask Memphis how many conference championships they won in CUSA basketball while they were in it with Charlotte. By the way, we do this with integrity, unlike our friends up the road at UNC-CHeat who have been perpetrating the greatest cheating scandal in NCAA history for three decades. Easier to win when your players don’t have to go to class and they have their grades and transcripts changed to keep them eligible. Easier to recruit when they’re being paid. I’m glad we’ve been so successful without resorting to these methods.

This article is a travesty.

His sister is straight insane

https://twitter.com/jasyours_/status/679767104665587712

https://twitter.com/jasyours_/status/679765214762500097

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:31, topic:30068”]His sister is straight insane

https://twitter.com/jasyours_/status/679767104665587712

https://twitter.com/jasyours_/status/679765214762500097[/quote]

Wow. My brother wrote an idiotic piece, wants to be a journalist, got called on being an idiot, and now I’m going to do nothing but cuss at people rather than try to engage in any sort of dialogue.

Of course, she’s doing it because there’s no strong argument to be made. So if you start winning the debate against someone who went so far as to PUBLISH a piece, then I’m just going to cuss at you. How dare you ever question something in print? How dare you?

Ed Averette ‏@EdAverette22 · 2h2 hours ago @Normbulance look at my profile pic, I graduated. You're seriously missing the point of my op-ed, in which I'm speaking out against the same

Just making sure I read this tweet correctly…is he saying we misunderstood his point? That he is speaking out against the same issue we are accusing him of? If we missed that point, he really must be terrible at expressing his opinion because that is not what I got out of reading his piece at all.

If he is expressing our same view. I apologize I guess but sheesh…figure out how to express a point of view more clearly if you’re going to publish it to the masses!!!

f*** HIM AND HER >:D

Here’s my response if they censor it:

You sir, ARE part of the problem. “Diversity” has nothing to do with it. School spirit and pride do, and you, sir, have yours elsewhere. I suggest you and anyone else who feel as you do, to please transfer to your REAL beloved school of choice as soon as possible. This includes your sibling who’s now profanely ranting on Twitter about this now.

Proudly, Class of 1973

If he was attempting satire, he overestimated the intelligence of his target audience.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:24, topic:30068”]Well, they didn’t print my reply to this article.

This being a free country, of course, if he wants to walk about looking like a fool, he may do so. "

It’s not devalue onself, it’s devalue your degree. Perception is reality, if you feel your school is a lesser school than an employer may as well. I would not interview much less hire him for not understanding this logic. Corporately we have to have the best, folks passionate about their history and future. It is ok to pull for, support and enjoy another team… But understand your university comes first, and express that.

[quote=“49er1, post:34, topic:30068”]f*** HIM AND HER >:D

Here’s my response if they censor it:

You sir, ARE part of the problem. “Diversity” has nothing to do with it. School spirit and pride do, and you, sir, have yours elsewhere. I suggest you and anyone else who feel as you do, to please transfer to your REAL beloved school of choice as soon as possible. This includes your sibling who’s now profanely ranting on Twitter about this now.

Proudly, Class of 1973[/quote]

I understand where he’s coming from but this kid is way off base in this instance.
Yes, this is America and you do have the right to your own opinion. That being said, you also have to accept the consequences of said opinion.
We’ve got a respectable school with a respectable (albeit currently struggling) athletics program. If he felt that strongly about Florida then that’s where he should have went to school. I always hated this about students who seemed to have loyalty’s towards schools. Florida athletics could care less about some guy that attends school on another campus. Why are you wearing gear from another school on the campus you currently attend? We are not some D2 school out in the middle of no where.

Reminds me of a cheerleader that was in one of my classes back in the mid 2000’s. She was a Charlotte cheerleader and wore that same Tennessee sweatshirt everyday to class. And I mean everyday! I’ve seen students at other schools do the same thing but it’s not nearly as bad as what we have at Charlotte.

I’m assuming enough people saw this kid wearing the gear of another school and somebody finally stepped up to tell him about himself and he didn’t take it well.
His sister’s not doing him any favors either. I hate that we’ve got somebody like this writing for the school newspaper.

I’m proud of being a Niner because its halls housed me, its students became some of my life long friends, and its classes and teachers trained me for a career that provides for me and my family now. School X, Y, & Z didn’t do that for me, so why should I support them over my alma mater?

clt bets he is hired by the obeserver tomorrow.

Brought a tear…
:stuck_out_tongue: