Niner Times Op-Ed defends wearing other schools' colors

[quote=“TRLeader, post:33, topic:30068”]

Ed Averette ‏@EdAverette22 · 2h2 hours ago
@Normbulance look at my profile pic, I graduated. You’re seriously missing the point of my op-ed, in which I’m speaking out against the same

Just making sure I read this tweet correctly…is he saying we misunderstood his point? That he is speaking out against the same issue we are accusing him of? If we missed that point, he really must be terrible at expressing his opinion because that is not what I got out of reading his piece at all.

If he is expressing our same view. I apologize I guess but sheesh…figure out how to express a point of view more clearly if you’re going to publish it to the masses!!![/quote]
Exactly
That’s the best part of it. He wrote it and not pleased how people took it!

Then played “diversity” card…whuuuut

The sad thing is he actually thinks he wrote something of value and has stated that we are missing the context. The context being, I feel like UNC Charlotte offered me nothing in value while I was there so it is ok to show my pride in another school that offered me nothing in value…oh and don’t judge me or say anything about because I believe I’m justified.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

The Panthers are a prime example of this trend this year. I don’t remember which news station did the survey but they asked last year how many people considered themselves Panther fans and about 30% responded yes. This year that number had jumped to 60% and that was a month ago, so I suspect the number is higher now.

If Charlotte was ranked in basketball and competing in football I bet the number of non school items worn on campus would be dimnished. We all know it shouldn’t be that way but its the culture we live in today and that is pretty sad.

[quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

The Panthers are a prime example of this trend this year. I don’t remember which news station did the survey but they asked last year how many people considered themselves Panther fans and about 30% responded yes. This year that number had jumped to 60% and that was a month ago, so I suspect the number is higher now.

If Charlotte was ranked in basketball and competing in football I bet the number of non school items worn on campus would be dimnished. We all know it shouldn’t be that way but its the culture we live in today and that is pretty sad.[/quote]
Sadly we have a 2 generations going on 3 of students that never saw us in ncaa.
Freaking shameful negligence

Thanks Judy

Well it’s obvious isn’t it? Because school X, Y, or Z was the one your parents liked and watched on TV. So you should support them…I mean, don’t support them enough to actually attend those schools, just support them enough to wear their flag on a different schools campus.

Brought a tear…
:p[/quote]

I transferred in and I don’t have the life long friends that some of you have, but dammit, the green keeps me going when we when and tears my heart out when we lose. You are my people and to tell my people that it’s ok to not wear the green on our campus, in our house annoys me to no end.
We are Charlotte, We are the nation, We are the nine. We are the squared sevens. Wear your green in our house.

Brought a tear…
:p[/quote]

I transferred in and I don’t have the life long friends that some of you have, but dammit, the green keeps me going when we when and tears my heart out when we lose. You are my people and to tell my people that it’s ok to not wear the green on our campus, in our house annoys me to no end.
We are Charlotte, We are the nation, We are the nine. We are the squared sevens. Wear your green in our house.[/quote]

None of the Niner friends I have now we’re friends when I was in school. They have all been born out of love for the Niners after graduation and I am thankful for each of them and plan on having them around the rest of my life.

Its always nice to see someone wearing our stuff, especially out of the Charlotte area. Just mentioning it creates somewhat of a relationship.
To wear whatever others buy at Mimic Mart means nothing.

Been off the board for a while.

That article made me sad.

When you have an Alma mater, you must support it in every way possible and be loyal.

No ifs, ands or buts.

If you don’t have the heart to do that, then I just don’t understand you.

While the article bummed me out, I have to say that the posts in this thread and the comments on the article made me proud of my Alma Mater! I think that alumni like those on this board will help to instill passion in current and future students and hopefully decrease dual allegiances. I anticipate that with football and more regional/national exposure it should hopefully decrease as well, with more students growing up Niner fans.

Yep.

Best part about the article has been the heated responses. The fact that this article has proven that there ARE passionate Niners is definitely refreshing. An article like this 10 yrs ago would have gotten no responses or worse…responses agreeing with the author.

I like that the article was written now…for no other reason than it fired up a fanbase that doesn’t seem to get fired up very often.

Maybe…that was his plan all along and he is in fact a genius! Nah…

People are looking for something to hold on to with this school. We are not really a commuter school anymore and people are looking for a reason to care. It just so happens that our athletics suck now and our school is as bad as ever about marketing our academic achievements.

Build a winning culture and this type of attitude will be an afterthought.

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

If Charlotte was ranked in basketball and competing in football I bet the number of non school items worn on campus would be dimnished. We all know it shouldn’t be that way but its the culture we live in today and that is pretty sad.[/quote]

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Since you’ve been harping on this kid’s multi-team allegiance can you explain your recent Twitter profile photo wearing SC gear and listing yourself as a SC sports fan before a mention of Charlotte? And even though you’ve changed your profile you still list yourself as a USC football fan first. Absolute hypocrite and a much bigger part of the problem considering you received scholarship $ to come to Charlotte.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Of course, there are always one or two exceptions.

[quote=“ninermike, post:53, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Since you’ve been harping on this kid’s multi-team allegiance can you explain your recent Twitter profile photo wearing SC gear and listing yourself as a SC sports fan before a mention of Charlotte? And even though you’ve changed your profile you still list yourself as a USC football fan first. Absolute hypocrite and a much bigger part of the problem considering you received scholarship $ to come to Charlotte.[/quote]
Cool your jets old man. Lay off the egg nog and posting. Bring a lucid thought next time.

The discussion is about on campus gear

I can name 5 posters here who like SEC football. Has 0.0 to do with discussion.

Thanks for helping fund my education AND congrats to your loyalty to admin who didn’t attend Uncc that cares for themselves over well being of program’s health. Sux for you entire board sees the light?

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:55, topic:30068”][quote=“ninermike, post:53, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Since you’ve been harping on this kid’s multi-team allegiance can you explain your recent Twitter profile photo wearing SC gear and listing yourself as a SC sports fan before a mention of Charlotte? And even though you’ve changed your profile you still list yourself as a USC football fan first. Absolute hypocrite and a much bigger part of the problem considering you received scholarship $ to come to Charlotte.[/quote]
Cool your jets old man. Lay off the egg nog and posting. Bring a lucid thought next time.

Thanks for helping fund my education AND congrats to your loyalty to admin who didn’t attend Uncc that cares for themselves over well being of program’s health. Sux for you entire board sees the light?[/quote]

How convenient that the conversation is about on campus gear. I actually pull for South Carolina myself and enjoy SEC football. The problem is when you put other schools above Charlotte which is exactly what you are doing. Where’s the mention of Charlotte football on your Twitter profile? What impression do you think others may get when they see a former athlete profiling an SEC team vs. Charlotte? You are guilty of the same thing the writer is. Got nothing to do with the admin.

[quote=“ninermike, post:53, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Since you’ve been harping on this kid’s multi-team allegiance can you explain your recent Twitter profile photo wearing SC gear and listing yourself as a SC sports fan before a mention of Charlotte? And even though you’ve changed your profile you still list yourself as a USC football fan first. Absolute hypocrite and a much bigger part of the problem considering you received scholarship $ to come to Charlotte.[/quote] Armies along the Western Front in WWI declared a truce on Christmas Day. Reportedly, Hitler hated that. Some people just will not take a day off.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:57, topic:30068”][quote=“ninermike, post:53, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Since you’ve been harping on this kid’s multi-team allegiance can you explain your recent Twitter profile photo wearing SC gear and listing yourself as a SC sports fan before a mention of Charlotte? And even though you’ve changed your profile you still list yourself as a USC football fan first. Absolute hypocrite and a much bigger part of the problem considering you received scholarship $ to come to Charlotte.[/quote] Armies along the Western Front in WWI declared a truce on Christmas Day. Reportedly, Hitler hated that. Some people just will not take a day off.[/quote]

Hope you had an amazing Christmas 4ever :slight_smile:

[quote=“ninermike, post:56, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:55, topic:30068”][quote=“ninermike, post:53, topic:30068”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:44, topic:30068”][quote=“winsel1081, post:43, topic:30068”]It would be interesting to know the percentage of students that don’t count the school they are attending as their #1. I think this truly is a problem that exist at at most not Power 5 conference schools. Those are the schools that most are exposed to growing up and its engrained in their heads. Some of its a societal problem in that everyone wants to pull for the ‘winner’ and wear their gear.

Thanks Judy[/quote]

Thanks for helping fund my education AND congrats to your loyalty to admin who didn’t attend Uncc that cares for themselves over well being of program’s health. Sux for you entire board sees the light?[/quote]

How convenient that the conversation is about on campus gear. I actually pull for South Carolina myself and enjoy SEC football. The problem is when you put other schools above Charlotte which is exactly what you are doing. Where’s the mention of Charlotte football on your Twitter profile? What impression do you think others may get when they see a former athlete profiling an SEC team vs. Charlotte? You are guilty of the same thing the writer is. Got nothing to do with the admin.[/quote]
yah…uh no. you 2 have matching IQs, agendas. Always have.

Who is “you 2”? and what are the matching agendas?

Still waiting for an explanation regarding how it’s ok for you to support South Carolina football and show your allegiance to them over Charlotte but it’s not ok for the NT writer to show his to Florida? You two are the one’s that seem to have matching agendas.

It’s not only important that we have students wearing Niner gear on campus but it’s equally or even more important for alumni to be supporting Charlotte whenever possible. By highlighting SC football on your twitter feed and previously wearing SC gear on your Twitter feed you fall into the exact same bucket as all of these students wearing gear from other schools on campus. Virtually every point made against the NT writer can be made against you.