Niners baseball back on track

The thought of our current AD hiring a new baseball coach is not a pleasant one at all. I think we only have 3 seniors on this year’s team, and we have some goot freshmen. With that said, I thought we would be better than we are this year.

I’m also a little baffled at how our rpi is THAT BAD. We are 2-3 against SEC/ACC schools. FIU has a better rpi and we won 2 out of 3 against them. We got swept by Southern Miss but their rpi is top 20. Regardless, I have walked away from our last 4 games in a bad mood. [/quote]

With what we pay we can’t afford anything that we know for sure will be better, assistants at major programs make more than Hibbs I would bet, or close enough to his salary that it wouldn’t be worth them moving to take the position. Take Southern Miss for example, they pay in total $410,000 out to their coaches. I doubt we even pay half of that, not to mention the recruiting budget we have compared to other schools in this conference.

EDIT: If you think we should be paying our head coach a lot more than 81,000 then I think you may be on to something.[/quote]

No argument from me JB.

I keep hearing that we have one program on campus that consumes much more of what their share of the budget should be. I’m trying to determine which program that may be. We know it is not Baseball, Football, Men’s Basketball, or Men’s Soccer.

The thought of our current AD hiring a new baseball coach is not a pleasant one at all. I think we only have 3 seniors on this year’s team, and we have some goot freshmen. With that said, I thought we would be better than we are this year.

I’m also a little baffled at how our rpi is THAT BAD. We are 2-3 against SEC/ACC schools. FIU has a better rpi and we won 2 out of 3 against them. We got swept by Southern Miss but their rpi is top 20. Regardless, I have walked away from our last 4 games in a bad mood. [/quote]

With what we pay we can’t afford anything that we know for sure will be better, assistants at major programs make more than Hibbs I would bet, or close enough to his salary that it wouldn’t be worth them moving to take the position. Take Southern Miss for example, they pay in total $410,000 out to their coaches. I doubt we even pay half of that, not to mention the recruiting budget we have compared to other schools in this conference.

EDIT: If you think we should be paying our head coach a lot more than 81,000 then I think you may be on to something.[/quote]

No argument from me JB.

I keep hearing that we have one program on campus that consumes much more of what their share of the budget should be. I’m trying to determine which program that may be. We know it is not Baseball, Football, Men’s Basketball, or Men’s Soccer.[/quote] Cara says you can kiss her ass. ;D

The problem with #family is the AD isn’t just in the position of considering replacing the coach, but they also have to consider the potential loss of the coach’s AD-employed spouse as well if the coach gets fired. It’s amazing HR allows this situation to exist in more than one instance.

I have to ask - Why did UNCC let John Maine go? He would be an ideal candidate to coach our team. Drafted out of UNCC, Pitched in MLB for 9 years, has MLB knowledge that he could pass on to the team and lives in our back yard.

clt asks about the game today?

Niner baseball is back!

Niner baseball is back![/quote]

Was Bobby at the game last night? ::slight_smile:

Me too. Our RPI seems like it should be higher…In any case, we ARE better than last year (it is clear if you actually follow the games) regardless of the record or RPI.

Back to back homers was fun last night. The crowd was pretty pathetic but it was 45 degrees and it was Winthrop not NC State.

I don’t really know what happened to John Maine. He was on the staff as a Volunteer Assistant last year but didn’t come back this year.

Niners defeat 12th ranked FAU 12-7. FAU WAS 8-1 in conference and had some decent OOC wins, including sweeping Mississippi State, ranked 11th at the time.

clt saw Alan major at the Huntersville target.

[quote=“cltniners, post:52, topic:30208”]clt saw Alan major at the Huntersville target.[/quote] Did Clt ask why Major was not shopping at Neiman Marcus with his loot?

[quote=“49r9r, post:51, topic:30208”]Niners defeat 12th ranked FAU 12-7. FAU WAS 8-1 in conference and had some decent OOC wins, including sweeping Mississippi State, ranked 11th at the time.[/quote]Niners still have a shot at a decent conference record. Some lower level teams still left to play.

[Please skip the “we are a lower level team” comment]

After this weekend, we will have played what should be 2 of the 3 best teams in the conference this year.

Niners win in 15 at FAU. Now 5-7 in league with the hardest part of the schedule mostly over (Still have a series against Rice)

We won 2 out of 3 against a ranked team. And 3 of our conference losses were against Southern Miss, who is now 11-1 in the conference, 2 games ahead of Rice and FAU. Half of our conference games have been against top 20 rpi teams, and we would still be in the conference tournament if it started tomorrow.

Hopefully the team can build some momentum off of what was truly a great series, especially with the bats. Anybody know whether that reliever that came out of the pen and threw 7 scoreless innings for us can start some games for us?

Unbelievable effort by Holden Capps! Came in with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the 8th, and we had just walked in the tying run. He gets a big out to get out of that jam. Then pitches 7 more scoreless innings, allowing only 2 hits.

As far as him starting, that’s a good question. I know he was used as a starter some in JUCO. I wouldn’t mind giving him a shot, since we’ve struggled to find a consistent Saturday starter this year. You hate to take a solid lefty out of the bullpen though.

Holden Capps named C-USA Pitcher of the Week & Drew Ober named Co-Hitter of the Week. Ober’s second time winning the award.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=210881488