Niners on KenPom.com

Maybe I’m late to the game, but this page is freaking awesome …

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Charlotte

Except for the fact it ranks us as 89th.

And the fact that they have Shamarr Bowden listed as major contributor and Di’juan Harris as limited role.

That’s because they take into account margin of victory/loss.

it shows Harris as having a “Limited Role” and Bowden as a “Major Contributor” hahahahaha, enough said (little late with this i guess)

why are we having so many problems creating turnovers this year? style of defense? Not being aggressive and hoping other team misses the jumper?

Well I think it is about right personally. It takes into account the fact that we get flattened like pancakes most of the time when we play decent competition. I bet if we win the next 5 games we are ranked by them at 35-45 which is about right in my opinion.

Tell me honestly, if i said we were betting for YOUR house and car, that you would take us plus 10 at Rhode Island.

Can’t trust us yet. Hell we could win by 12 or 2, or lose by 28.

It just means that shamarr shot every single time that he got the ball and that Di’Juan is more of a distributor.

A

They have us going 2-4 in our last 6 games and being 21-9? That would make us 20-10, maybe the site has some bugzzzzzz. Seems the adding W and L would be the easiest formula on this site.

Margin of victory is not why we are ranked 89th on his formula.

His “luck” stat is. We are the #1 luckiest team in the country, and as a result, he discounts us worse than any other team in the nation.

The whole thing is bunk. Wins and losses matter. He de-emphasizes record too much. Using his logic, you could discredit the national champion for only winning both of their final four games by a few points. Last time I checked, they get to hang a banner…

Style of defense…we are not pressing to force the TO this year. Instead trying to pack the paint and rely on missed jumpers from the outside. Which seems to work for this team. Opponent shooting % is down this year. We just get blown out when a team gets hot from the outside to force us into a different D.

I’ll take luck if it gets us dancing. :slight_smile:

There is a place to get coffee now, its called Starbucks

Sorry JN

In all seriousness, in the 12 yrs I’ve watched Lutz his #1 trademark is we in general play to our competition via hanging with good teams but can’t step on the throat of Fordham.

But…

Our achillies heel this year is that we can’t hang with good competition AND we barely beat suspect competition.

Blown out by ODU and Dayton…and Duke and Tennessee.

We have had a few good outings but the norm is more applicable to who we are…not the few good exceptions.

IMO.

The last 6 games can confirm or change that perception though.

[quote=“metro, post:12, topic:22417”]In all seriousness, in the 12 yrs I’ve watched Lutz his #1 trademark is we in general play to our competition via hanging with good teams but can’t step on the throat of Fordham.[/quote]Or St. Bonaventure,or GW, or St Louis(yes,I know they are 7-3 in conference,but they are a lousy road team)…Maybe we can’t step on the throats of most inferior teams because we just aren’t that great a team…And that’s totally cool as far as i’m concerned.Maybe we’re just managing to slide by these teams because we are just a little better.

But…

Our achillies heel this year is that we can’t hang with good competition AND we barely beat suspect competition.

Blown out by ODU and Dayton…and Duke and Tennessee.

We have had a few good outings but the norm is more applicable to who we are…not the few good exceptions.

IMO.

The last 6 games can confirm or change that perception though.[/quote] A few good outings? Are you serious. If you are, we need to put you on a suicide watch. How pessimistic can you get? We were expected to finish near the bottom of the conference this year. Instead, We’ve won 18 games with six more to play so probably a 20+ win season. And some great wins like Louisville at Louisville, Temple, Xavier, Richmond. What did you expect this year, for us to be better than Carolina? We accomplished that too (joke)

Close wins against “bad” teams? (nevermind that any team in this league besides Fordham is not “bad” - this is a top 6 league):

From The Blackburn Review:

Last year, we witnessed a Rob Lowery coast-to-coast drive that eked out a victory against lowly Fordham, a Marcus Johnson put back at George Washington (the “sixth man” game) in the last seconds to steal a victory from the Colonials, and a MJ dunk at the buzzer to seal a win against La Salle. These were the fortunate moments that allowed UD to claim one of the last, if not [i]the [/i]last, at-large bids from the NCAA Tournament committee.

Sounds familiar huh? Only, the league is even tougher this year.

My expectation changed as the season went on.

11/1/09 - after going 11-20 last year, I would be happy with the NIT and VERY happy with the NCAA Tourney

2/15/10 - Sitting at 18-6 and 4 of our last 6 games at home, I expect the NCAA Tourney… I would be dissappointed with the NIT.

[quote=“cibik02, post:17, topic:22417”]My expectation changed as the season went on.

11/1/09 - after going 11-20 last year, I would be happy with the NIT and VERY happy with the NCAA Tourney

2/15/10 - Sitting at 18-6 and 4 of our last 6 games at home, I expect the NCAA Tourney… I would be dissappointed with the NIT.[/quote]
Absolutely correct- not making the tourney now would be a big letdown for me.

That being said it’s nice to be able to check out HP’s post of games of interest. There were no games of interest last year from Mid Dec until the A10 tourney…

A few good outings? Are you serious. If you are, we need to put you on a suicide watch. How pessimistic can you get? We were expected to finish near the bottom of the conference this year. Instead, We've won 18 games with six more to play so probably a 20+ win season. And some great wins like Louisville at Louisville, Temple, [b]Xavier[/b], Richmond. What did you expect this year, for us to be better than Carolina? We accomplished that too (joke)

Getting a little ahead of ourselves arent we?

I like Kenpom, but site was better when he still had the RPI rankings as well. Still refer to it several times a week anyway, especially when looking at what teams/conferences did over past seasons record-wise, post-season, etc.

Oddly enough, he “erased” the RPI section altogether when he stopped calculating those rankings, so can’t look at the archives for that anymore. BTW, those W-L predictions are fluid, so they will change as long as we keep winning.