NIT - #5 Seed

Not sure where the source gets its info…but it looks like the Niners are projecting a 5 seed in the NIT.

I’ve seen us as a #4 seed against La Tech, projected.

hmmmmmh - Providence

Officially, we play providence as a #5 seed. If we win, we play the winner of the kentucky/robert morris game. I saw robert morris is playing at home…is this bc they won their conference in the regular season? I’m assuming we play our first game at providence but if robert morris was to beat uk would we have a home game against them?

Yes we win and Kentucky wins, we get a home game this weekend against coach cal.

Rupp Arena is the site of the second round of the NCAA tournament and is unavailable for the NIT game. So, they moved it to Robert Morris.

Thanks for the explinations, and welcome to the board, jt03!

Dont like being on the road, but winnable game. I’d like the guys to get as much practice time possible and hopefully a couple of wins. Lets go 9ers!

This appears to be the overall bracket for the NIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NIT

How in the hell is SJU a 4 seed and us a 5 seed when we had a better record in and out of conference and held them to 40 points?

Our RPI is 68 and St. Joe’s is 82. The NIT selection committee didn’t give us much respect.

[quote=“Dowless, post:10, topic:27616”]How in the hell is SJU a 4 seed and us a 5 seed when we had a better record in and out of conference and held them to 40 points?[/quote]Probably non-conference SOS. NCAA has said they’ll punish teams that schedule weak OOC. At least they were somewhat consistent by leaving UVA and Maryland out of the NCAA bracket, but I agree that Niners should be above SJU.

2nd round games can be played through Monday the 25th is Rupp is a Thursday/Saturday site so they would be able to turnaround Rupp in time for the NIT.

That is if Kentucky doesn’t lay an egg to Robert Morris on the road. Either way, Providence is a beatable team, but we don’t know which team will show up. Hopefully they come out like they did for the 2nd half of the Richmond game.

Charlotte plays at Providence on Wednesday night, 7:15 tip-off on ESPN3, winner will face victor of Kentucky at Robert Morris.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2507/providence-friars

Providence played absolutely nobody in the non-conference, their toughest opponent was UMass (N) and they lost. They lost to two sub-200 teams (DePaul and Brown) but also beat Notre Dame and Cincinnati. The DePaul loss was at home too.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:13, topic:27616”]2nd round games can be played through Monday the 25th is Rupp is a Thursday/Saturday site so they would be able to turnaround Rupp in time for the NIT.

That is if Kentucky doesn’t lay an egg to Robert Morris on the road. Either way, Providence is a beatable team, but we don’t know which team will show up. Hopefully they come out like they did for the 2nd half of the Richmond game.[/quote]

Coach Cal will do whatever possible to turn Rupp Arena around to prevent coming to Halton, even if he has to do some of the work himself.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:14, topic:27616”]Charlotte plays at Providence on Wednesday night, 7:15 tip-off on ESPN3, winner will face victor of Kentucky at Robert Morris.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2507/providence-friars

Providence played absolutely nobody in the non-conference, their toughest opponent was UMass (N) and they lost. They lost to two sub-200 teams (DePaul and Brown) but also beat Notre Dame and Cincinnati. The DePaul loss was at home too.[/quote]

I assume Picasso’s will be showing the game on the big screen with audio?

[quote=“49r9r, post:15, topic:27616”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:13, topic:27616”]2nd round games can be played through Monday the 25th is Rupp is a Thursday/Saturday site so they would be able to turnaround Rupp in time for the NIT.

That is if Kentucky doesn’t lay an egg to Robert Morris on the road. Either way, Providence is a beatable team, but we don’t know which team will show up. Hopefully they come out like they did for the 2nd half of the Richmond game.[/quote]

Coach Cal will do whatever possible to turn Rupp Arena around to prevent coming to Halton, even if he has to do some of the work himself.[/quote]

Agree

I thought there would be a bit more excitement about this game seeing as we haven’t made a post season tournament in years.

I gotta say, pretty bad matchup for us. It wasn’t too long ago the Friars had won seven of eight in Big East play. Apart from their last lost to Cincinnati, they had won five of their previous seven home games, with the only losses coming against Pitt by 4 and UConn in overtime by three.

I see us losing by double digits unfortunately.

The NIT is obviously not the ultimate goal for the program, but I will take it as a sign of progress. We easily could have mailed in the entire season after the St. Bon loss, but for whatever reason we decided to finish strong and that was encouraging.

I don’t know much about Providence, but I suspect we can probably win if we play the way we did in the second half against Richmond. A win or two in the NIT would be great experience for our team, and hopefully give them some confidence going into the off season.

10-20, 13-17, now 21-11 (NIT).

Year four needs to be ~26-7 (NCAA). That is the logical next step and we must take it.

ESPN 3 is an online only channel/site, right? subscription needed? I don’t know anything about it and might not be the only one