NIT - #5 Seed

I won’t be as concerned about the record, but I think maintaining momentum and the NCAA’s need to be the next logical step. However, knowing how our off seasons go I’ll wait until late September/October to set any kind of expectations.

Providence is a .500 team in the Big East, which is arguable the best league in the country so they shouldn’t be taken lightly because they lost some early season games to BC and a few others. They did reel off 7 of 8 in the conference formerly known as the Big East.[/quote]

Actually Providence’s conference will still be known as the Big East; confusing, I know.[/quote]

Known only by name, not stature was my point with the comment.[/quote]Georgetown, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, Buter and I’m assuming eventually SLU & Dayton still makes for a damn fine conference. That is a conference that could get 5-6 bids in any given year.

I agree with the gist of what you are saying…I do think CUSA was the only viable option for us and we have to make the best of it. I also know that everything is fuild like s9er said and these conferences will be changing all the time, so who knows what we will end up with…
But,
I don’t think new CUSA will be better than the remaining A10. Not next year and not in the near future. Maybe that’s just the pessimist in me, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

That’s because they never win those games. If they had beaten Duke, Gonzaga and New Mexico they would surely get an at large. I also said “to a lesser degree” because I don’t think they schedule enough of those games. Temple and Xavier play a ton of good teams in the non-conference.

This year, X played Butler (previously scheduled non-conference game), @Purdue, Vandy, Cincy (neutral site) , @Tenn, and @Wake. So 6 tough resume building non-conference games.

Now some of those programs are down this year, but typically those games help a resume. Sometimes the committee will just give you extra credit for trying to challenge yourself, whether or not the teams you played were up to the standard tradition of the program. X didn’t win enough of them this year to get an at-large, but are always in the mix because of scheduling like this.

Temple played 4 good games (down from previous years) @Nova, Duke (in NJ), Syracuse (MSG), and @Kansas. They won half of those and were considered locks for the NCAAs for most of the season.

Gonzaga played 5 Big 12 schools and beat them all. But lost to Illinois and Butler. Played a soft conference schdule (St Mary’s only other decent team), blew through it and got a 1 seed.

The formula is pretty simple. Schedule 5-6 big games, win 2 or 3, win most of your sorry conference games and you will look pretty for the committee.[/quote] Davidson has to play pretty much all those games on the road. Winning road games is much tougher, especially OOC, than people give credit for. I think the adjustments teams make for playing on the road (softer D, less aggressive in general) obscure just how big an advantage home court is when the refs don’t respect you, because you only see the foul counts at the end when you try to quantify this stuff, not the style forced on the teams playing. Xavier and Temple regularly get some of those OOC games at home, so the OOC is not quite as brutal.

I think CUSA will probably be a borderline 1-3 bid conference similar to the A10 when Charlotte first entered it, with the top teams not quite elite most years and the bottom teams being gigantic anchors. I was happy to see MTSU get an NCAA bid, but it would’ve been better to see Southern Miss get one too, as that is the kind of result I think will be typical for at-large candidates out of CUSA.

I just have a feeling CUSA will not get that respect, numbers be darned. There won’t be a marquee program to give it validity.[/quote]

CUSA will have a marquee program, and it will be the Charlotte 49ers.

Mark it down![/quote]

You better be ready for the Atomic Leg Drop that is going to be delivered by the Cooley World Order on Wednesday! I got one question for the Charlotte 69ers and Coach Mid-Major, whatchu gonna do, brotha, when the Cooley World Order runs wild over you? cWo 4-Life! 8)

I just have a feeling CUSA will not get that respect, numbers be darned. There won’t be a marquee program to give it validity.[/quote]

CUSA will have a marquee program, and it will be the Charlotte 49ers.

Mark it down![/quote]

You better be ready for the Atomic Leg Drop that is going to be delivered by the Cooley World Order on Wednesday! I got one question for the Charlotte 69ers and Coach Mid-Major, whatchu gonna do, brotha, when the Cooley World Order runs wild over you? cWo 4-Life! 8)[/quote]

Wait…

…is this real life?

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:45, topic:27616”]Wait…

…is this real life?[/quote]

It is going to get real on Wednesday. Here is my prediction:

[quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:46, topic:27616”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:45, topic:27616”]Wait…

…is this real life?[/quote]

It is going to get real on Wednesday. Here is my prediction:
[/quote]

Our problems have come when we faced shooters and Providence is one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Yes, even worse than us. They appear to be a good rebounding team though.

Stopping Cotton will be the key, but he is only 6-1 and 165 lbs. I think Henry on him will limit his effectiveness.

[quote=“Dowless, post:47, topic:27616”]Our problems have come when we faced shooters and Providence is one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Yes, even worse than us. They appear to be a good rebounding team though.

Stopping Cotton will be the key, but he is only 6-1 and 165 lbs. I think Henry on him will limit his effectiveness.[/quote]
I would rather eat raw sushi off of Seth Greenberg’s bald head than listen to the garbage spewing out of your mouth. Not only will Bryce “ICE” Cotton make it rain and LaDontae “Bucktets” Henton will have an easy double-double; Kadeem “Battsman” Batts is going to eat you alive around the basket. You have a better chance of seeing Coach Mid-Major appearing on the cover of GQ than you have of beating the Friars at Ed Cooley’s Ball So Hard University. cWo 4-Life! 8)

[quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:48, topic:27616”][quote=“Dowless, post:47, topic:27616”]Our problems have come when we faced shooters and Providence is one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Yes, even worse than us. They appear to be a good rebounding team though.

Stopping Cotton will be the key, but he is only 6-1 and 165 lbs. I think Henry on him will limit his effectiveness.[/quote]
I would rather eat raw sushi off of Seth Greenberg’s bald head than listen to the garbage spewing out of your mouth. Not only will Bryce “ICE” Cotton make it rain and LaDontae “Bucktets” Henton will have an easy double-double; Kadeem “Battsman” Batts is going to eat you alive around the basket. You have a better chance of seeing Coach Mid-Major appearing on the cover of GQ than you have of beating the Friars at Ed Cooley’s Ball So Hard University. cWo 4-Life! 8)[/quote]

Now this is quality material from an opposing fan. StillJonesing take notes.

[quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:48, topic:27616”][quote=“Dowless, post:47, topic:27616”]Our problems have come when we faced shooters and Providence is one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Yes, even worse than us. They appear to be a good rebounding team though.

I would rather eat raw sushi off of Seth Greenberg’s bald head than listen to the garbage spewing out of your mouth. Not only will Bryce “ICE” Cotton make it rain and LaDontae “Bucktets” Henton will have an easy double-double; Kadeem “Battsman” Batts is going to eat you alive around the basket. You have a better chance of seeing Coach Mid-Major appearing on the cover of GQ than you have of beating the Friars at Ed Cooley’s Ball So Hard University. cWo 4-Life! 8)[/quote]

You make me laugh almost as hard as when I saw the score of your last game. After throwing up 44 against Cinci and now talking that garbage. The hulk and you are jokes.

And you guys only have an RPI of 89 with 3 losses to RPI 150+ teams. A non-conf schedule of 265 also. We should be seeded higher than these jokers.

[quote=“Dowless, post:50, topic:27616”]You make me laugh almost as hard as when I saw the score of your last game. After throwing up 44 against Cinci and now talking that garbage. The hulk and you are jokes.

Let me drop some knowledge on you brotha, the Friars don’t lose at home. It is not like we have Coach Mid-Major’s barber running the team. The Friars have Ed Cooley, the man, the myth, and the soon to be NCAA legend. Unfortunately, we were trying to get pushed at the foul line so we could have the ref hand us 17 points in the last 4 seconds, but we didn’t. You talking about us “throwing up 44 against Cinci” well I hope I don’t throw up 44 times after looking at your cheerleaders. You want to step into the cage with the Friar Fanatics, the Cooley Crazeys, and every single member of the Cooley World Order? You’ll come out looking worse than your stunt tossing transexuals. cWo 4-Life! 8)

Wait you actually watch wrestling wow…

[quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:52, topic:27616”][quote=“Dowless, post:50, topic:27616”]You make me laugh almost as hard as when I saw the score of your last game. After throwing up 44 against Cinci and now talking that garbage. The hulk and you are jokes.

Let me drop some knowledge on you brotha, the Friars don’t lose at home. It is not like we have Coach Mid-Major’s barber running the team. The Friars have Ed Cooley, the man, the myth, and the soon to be NCAA legend. Unfortunately, we were trying to get pushed at the foul line so we could have the ref hand us 17 points in the last 4 seconds, but we didn’t. You talking about us “throwing up 44 against Cinci” well I hope I don’t throw up 44 times after looking at your cheerleaders. You want to step into the cage with the Friar Fanatics, the Cooley Crazeys, and every single member of the Cooley World Order? You’ll come out looking worse than your stunt tossing transexuals. cWo 4-Life! 8)[/quote]

Clearly this man is not familiar with the Gold Dusters.

[quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:52, topic:27616”][quote=“Dowless, post:50, topic:27616”]You make me laugh almost as hard as when I saw the score of your last game. After throwing up 44 against Cinci and now talking that garbage. The hulk and you are jokes.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330722507[/quote]

Let me drop some knowledge on you brotha, the Friars don’t lose at home. It is not like we have Coach Mid-Major’s barber running the team. The Friars have Ed Cooley, the man, the myth, and the soon to be NCAA legend. Unfortunately, we were trying to get pushed at the foul line so we could have the ref hand us 17 points in the last 4 seconds, but we didn’t. You talking about us “throwing up 44 against Cinci” well I hope I don’t throw up 44 times after looking at your cheerleaders. You want to step into the cage with the Friar Fanatics, the Cooley Crazeys, and every single member of the Cooley World Order? You’ll come out looking worse than your stunt tossing transexuals. cWo 4-Life! 8)[/quote]

Someone translate this into a language for me, please.

[quote=“NLP49, post:55, topic:27616”][quote=“HoganKnowsBest, post:52, topic:27616”][quote=“Dowless, post:50, topic:27616”]You make me laugh almost as hard as when I saw the score of your last game. After throwing up 44 against Cinci and now talking that garbage. The hulk and you are jokes.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330722507[/quote]

Someone translate this into a language for me, please.[/quote]This looks like some trash talked I’d see from HOFSCK.

I saw this and realized he has us confused with the school in chapel hill.

Gold Dusters?!?!? You can have your “Gold Dusters” because we have Lee “Goldust” Goldsbrough. cWo 4-Life! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/f07f8_KfMCI

I saw this and realized he has us confused with the school in chapel hill.[/quote]

#namechangenow

I think it is a fairly even match-up. I would give the edge to whomever would be the home team, so in this case Providence. They are also a bit more experienced than we are.

The biggest factor in Round 1 NIT games is motivation. More often than not its a game where one team wants to be there and the other doesn’t. I hope we are embracing the opportunity to play a solid Big East team in the post season.

If we can take care of the ball and shoot 70% from the FT line, we can win this game.