NNR - Can someone explain the state football

Why do you all crown 8 champions?? I see 1a, 1aa, 2a, 2aa, etc. What is it?

Its kind of like division I,II,III in college. 4a is the highest and consists of the largest schools.

so basically there are 8 classifications and 8 state champions in football??

Most states crown multiple champions in each sport. Each classification is based on the number of students who go to the school.

There are also private school state champions vs. public school state champions.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 02:47 PM [b] so basically there are 8 classifications and 8 state champions in football?? [/b]
Yes... it is very stupid. Basically they feel that there is to big of a enrollment spread in the schools within their own divisions so the bigger schools in 1A play for one title and the smaller schools in 1A play for a seperate title and so on through the divisions. Thus you end up with 8 State Champs, it if great for the trophy industry...
[i]Originally posted by Brick Tamland, Weather[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 01:52 PM [b] Most states crown multiple champions in each sport. Each classification is based on the number of students who go to the school.

There are also private school state champions vs. public school state champions. [/b]

Oh, I know, Tennesse crowns 5 of them. I had just never seen it set up this way.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid+Oct 27 2005, 02:55 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (fsquid @ Oct 27 2005, 02:55 PM)

The state catered to coaches who thought they had a better shot at a title if there were twice as many titles. There are 4 classes which equals 4 titles, but at playoff time, each class has 2 champions to equal 8 champions. I think it’s BS, & it just started a couple of years ago. How can you have a 4A & a 4AA champ? You can’t have 2 teams that are the best at the 4 A level? Why don’t we have 2 MLB champs, 2 NFL, 2 NBA, & 2 NHL champs? What if D1 Basketball had 2 March Madnesses to crown 2 champs? Who would be the real champ? They don’t do it for other HS sports.

The reason they do it is for the state to get more money. There are teams in 1a that make the playoffs without even winning a game. I believe that every team in 1a in the entire state makes the playoffs except 2. It is a money thing and I wouldn’t be surprised if they started doing it for basketball and baseball in the near future.

But it cheapens a championship. Too many champs means no ones the champ.
Why not split into 16 division? Or 32?

They started it at least 3 years ago (I remember because my school Ral. Leesville Rd. needed 2 conf. wins to make the 4-AA{the biggest div.} playoffs and we only got 1 in 02-03). Anyway, I think its dumb because one of our other conf. teams in the cap 6 conf. Ral. Wakefield plays in 4A.

Two teams in the same conf. playing for a different state championship. That’s like George Wash. and Charlotte winning the national championship in the same year.

I guess they figured that major college football tossed real competitive glory for money so the NCHSAA figured they would do the same.

They claim it is so twice as many kids get to play which is a good thing IMO, but it is probably to raise money which the NCHSAA probably could use.

I think they could reach the same goal with kids participation by just keeping four div. and extending the season one weekend. Oh boo hoo for the finalist teams that have to play the one extra week :lol: .

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 01:32 PM [b] Why do you all crown 8 champions?? I see 1a, 1aa, 2a, 2aa, etc. What is it? [/b]
It's BS as others have said, but at the heart of it all is money. The NCHSAA gets $1 of every playoff ticket sold. Voila!!! Double the playoffs for football equals double the money. The NCHSAA gives the politically correct BS answers of "it's because of the wide range of enrollments" and "it gives more kids the opportunity to play in the playoffs". Well, hello. That's why we have the 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A classifications to account for those disparities in the enrollment. We don't need 4 more for the postseason only. And, [i]of course [/i]it gives more kids the opportunity to participate in the playoffs. You are supposed to earn your way into the playoffs, not be given a free pass. I can hear the mother's say "Little Johnnie's team made the playoffs this year. They were 4-7, but they made the playoffs".

This whole thing was conjured up by some coach who was in a tough conference who knew he was never going to get into the playoffs the hard way. Thus, he starts lobbying for the easy road and gets a bunch more of his fellow under-achieving coaches to go along with it. It started from the little 1-A schools complaining that the larger 1-A schools had double the amount of students. Then, after the first year of dividing the 1-A classification, the State figured out that this was a big money-maker. The coaches like this too, because they help their job security if they’re the least bit “successful”. Joe Coach gets in the playoffs, and can now say that “I made the playoffs” when he applies for other jobs and lobbies to keep his current one. Making the playoffs is no longer special anymore. If you don’t get in, you suck.

I agree that its stupid that two teams in the same conference compete for two different state titles. Each team is hurting each other’s seed in the two different brackets by playing in the same conference. The state could use the money which is why they are doing this. Another problem with this is that the smaller schools that don’t have many wins usually end up traveling for 2 hours to go play a #1 seed and get killed. Plus that team isn’t taking that much of a share from the gate money. I would like to see a no classification system state championship because there are teams that only have 300 people at their school that could beat teams that have 2,000. Thats just my opinion.

[i]Originally posted by Ninertread[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 04:14 PM [b] The reason they do it is for the state to get more money. There are teams in 1a that make the playoffs without even winning a game. I believe that every team in 1a in the entire state makes the playoffs except 2. It is a money thing and I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing it for basketball and baseball in the near future. [/b]
all but 2??

nevermind, I just looked it up. There are teams in there with 1-9 records!!

[i]Originally posted by Ninertread[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 04:44 PM [b] I would like to see a no classification system state championship because there are teams that only have 300 people at their school that could beat teams that have 2,000. Thats just my opinion. [/b]
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I sure hope that doesn’t happen, at least not for team sports. A school with 2700+ students has no business being in the same playoff as a school with less than 200. There may be that 1% chance that the small school would beat the big school, but it’s very rare and especially in football. Indiana tried to keep this philosophy in place for their high school basketball tournament up until a few years ago. A small school had not won since 1954 (the inspiration for Hoosiers), so they finally gave way and installed classifications.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Oct 27 2005, 05:01 PM [b] nevermind, I just looked it up. There are teams in there with 1-9 records!! [/b]
There won't be anymore. You have to have 4 wins to qualify. This is BS also. A team with a cupcake non-conference schedule could feasibly finish behind a fellow conference member with a tougher non-conference schedule, yet make the playoffs over them.

Example
Conf Overall
West High 3-3 3-7
East High 2-4 6-4

This expanded playoff stuff started my loathing of the NCHSAA, and now they’ve allowed all of the private schools to participate with the public schools beginning this year. Somebody needs to kick some @$$e$ down there, because they’re being bought.

Its all about money. Before, when we crowned 4 state champs, about 33% of teams in the state made the playoffs. Now, with 8 champs, 66% make the playoffs.

The translation is money, now most of the schools in the state get at least 1 extra game at the slightly higher gate price for the playoffs. Its kind of the same reason college went to 12 games, just more complicated and stupid.

Most of the schools in the state fall into the traditional 2a-3a size span (600-1000 students). So schools at 4a could range from 1000-2500 students and vice verse for 1a. So thats the justifcation.

Adding 5a and 6a would have been better and less confusing, but since when has NC done anything that makes sense? A better solution would have been to set up an entire state wide every-team-in playoff. The regular season would be just for seeding purposes. Then every team in the state could get the 1 extra game and additional money.

There are about 260 high schools in NC, so with 8 state champs, that means the state champ is #1 out of only 30 something odd schools per classification. That seems cheap and lessens the achievement in my opinion.

At least they’ve now passed a rule that you have to have at least four wins to qualify for the playoffs… the school I teach at is 1-8, so they’re ineligible.

in the southwestern 4A conference in charlotte you have to have 4 wins in the conference to go to play offs. For those who are unaware of which teams are in that conference you have: Butler, Independence, Providence (who lost to Independence 45-42), Myers Park and East Meck. All five of these teams should be given a play off shot beceause of their talent alone. But it is impossible for all 5 teams to reach 4 wins in conference play. So it makes it more difficult for schools like Myers Park to get in the football playoffs.