No Big Name/Money Games in 13/14

Who made this decision? Rose? DuBois?
I can’t believe it’s 3 years before kickoff, & we’re already running the damn team into the ground.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:21, topic:24099”]Who made this decision? Rose? DuBois?
I can’t believe it’s 3 years before kickoff, & we’re already running the damn team into the ground.[/quote]

Wow! A thread can go downhill quick. Guess the program should be disbanded for choosing not to get routed in te first two years. The FCS schools on the schedule will already be challenge enough. Most will have decades of head start. There needs to be some expectation of success and is there a coach in America you can hire having scheduled him 5-6 losses, including 2 woodshed beatings?

[quote=“NinerJags, post:22, topic:24099”][quote=“stonecoldken, post:21, topic:24099”]Who made this decision? Rose? DuBois?
I can’t believe it’s 3 years before kickoff, & we’re already running the damn team into the ground.[/quote]

Wow! A thread can go downhill quick. Guess the program should be disbanded for choosing not to get routed in te first two years. The FCS schools on the schedule will already be challenge enough. Most will have decades of head start. There needs to be some expectation of success and is there a coach in America you can hire having scheduled him 5-6 losses, including 2 woodshed beatings?[/quote]

If going to the woodshead puts lights on the stadium, I’ll take it.

I am curious what USF did the first 2 seasons, whatever they did worked. I find it troubling we would critique anything publicly that GSU is doing. They are light years ahead of us in foresight and guts.

South Florida played San Diego State in thier 3rd season. They played Kentucky, Baylor, and Southern Miss in their 4th season. They didn’t play a powerhouse D1 team until their 5th season, which was also their 1st season in D1. I hope we follow that model. It’s a very common sense approach.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=1425766&SPID=2981&SPSID=37332

If we don’t need the cash then I am 100% OK with this. Personally I would rather wait and be close competitive with the big boys before we go play them. I don’t want to see us get smashed. I was willing to if we needed the money and it would be a fun road trip, but it makes since to hold off if our funding allows it. Rack up some decent records, get alumni, student and community support up. Pad the record for the FBS jump and play the FBS schools when we are physically ready.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:18, topic:24099”]To all of you who say our donors are cheap… Well apparently the school doesn’t want $.
WTF? We NEED the $. 1 or 2 games a year won’t kill us.[/quote]so missing out on a 500k donation won’t hurt either…

I’ll be fine with that once we at least have some upperclassmen.[/quote]

Not me… I’d RATHER play them in year 1 or 2 when everyone expects you to get killed. It will look MUCH WORSE if we take an a$$ kickin’ in year 3 or 4 because by that time the casual fan will think we should be “competing”, so losing 50-0 in year 3 will hurt our image MUCH worse than 65-0 in year 1, IMO.

While I was looking forward to a trip to Knoxville, I can understand why they didn’t schedule a game like that in the first two seasons.

That said, no one has stated whether or not we’ve signed a deal for after 2014 have they?

TN doesn’t usually play FCS teams anyway. Not sure why’d they make an exception for us.

Not me… I’d RATHER play them in year 1 or 2 when everyone expects you to get killed. It will look MUCH WORSE if we take an a$$ kickin’ in year 3 or 4 because by that time the casual fan will think we should be “competing”, so losing 50-0 in year 3 will hurt our image MUCH worse than 65-0 in year 1, IMO.[/quote]

Well, you’re completely impersonalizing the reality that the majority of our players in year one will have never played a college game prior to that season. You’re only concerned about the money we get and the score, but it’s a BAD idea to send a group of newbies in to play against a powerhouse D1 team. You’re asking for lots of injuries. It may make good business sense, but it doesn’t use a lot of football common sense.

Sorry, but you guys assuming this means we don’t need the $$$ can’t be serious. OF COURSE, we need the money…this appears to be more about our admins. having too much pride to take an a$$ kickin’ in the first few years in order to help the program long term. Seriously, we don’t have $500,000 for lights but suddenly because of this decision everyone thinks we’re swimming is money…pleez. This will go down as our WORST football decision for years.

As for USF’s early schedule, remember they didn’t have near the expenses that we will have (no stadium construction to pay for).

As for USF’s early schedule, remember they didn’t have near the expenses that we will have (no stadium construction to pay for).

That’s quite a bold prediction. As someone stated earlier, we’re following USF’s model. They’re doing just fine after they made the same terrible decision. They may not have the stadium expenses, but they also couldn’t afford a band right away either. We’re probably about the same financially, we’re just putting a bigger burden on the student body to pay for it

Not me… I’d RATHER play them in year 1 or 2 when everyone expects you to get killed. It will look MUCH WORSE if we take an a$$ kickin’ in year 3 or 4 because by that time the casual fan will think we should be “competing”, so losing 50-0 in year 3 will hurt our image MUCH worse than 65-0 in year 1, IMO.[/quote]

Well, you’re completely impersonalizing the reality that the majority of our players in year one will have never played a college game prior to that season. You’re only concerned about the money we get and the score, but it’s a BAD idea to send a group of newbies in to play against a powerhouse D1 team. You’re asking for lots of injuries. It may make good business sense, but it doesn’t use a lot of football common sense.[/quote]

The “injury” excuse is lame, IMO and we certainly need nothing more right now than $$$ and “attention” to excite a new fanbase. A big game will do that…having a record that is ONE GAME better (potentially) against all “no-names” and $400,000+ less cash will not.

Well, you’re completely impersonalizing the reality that the majority of our players in year one will have never played a college game prior to that season. You’re only concerned about the money we get and the score, but it’s a BAD idea to send a group of newbies in to play against a powerhouse D1 team. You’re asking for lots of injuries. It may make good business sense, but it doesn’t use a lot of football common sense.[/quote]

The “injury” excuse is lame, IMO and we certainly need nothing more right now than $$$ and “attention” to excite a new fanbase. A big game will do that…having a record that is ONE GAME better (potentially) against all “no-names” and $400,000+ less cash will not.[/quote]

Lame or not, it’s real. And you also need to keep in mind that legit D1 programs are not going to play a team that is full of players whose last game came in high school. They’re even smart enough to know that it would be little competition for them, and that it’s not worth it to them either.

The “injury” excuse is lame, IMO and we certainly need nothing more right now than $$$ and “attention” to excite a new fanbase. A big game will do that…having a record that is ONE GAME better (potentially) against all “no-names” and $400,000+ less cash will not.[/quote]

Lame or not, it’s real. And you also need to keep in mind that legit D1 programs are not going to play a team that is full of players whose last game came in high school. They’re even smart enough to know that it would be little competition for them, and that it’s not worth it to them either.[/quote]

??? …I’ll just agree to disagree STRONGLY on this topic…and I will remind people of this in a few years when everyone complains that no one is “paying us any attention” as a result of playing seasons full of Morehead States, but believe me I hope I am wrong on this.

Lame or not, it’s real. And you also need to keep in mind that legit D1 programs are not going to play a team that is full of players whose last game came in high school. They’re even smart enough to know that it would be little competition for them, and that it’s not worth it to them either.[/quote]

??? …I’ll just agree to disagree STRONGLY on this topic.[/quote]

Find an example of a powerhouse D1 program playing a startup D1 or I-AA program. I’m curious as to the last time it happened. I looked at the schedules of all of the I-AA and D1 programs started over the last decade and NONE of them played a D1 team in their first two seasons except Florida Atlantic, and they played new-to-D1 schools USF and UConn in their second season. The first one to do it will be Georgia State this season when they play Alabama. I guess we’ll see how that works out.

People aren’t going to pay attention to your program because you get your ass kicked by a powerhouse D1 team. They pay attention when you get in a big-time conference and play big-time games on a regular basis. Nobody cared about USF until they started making noise in the Big East a couple of years ago. The only time I noticed them in the first 8 years of their existance was if they happened upon someone’s schedule that was relevant. FAU and FIU schedule big time opponents every year, and it has done nothing for them since starting their programs. It’s nothing more than a money grab and a guaranteed ass-kicking in your first 2 years as a program.

??? …I’ll just agree to disagree STRONGLY on this topic.[/quote]

Find an example of a powerhouse D1 program playing a startup D1 or I-AA program. I’m curious as to the last time it happened. I looked at the schedules of all of the I-AA and D1 programs started over the last decade and NONE of them played a D1 team in their first two seasons except Florida Atlantic, and they played new-to-D1 schools USF and UConn in their second season. The first one to do it will be Georgia State this season when they play Alabama. I guess we’ll see how that works out.[/quote]

We already know how the GSU/Bama game will “work out”. Bama will beat their ass for 30 minutes and play their 3rd string in the 2nd half. GSU will head back up I85 North with a fatty check. Maybe, just maybe, no FBS school wants to play us and that’s why we won’t have one in 13/14? As for us following the USF model. USF moved up to FBS in 4 years. If we are NOT going to do that then we are NOT following the USF model. No, we’re following the UNC Charlotte model; God help us!

The BCS schools are scared to play us.

I was wondering about that also. As a first or second year program, we aren’t going to have a lot of DI teams beating down our door… there are plenty of other places they can look. If we aren’t playing any big games the first couple of years because they don’t want to play us, then I understand. If we aren’t playing any big teams because we don’t want to play them, then I think it is a poor decision. The only reason I can see to turn down a game like that would be that we are afraid of getting our pride hurt. We are probably going to get trounced by some bad teams the first couple of years, and I have no problem getting trounced by some good ones also if it comes with a nice paycheck.

Just because USF or other startup programs chose not to play big schools early on, doesn’t mean that is also the best option for us.