No Big Name/Money Games in 13/14

I was wondering about that also. As a first or second year program, we arenā€™t going to have a lot of DI teams beating down our doorā€¦ there are plenty of other places they can look. If we arenā€™t playing any big games the first couple of years because they donā€™t want to play us, then I understand. If we arenā€™t playing any big teams because we donā€™t want to play them, then I think it is a poor decision. The only reason I can see to turn down a game like that would be that we are afraid of getting our pride hurt. We are probably going to get trounced by some bad teams the first couple of years, and I have no problem getting trounced by some good ones also if it comes with a nice paycheck.

Just because USF or other startup programs chose not to play big schools early on, doesnā€™t mean that is also the best option for us.[/quote]

Thisā€¦

I understand the arguments on both sides but if it were up to me Iā€™d be willing to schedule FBS teams in 2014. If they played a decent team the television/marketing exposure alone would be big for the program.

Also, isnā€™t the team allowed to start practicing in 2012? So they would have some players who have had a full year of practice and other FBS and JUCO transfer players when they play their first game in 2013? Itā€™s fair to give the coaches and players time to figure things out but Iā€™m somewhat surprised they donā€™t have at least one FBS game in 2014.

Anyone who thinks that $400,000 wouldnā€™t make a huge impact on this program as it develops is crazy.

Iā€™ll be fine with that once we at least have some upperclassmen.[/quote]

Not meā€¦ Iā€™d RATHER play them in year 1 or 2 when everyone expects you to get killed. It will look MUCH WORSE if we take an a$$ kickinā€™ in year 3 or 4 because by that time the casual fan will think we should be ā€œcompetingā€, so losing 50-0 in year 3 will hurt our image MUCH worse than 65-0 in year 1, IMO.[/quote]

Well, youā€™re completely impersonalizing the reality that the majority of our players in year one will have never played a college game prior to that season. Youā€™re only concerned about the money we get and the score, but itā€™s a BAD idea to send a group of newbies in to play against a powerhouse D1 team. Youā€™re asking for lots of injuries. It may make good business sense, but it doesnā€™t use a lot of football common sense.[/quote]

The ā€œinjuryā€ excuse is lame, IMO and we certainly need nothing more right now than $$$ and ā€œattentionā€ to excite a new fanbase. A big game will do thatā€¦having a record that is ONE GAME better (potentially) against all ā€œno-namesā€ and $400,000+ less cash will not.[/quote]

Lame or not, itā€™s real. And you also need to keep in mind that legit D1 programs are not going to play a team that is full of players whose last game came in high school. Theyā€™re even smart enough to know that it would be little competition for them, and that itā€™s not worth it to them either.[/quote]

??? ā€¦Iā€™ll just agree to disagree STRONGLY on this topic.[/quote]

Find an example of a powerhouse D1 program playing a startup D1 or I-AA program. Iā€™m curious as to the last time it happened. I looked at the schedules of all of the I-AA and D1 programs started over the last decade and NONE of them played a D1 team in their first two seasons except Florida Atlantic, and they played new-to-D1 schools USF and UConn in their second season. The first one to do it will be Georgia State this season when they play Alabama. I guess weā€™ll see how that works out.

People arenā€™t going to pay attention to your program because you get your ass kicked by a powerhouse D1 team. They pay attention when you get in a big-time conference and play big-time games on a regular basis. Nobody cared about USF until they started making noise in the Big East a couple of years ago. The only time I noticed them in the first 8 years of their existance was if they happened upon someoneā€™s schedule that was relevant. FAU and FIU schedule big time opponents every year, and it has done nothing for them since starting their programs. Itā€™s nothing more than a money grab and a guaranteed ass-kicking in your first 2 years as a program.[/quote]

OK, Iā€™ll take another shot at this. YOu just made my point for me above with this statement ā€œThe only time I noticed them in the first 8 years of their existance was if they happened upon someoneā€™s schedule that was relevant.ā€ Also, if you truly donā€™t think that the "build-up to a game against a Tennesse, South Carolina or Georgia (or anyone of this caliber) will get the attention of people in the area (which is exactly what this team/school needs) more than playing another no-name then I canā€™t help you. Remember, weā€™re only talking about 1 game on an 11-game schedule. Record wise, it may make us 4-7 instead of 5-6 (with a lot more $$$ in the bank). Iā€™ll take 4-7 +$$$ over 5-6 and $400,000 less in the bank all day long in the first couple years.

One more note on USF, just because you didnā€™t pay attention to them doesnā€™t mean ā€œnobodyā€ cared about them. I assure you they did. Also, I hope you have loftier goals for our program than being like FIU and FAUā€¦ :frowning:

??? ā€¦Iā€™ll just agree to disagree STRONGLY on this topic.[/quote]

Find an example of a powerhouse D1 program playing a startup D1 or I-AA program. Iā€™m curious as to the last time it happened. I looked at the schedules of all of the I-AA and D1 programs started over the last decade and NONE of them played a D1 team in their first two seasons except Florida Atlantic, and they played new-to-D1 schools USF and UConn in their second season. The first one to do it will be Georgia State this season when they play Alabama. I guess weā€™ll see how that works out.

People arenā€™t going to pay attention to your program because you get your ass kicked by a powerhouse D1 team. They pay attention when you get in a big-time conference and play big-time games on a regular basis. Nobody cared about USF until they started making noise in the Big East a couple of years ago. The only time I noticed them in the first 8 years of their existance was if they happened upon someoneā€™s schedule that was relevant. FAU and FIU schedule big time opponents every year, and it has done nothing for them since starting their programs. Itā€™s nothing more than a money grab and a guaranteed ass-kicking in your first 2 years as a program.[/quote]

OK, Iā€™ll take another shot at this. YOu just made my point for me above with this statement ā€œThe only time I noticed them in the first 8 years of their existance was if they happened upon someoneā€™s schedule that was relevant.ā€ Also, if you truly donā€™t think that the "build-up to a game against a Tennesse, South Carolina or Georgia (or anyone of this caliber) will get the attention of people in the area (which is exactly what this team/school needs) more than playing another no-name then I canā€™t help you. Remember, weā€™re only talking about 1 game on an 11-game schedule. Record wise, it may make us 4-7 instead of 5-6 (with a lot more $$$ in the bank). Iā€™ll take 4-7 +$$$ over 5-6 and $400,000 less in the bank all day long in the first couple years.

One more note on USF, just because you didnā€™t pay attention to them doesnā€™t mean ā€œnobodyā€ cared about them. I assure you they did. Also, I hope you have loftier goals for our program than being like FIU and FAUā€¦ :([/quote]

No, I didnā€™t make your point. Your point was that playing big time teams garnered USF gobs of attention. They played big time teams in years 5-8 of their football existence after moving to D1 and they still werenā€™t noticed on the national scene. Iā€™m sure THEIR fans cared about them, but they got no media attention outside of Florida until they started out undefeated in 2007 (year 11 of their football program) and knocked off Auburn, UNC-CH, and West Virginia along the way. Thatā€™s what put them on the map. Nobody outside of their supporters remembers the 41-12 drubbing they took against San Diego State in Year 3 of their program, or any of the other losses that they werenā€™t competitive in. I guarantee that most college football fans remember seeing or reading something about their win at Auburn, though. Once you start playing tough against or beating top knotch programs, then people will take notice. Going up against those teams may create local buzz, but then you just get laughed at after getting your teeth kicked in from playing those teams solely for monetary reasons. If weā€™re going to play them, letā€™s at least wait until weā€™re squashing bad FCS teams.

I sure as hell hope we arenā€™t going to become the next FIU or FAU, because all of this effort and expense is just a waste of time if thatā€™s the road we wind up going down. Itā€™s also the reason I donā€™t advocate joining the Sun Belt.

No, that was NOT my point AT ALL. Please show me where I said thatā€¦You obviously missed my ENTIRE POINT. Iā€™m not talking about getting noticed on the ā€œnational sceneā€. We need to be noticed FIRST on the local/regional scene and playing bigger name teams will do much more to spur local curiousity (if nothing else) than playing/beating the Morehead States of the world. Why wait until year 3 or 4 when people will have much LESS patience with you (ie; the newness will have worn off) and you more than likely will still get killed. THATS when people will laugh at you , not in year 1 or 2. Iā€™m astounded that you canā€™t understand that.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:45, topic:24099ā€]
No, that was NOT my point AT ALL. Please show me where I said thatā€¦You obviously missed my ENTIRE POINT. Iā€™m not talking about getting noticed on the ā€œnational sceneā€. We need to be noticed FIRST on the local/regional scene and playing bigger name teams will do much more to spur local curiousity (if nothing else) than playing/beating the Morehead States of the world. Why wait until year 3 or 4 when people will have much LESS patience with you (ie; the newness will have worn off) and you more than likely will still get killed. THATS when people will laugh at you , not in year 1 or 2. Iā€™m astounded that you canā€™t understand that.[/quote]

Who outside of alums and close supporters of the program are going to get excited about going to get our teeth kicked in at (insert BCS school)? Iā€™m not excited about that prospect, and Iā€™m a rabid follower. As I said in the post above, in may generate a buzz before the game, but it just generates laughter after it from those in the community not affiliated with the program. Now, once we have a legit FCS team, say in year 3 or 4, and we think we can at least give a team a run for their money, I have no problem going to play them. Other than simply getting money from doing it in seasons 1 and 2, it just doesnā€™t make sense to me to do it for any other reason.

Thisā€¦ Plus Judy Rose did mention that the majority of Div 1 schools already have games scheduled 4 and 5 years out, so maybe that played a part. Iā€™m sure by year 3, we will start to see the heavy hitters with the heavy pocket books on our schedule. I donā€™t think the excitement will be diminished by that time. Itā€™s no secret that we are starting from the ground up, and that we have future ambitions to ā€œplay football at the highest level.ā€ We will be fine without UT on our schedule in 2013.

[quote=ā€œX-49er, post:46, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:45, topic:24099ā€]
No, that was NOT my point AT ALL. Please show me where I said thatā€¦You obviously missed my ENTIRE POINT. Iā€™m not talking about getting noticed on the ā€œnational sceneā€. We need to be noticed FIRST on the local/regional scene and playing bigger name teams will do much more to spur local curiousity (if nothing else) than playing/beating the Morehead States of the world. Why wait until year 3 or 4 when people will have much LESS patience with you (ie; the newness will have worn off) and you more than likely will still get killed. THATS when people will laugh at you , not in year 1 or 2. Iā€™m astounded that you canā€™t understand that.[/quote]

Who outside of alums and close supporters of the program are going to get excited about going to get our teeth kicked in at (insert BCS school)? Iā€™m not excited about that prospect, and Iā€™m a rabid follower. As I said in the post above, in may generate a buzz before the game, but it just generates laughter after it from those in the community not affiliated with the program. Now, once we have a legit FCS team, say in year 3 or 4, and we think we can at least give a team a run for their money, I have no problem going to play them. Other than simply getting money from doing it in seasons 1 and 2, it just doesnā€™t make sense to me to do it for any other reason.[/quote]

Lots of people will be impressed that we are taking the field against them and it will register that weā€™re actually a D1 program. Something alot of idiots in this region apparently donā€™t know and I repeat for about the 4th time, no one (atleast not the majority) will laugh at a 1st year team getting blown out. 99% of people would expect that, however they will laugh BIG TIME if we get blown out in year 4 and the odds of it happening are pretty similar for either year if weā€™re actually talking about a top 15 caliber opponent. Youā€™re banking on us giving them a ā€œrunā€ with a 3-4 year old teamā€¦not likely to happen and the grace period (honeymoon) will be over.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:48, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œX-49er, post:46, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:45, topic:24099ā€]

Who outside of alums and close supporters of the program are going to get excited about going to get our teeth kicked in at (insert BCS school)? Iā€™m not excited about that prospect, and Iā€™m a rabid follower. As I said in the post above, in may generate a buzz before the game, but it just generates laughter after it from those in the community not affiliated with the program. Now, once we have a legit FCS team, say in year 3 or 4, and we think we can at least give a team a run for their money, I have no problem going to play them. Other than simply getting money from doing it in seasons 1 and 2, it just doesnā€™t make sense to me to do it for any other reason.[/quote]

Lots of people will be impressed that we are taking the field against them and it will register that weā€™re actually a D1 program. Something alot of idiots in this region apparently donā€™t know and I repeat for about the 4th time, no one (atleast not the majority) will laugh at a 1st year team getting blown out. 99% of people would expect that, however they will laugh BIG TIME if we get blown out in year 4 and the odds of it happening are pretty similar for either year if weā€™re actually talking about a top 15 caliber opponent. Youā€™re banking on us giving them a ā€œrunā€ with a 3-4 year old teamā€¦not likely to happen and the grace period (honeymoon) will be over.[/quote]

Those same idiots that donā€™t know that weā€™re D1 also wonā€™t know that we are a startup program who would get killed. When they see the score on ā€œthe bottom lineā€ or in the Disturber, they will laughingly think ā€œman, they got their ass kicked. They must really suckā€.

[quote=ā€œX-49er, post:49, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:48, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œX-49er, post:46, topic:24099ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:45, topic:24099ā€]

Lots of people will be impressed that we are taking the field against them and it will register that weā€™re actually a D1 program. Something alot of idiots in this region apparently donā€™t know and I repeat for about the 4th time, no one (atleast not the majority) will laugh at a 1st year team getting blown out. 99% of people would expect that, however they will laugh BIG TIME if we get blown out in year 4 and the odds of it happening are pretty similar for either year if weā€™re actually talking about a top 15 caliber opponent. Youā€™re banking on us giving them a ā€œrunā€ with a 3-4 year old teamā€¦not likely to happen and the grace period (honeymoon) will be over.[/quote]

Those same idiots that donā€™t know that weā€™re D1 also wonā€™t know that we are a startup program who would get killed. When they see the score on ā€œthe bottom lineā€ or in the Disturber, they will laughingly think ā€œman, they got their ass kicked. They must really suckā€.[/quote]

I think you both have a good point, it really just depends on whoā€™s looking at the score, some people in this city want us to fail regardless and yes, some are too dumb to know we are div 1, (which is sometimes our own fault if you ask me) Bottom line is the AD is going to make the decision and we canā€™t do anything about it.