Normbulance Evolution

And a picture in the morning light! Again you can see the orange peel on the hood - but overall I am pleased. Once I get the the box done I will come back and do the hood again and then clear coat it all.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:61, topic:25644”]And a picture in the morning light! Again you can see the orange peel on the hood - but overall I am pleased. Once I get the the box done I will come back and do the hood again and then clear coat it all.

[/quote]

Looks great! Man, I love your passion. I can see myself doing something like this if I were younger. For now, I’ll just vicariously enjoy your effort. You should recruit more NINER fans into the NATION.

There are some pretty decent spray clear coats out there. It just requires a huge amount so you might want to buy in bulk. I did the bumper insert of my old truck with body specific can spray and clear coat. I loved the results. are you putting primer over the old paint before painting? You might like the color results better.

As far as logos, have you decided on whether you’re painting them or going the SkinIt/Fathead route?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:63, topic:25644”]There are some pretty decent spray clear coats out there. It just requires a huge amount so you might want to buy in bulk. I did the bumper insert of my old truck with body specific can spray and clear coat. I loved the results. are you putting primer over the old paint before painting? You might like the color results better.

As far as logos, have you decided on whether you’re painting them or going the SkinIt/Fathead route?[/quote]

I haven’t put on primer because the rustoleum I sued was the primer/paint all in one combo. Not sure if it is working like it is supposed to. I think wet sanding it will take care of the orange peel though.

As for the graphics - I am still trying to decide. That will also factor in to how much time i spend on the paint. If I have giant logos on it then I won’t worry about getting the paint perfect.

The other challenge is we are not listed on Fathead - so to use our logos I have to get written permission to get the Fathead people to create the piece. Why does it have to be soooo hard to do something cool with this school.

I’m not surprised the Rustoleum is orange peeling. If wetsanding doesn’t help you might want to treat it as just primer and apply a few coats of regular automotive spray paint to it afterwards. There are a few companies out there that can color match spray can auto paint. Think the last time I bought some it was about $9 for a full-sized can. Also, if you plan to paint any plastic or vinly parts make sure you use paint adhesive first. Learned that lesson the expensive way.

The Rustoleum Professional had the best review/results of any spray can I found online - just have to wet sand to get the glass finish. $10 a can is a little steep - there is a reason autmotive paint is ussually 3 - 10 times more expensive than just regular paint. I have a few ideas though. The roller method had the best results hands down. I just can’t seem to replicate that, but I might have a few ideas on that too. The biggest thing is in the end I just need it to look decent. Not planning on winning any car shows with it.

Roller method is what a lot of the rat rod guys do. Looks shiny but a bit old timey. I love that look, would look great. I imagine the issue you could have is the base you’re working with.

If you’re going to rattle can, use a flat color. It’s much easier to get a consistent finish and is easier to touch up. It’s probably the most cost effective way of reducing the uneven paint.

I am down to help anytime NWA, just give me a time.

[quote=“Gill, post:67, topic:25644”]Roller method is what a lot of the rat rod guys do. Looks shiny but a bit old timey. I love that look, would look great. I imagine the issue you could have is the base you’re working with.

If you’re going to rattle can, use a flat color. It’s much easier to get a consistent finish and is easier to touch up. It’s probably the most cost effective way of reducing the uneven paint.

I am down to help anytime NWA, just give me a time.[/quote]

I cut regular enamel paint at 50/50 mineral spirits just as every site I found said to do. The word was it would make the paint self level and remove any bubbles or strokes from the roller. It did not work that way as it retained streaks on my test piece. I was afraid to cut it more because it was already very thin and any thinner would have caused it to run on vertical surfaces.

I thought about flat colors because I have used that on my motorcycles and flat black would have been fine, but the flat green did not look too hot. I am still pretty confident that a wet sand and soem more spray on the hood would take care of the texture. The sides aren’t bad at all.

Might hollar at you next weekend!

Not might… you WILL… DOOOOOOO IIIIITTTTTTTT!!!

I like the solar panel idea too. I’ve played around with a couple of cheap panels I bought a few years ago. Doesn’t give you much juice but you can switch to just solar power and run a few auxiliary items. I used a capacitor to get by the issue of random cloud cover.

[quote=“Gill, post:69, topic:25644”]I like the solar panel idea too. I’ve played around with a couple of cheap panels I bought a few years ago. Doesn’t give you much juice but you can switch to just solar power and run a few auxiliary items. I used a capacitor to get by the issue of random cloud cover.[/quote]A EE in the power industry may be of help here… ;D

Solar seems like a cool idea - but realistically would it produce enough current to power anything of note?

Plus I am putting a deck on the top so that might make panels a moot point.

Solar seems like a cool idea - but realistically would it produce enough current to power anything of note?

Plus I am putting a deck on the top so that might make panels a moot point.[/quote]

Well you took my idea there with the deck. This thing is going to be sick. You are going to need to pass out VIP passes or something.

About the solar panels…at the very least you might want to consider one of the tiny ones I linked to earlier as a battery-saving method for the weeks/months between games. Think about how much use that thing is going to get in the offseason (not much!).

The deck is def on the list of to do, but down the list some behind tv, grill, etc. Hopefully I can get it on before 2013. I have a few different ideas on how to construct the railings so that they collapse when not in use.

Solar panels can be tiny, or up to 235 watts (larger for a commercial panel, but those things are like 6’x 4’). It could theoretically power most televisions or stereo equipment, but electronics needs a consistent flow of power or they can be damaged, which means you’ll need a battery to store energy and make up the difference if a cloud passes, or if you’re parked in the shade. That’s a lot of hassle and expense in my opinion.

You could build an awning type structure on top of the deck with solar panels to provide shade. Would be cool, but again, a lot of expense and effort for something you’ll only be using a few times per year.

I think this is the only time a sun setter would be awesome.

No doubt once we learn more about tailgate location options this could go up on the to do list.

The deck is def on the list of to do, but down the list some behind tv, grill, etc. Hopefully I can get it on before 2013. I have a few different ideas on how to construct the railings so that they collapse when not in use.[/quote]

Custom fabrication??!?!?!?

:excited:

Here is the latest. I painted the section above the cab. Looks WAY better IMO. I stopped at the bookstore and picked up some magnets and stickers and license plate. I am waiting on some of the graphics, but had to at least get some Charlotte stuff on it. Should be getting stuff in the mail the next few days that should aid in the Niner transformation. I am going to try and get the rest of the ambulance box painted this weekend.

NWA, I think you have finally motivated me to officially create an NNN HOF board. This thread deserves it.

Glad I could help!

Hopefully the pictures that I will have after this weekend will be worthy of the NNN HOF!