North Texas Bonus Play Home Game 3-4-20 7:00 Tip

We played very tough D against a top 20 3 pt shooting team. We held them to just above half the 3 pt % they normally shoot, and to just above half of the total points they normally score. We forced them to throw 4 cross court passes over their teammate’s head and out of bounds. Plus, tonight we showed up offensively, even grabbing 4 offensive rebounds! Most of all, our team wanted this. You play for the bye when you think you can make a run in the tournament, and tonight we did that.

1 Like

Love being wrong when it involves winning. Great game. Clinched 4th and a BYE. Sweet.

1 Like

Just like the WKU game I didn’t think we stood much of a chance of winning this one but I am once again thrilled to be wrong. Really felt like we overachieved and did not belong in the top pod in bonus play but we will finish no worse than 2 & 2 so I am happy with that. Really proud of this team & the progress they have made. The inconsistency is frustrating at times but we are light years ahead of where we were the last 2 seasons. Would be nice to go down to LT with an attitude & finish up the regular season strong. Hopefully the guys can get motivated for that game. Doesn’t mean anything as far as the standings are concerned but would be great to carry some momentum into the tournament.

Spring break has been the first week for years my guy…

I know every team has letdown games, but I hope Sanchez is still learning how to prevent games like the one against FIU. It’s easy to get up for a game against the best conference team on your home floor, but next season I hope we see less of a swing in intensity game to game.

Wow what a great defensive performance! Crazy to think if we win Saturday we will have wins over the top 3 teams in CUSA headed into the conference tournament.

1 Like

In 50 years of basketball I have never witnessed a better defensive performance than last night . We weren’t playing Duke But North Texas was a top conference USA team. The double teams and close out to shooters were executed almost to perfection. I recall very few uncontested shots . Defense is nothing more than execution and intensity which is much more reliable then offense. When shots are not falling most teams Lose that mental edge on defense which is a certain recipe for defeat . As Sanchez suggest it’s a learning process that I think our guys are beginning to understand . If the other team can’t score our offense doesn’t have to be that good .

1 Like

it also needs to be said, north texas is a really talented, complete, well coached team. if they make the tournament, they could win a game or two. what we did against them last night was impressive.

something else i wanted to add and a good sign for next season. edwards and bamba only had a combined 5 points last night.

I think Williams will be most improved new year with a year on the system. I think Young had the advantage playing at Dematha with competition better than against public schools.

1 Like