North Texas just lost to...

[QUOTE=survivor45;199478]Last year, we recovered well. Most years, we seem to have a disappointing start. I hope the ā€˜North Texas gameā€™ is like last yearā€™s ā€˜Wyoming gameā€™ and we get back on track.

Iā€™m still feeling about as even-keeled as I did before the season started. I figured this year would start off rawer than most years due to the amount of freshman coming in, the brand-new point guard, etc. Iā€™d just be less disappointed if we lost to North Texas because of mental lapses by newcomers off the bench and not because of poor defense by our starters.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t feel like we recovered well last year.

Maybe compared to how bad we were going to be, but we never put a great team on the floor last year.

I saw us look like absolute shit against Richmond, Wake Forest and only mediocre against a GW team that we should have beaten.

I went to lots of away games last year (because they were easier to get to than home games) and a couple of home games and we just looked like garbage at every turn. We were never a really good team last year, in any game that I saw. And we started out the year just like we finished, unimpressive.

[QUOTE=hootie;199389]I donā€™t know who K-Town is but the sad fact of the matter is that he is RIGHT.

We got punked AT HOME by a team that wonā€™t be .500% in a crappy league.

We may get better, I hope so, but right now weā€™re doing the same crap that has haunted us for the past few years. Jacking up bad 3ā€™s and not playing D.

We had a bad team with decent talent last year, we lost our last four two years ago (including to losing to a NCSU team in the tourney that we could and should have beaten.

Sorry if Iā€™m a bad fan, but the style weā€™re playing needs to change or itā€™s going to be another bad year.

Memo to the team and coaching staff- GUARD SOME FRIGGINā€™ BODY!!![/QUOTE]

Add me to sharing these sentiments and those of KTown. But, it is early. We can get betterā€¦canā€™t we?

Always hold on to hope.

more like the Northwestern game...

Nahā€¦more like Wyoming (we gave up 87 points in that game)

HP - youā€™re right the assists could have been higher, but Iā€™m nervous that the team is being preached to avoid the turnover again this year. Obviously turnovers are bad, but so is an offense that avoids risks and lacks any creativity. Eh, but then again, the offense is the least of my worries now.

Preaching cutting down on the TOs might be true. When they ran in the first half on Saturday, they played decently. Second half, they stood around, took some bad shots and Hofstra came back. Sunday they showed no creativity stood around and shot the long ball (which didnā€™t connect). Back to back or not, these guys are going to have to push it up and down the court to be successful. Halfcourt isnā€™t going to work IMO.

[QUOTE=survivor45;199486]Nahā€¦more like Wyoming (we gave up 87 points in that game)

HP - youā€™re right the assists could have been higher, but Iā€™m nervous that the team is being preached to avoid the turnover again this year. Obviously turnovers are bad, but so is an offense that avoids risks and lacks any creativity. Eh, but then again, the offense is the least of my worries now.[/QUOTE]

Didnt we follow up that tourny with one of the most terrible games a Niner team has ever played? There is no way this team is as bad right now as last years team was at the same point.

The Miss St game was some of the worst couple of hours in my life.

Didnt we follow up that tourny with one of the most terrible games a Niner team has ever played? There is no way this team is as bad right now as last years team was at the same point.

The Miss St game was some of the worst couple of hours in my life.

Brace yourself for Syracuse. (I hope Iā€™m wrong, though)

[QUOTE=Powerbait;199475]All of those teams have a chance to recover in a bigger way than we do.

Not saying we wont recover, just saying it is more of a fight for our team.

And the last few years we havenā€™t recovered so well.[/QUOTE]

that is exactly right. there is no room for error.

this is the point JCL has made over and over.

when you play in a crap conference, you canā€™t lose these ā€œcupcakeā€ games because you cannot recover from and RPI standpoint.

BC and Kansas will have plenty opportunity to get it back in real conferences.

[QUOTE=49erFan1;199379]I could deal with a loss, but we got throttled by that team.

And BTW Oral Roberts is actually a pretty darn good team. One of the best mid majors.[/QUOTE]

Oh Iā€™m aware of how good of a mid-major Oral Roberts is, but Iā€™m also aware of how much of a superpower Kansas is every yearā€¦ I didnā€™t discount them, I simply said thatā€™s why they play the game, and why people should stop crying about losing to N. Texasā€¦ read the post a little closer next time.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;199539]Oh Iā€™m aware of how good of a mid-major Oral Roberts is, but Iā€™m also aware of how much of a superpower Kansas is every yearā€¦ I didnā€™t discount them, I simply said thatā€™s why they play the game, and why people should stop crying about losing to N. Texasā€¦ read the post a little closer next time.[/QUOTE]
Tell 'em CSFN. :clap:

I hope the players donā€™t read this board. The way some of you describe this team it would lead a person to believe Charlotte was the worst team in division 1. With fans like that who needs detractors.

I am so tired of this!!! We need a change, fire Lutz and bring in Greg Marshall. Winthrop only shot 38 three pointers last night and they played lock down defense on UNC holding them to 52% shootingā€¦
Oh waitā€¦

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;199541]I hope the players donā€™t read this board. The way some of you describe this team it would lead a person to believe Charlotte was the worst team in division 1. With fans like that who needs detractors.[/QUOTE]
That is what iā€™ve been trying to say all along. Whether it be the team, the coach, or new fans. Itā€™s just plain horrible.Iā€™m not saying one way or the other about how this year will go, just that itā€™s only been two games! We won a good one and lost a bad one. One and one makes two! Two games!

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;199541]I hope the players donā€™t read this board. The way some of you describe this team it would lead a person to believe Charlotte was the worst team in division 1. With fans like that who needs detractors.[/QUOTE]
Dude, what would have us do?

We donā€™t need to be mindless and go around without the Emperor that he has no clothes. Speaking for myself, I fully support the program and hope we have a great year. But, weā€™re doing the same shit weā€™ve done the past couple of years and itā€™s just not successful.

I guess Iā€™m old school. If we play well and lock people up on D, Iā€™ll be the first to congratulate anybody. But if we play like crap, I think itā€™s fair to point that out as well. These guys arenā€™t middle-schoolers.

Excellent point. Itā€™s embarrassing, really. Imagine what outsiders and recruits think when they see this garbage after one loss. Our fan base looks like a bunch of fairweather fans. Whereā€™s the loyalty? We should be thinking, that was a dissapointing loss but letā€™s put our faith in the coaching staff to figure out what happened and win a bunch of games. I was about to say turn it around but weā€™re only 2 games into the season. Of course, the boo birds will reply with the standard linesā€¦we always lose games we shouldnā€™t, defense, too many threes, etc. Well, if executed, it works.

I still think there is a major difference in this yearā€™s team. We have a PG. I may take Carlos a few games to get comfortable but the guy can play! There will be two major differences if Phil Jones get cleared. EJ and Jones will make up for Curtā€™s rebounds and give us 20 pts per game.

We have a PG. I may take Carlos a few games to get comfortable but the guy can play! There will be two major differences if Phil Jones get cleared. EJ and Jones will make up for Curt's rebounds and give us 20 pts per game.

I hope youā€™re right on Carlos but these juco guys are hit or miss. There is no guarantee he can play just because the hype says so.

I am curious to see what Jones can do if he ever clears, however adding up points and rebounds between two players doesnā€™t replace Withers. You canā€™t replace the double and triple team he drew every time he touched the ball. That will be missed dearly and not replaced this season.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;199561]Excellent point. Itā€™s embarrassing, really. Imagine what outsiders and recruits think when they see this garbage after one loss. Our fan base looks like a bunch of fairweather fans. Whereā€™s the loyalty? We should be thinking, that was a dissapointing loss but letā€™s put our faith in the coaching staff to figure out what happened and win a bunch of games. I was about to say turn it around but weā€™re only 2 games into the season. Of course, the boo birds will reply with the standard linesā€¦we always lose games we shouldnā€™t, defense, too many threes, etc. Well, if executed, it works.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s what message boards are for. Fans of all decent teams will be upset when they lose games that they should have won easily. We would really be in trouble if our fans didnā€™t get upset after a loss like that.

15 assists is poor, but realize that someone must also make a basket in order for an assist to occur. When you shoot 32.3% for the game, there aren't too many opportunities for assists.

If I hadnā€™t watched the games myselfā€¦I might would agree. However, the reason we shot 32% is because we had no ball movement and no creating looks on offense. Our shots were all one-on-one shotsā€¦which is why the shooting percentage is so bad. We created no easy looks which created very few assists.

I don't feel like we recovered well last year.

Maybe compared to how bad we were going to be, but we never put a great team on the floor last year.

I saw us look like absolute shit against Richmond, Wake Forest and only mediocre against a GW team that we should have beaten.

I went to lots of away games last year (because they were easier to get to than home games) and a couple of home games and we just looked like garbage at every turn. We were never a really good team last year, in any game that I saw. And we started out the year just like we finished, unimpressive.

D.O.B.A.

Contrary to what a lot of you want to believeā€¦I really do want to be optimistic. But when I watch the team with my own eyes, I can only process information from what I take in.

Without sugar coating itā€¦PB is right. We were a bad team all year last year. This year, we have a lot more positive pieces to the puzzle but the TEAM is still just as bad (so far) in the same areas (defense and creating high percentage looks on offense).

To me, that is whatā€™s most frustrating. We have more shooters, more scorers, more athletes and a supposedly TRUE point guardā€¦and yet we still donā€™t play D or create high percentage offense!!!

THAT is why I am so frustrated!!!

[QUOTE=Max Power;199621]Thatā€™s what message boards are for. Fans of all decent teams will be upset when they lose games that they should have won easily. We would really be in trouble if our fans didnā€™t get upset after a loss like that.[/QUOTE]

Of course. See ā€œTime for a changeā€ and ā€œget rid of ADā€. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. Ridiculous.