ODU Home Game 1-11-20 4:00 Tip + Alumni Game

Niners 8 of 20 from three point land. ODU 1 of 22. Ball game.

1 Like

For an older guy, Jeff Jones is pretty fiery. Saw him push his assistant at the same time they were waving the white flag and putting in the scrubs. Also, thought he was going to physically assault one of his players during a time out.

So good to start 3-0, but damn, I was not thrilled with a lot of what happened on D. Their guards got to the rim almost at will for large stretches and if they just go 4-22 from 3pt land then we lose this game.

The pack line was more pack dots for large stretches. Our guys continue to struggle to stay in front of super quick guards. Thatā€™ll eat us alive on the road when the other teams will naturally shoot better from outside.

ā€œO ye of little faith ā€œ

1 Like

Great D today! Xavier Green and AJ Oliver II entered the game as co-leading scorers for the Monarchs at 13.8 ppg each. To hold them both to the 2 points scored by Green is crazy!

Even more crazy is clicking on the link to the C-USA MBB standings and seeing the Niners in first place - alone and undefeated! :+1:

http://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx?path=mbball

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m of little faith. Love love love the progress but if you told me weā€™d be 9-5, first in conference at 3-0 and the only undefeated conference team at this point in the season I wouldnā€™t believe it.

Marked the fifth game in a row of holding our opponent to 22 or fewer points scored in the first half. :clap:

1 Like

Happy to win this one. Some very weird things though. We got stuck on 4 points in the second half until there was only 9:57 left. Who does that? Who does that and wins? ODUā€™s last couple of possessions before bringing in their scrubs they used most of the clock. Down ten with a couple of minutes left, you score fast. I think ODU threw in the towel before their bench ever came in.

I was thinking that Sanchez had his rotation set in stone, but now Vasic is getting good minutes. I guess anyone has a shot, but nobody that came in for the last minute looked like they knew what to do. Robb didnā€™t start, but he played the most minutes and gave us 6 points and 6 rebounds. He often gets stuck taking the last second, bad percentage shot, but he gives it a good try.

Time to go beat Marshall.

Yep. If Sanchez would take off his shirt and dance after games this board would be ready to give him a 5 year extension and make him the highest paid coach in CUSA.

Well, thatā€™s what gets you on ESPN and a ton of pub

Thought maybe we would get mentioned in one of Jon Rothsteinā€™s cliche ridden tweets today. Chapel Hill, Davidson and ECU all did!

Lutz got us on ESPN and a ton of pub.

ODU Message Board

https://csnbbs.com/thread-892098-page-3.html

My takeaway from that thread is that our defense makes other teamsā€™ fans hate their offense. Thatā€™s awesome defense right there.

D.O.B.A.

First 7 games the defense gave up 68.14 ppg. The last 7 games it is 53 ppg. Based on last season I expect the defense will keep getting better. In order to play better defense early in the season we need to be able to grow starters year over year versus pulling in transfers. It takes a few games to really get dialed in with this defense.

clt says fear the pack line!

D1 defense stats

Season defensive ppg: 60.6/18th (Home: 56ppg; Away: 68ppg)
Last 3 games defensive ppg: 51/3rd

Defensive Efficiency: 25th

1 Like

I wonder if itā€™s time to reconsider the seating again? Itā€™s hard to distinguish the student section vs the other sections. No more real 6th main feel/advantage.

3 Likes

Jones definitely threw in the towel too soon. It was only a two possession game with about 30 seconds left. Kind of weird to watch.

1 Like