ODU Post Game

[quote=ā€œJB, post:35, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:6, topic:30163ā€]Great game. Yā€™all showed some grit. Seniority may have been the difference in the end. White really hurt yā€™all.

Donā€™t worry, youā€™ll only have to see Freeman 4 times. :wink: Unless of course we meet in the CUSA tournament.[/quote]
With him being eligible to graduate transfer after the season I would advise you to enjoy his likely final games in an ODU uniform.[/quote]

Huh? Freeman has played 4 years (2 at Campbell, 2 at ODU). I believe heā€™s out of eligibility. Too bad, heā€™s their whole team.

Absolutely! Foul before the shot. Donā€™t let them have the three pointer. I learned that in the second grade when no kid in my class could even get the ball to the basket from the three point line.
Even fouling the shooter in the act would have been better than letting him take the shot.[/quote]

Can we all refer back to the FIU game and see that this isnā€™t the greatest idea with our current youth?[/quote]Agreed. Great player made a big shot. We had our chances and didnā€™t take advantage of them. Just another game to learn from.[/quote]

I recall some of the so-called experts on this board criticizing a certain former coach when he elected not to foul in a similar situation in the final game of the regular season. We still finished in the upper half of the A10 that year with 19 wins and some of our fans thought 19 wins were awful. Wow, how I would love to see that again. I think Price has us on the way.

Not if the shooter was in the act of hitting a 3 pointer.[/quote]

I know I criticized Lutz against Richmond. Still believe that if you are up 3 with a short amount of time left, the other teamā€™s lead guard is their best player, a strong 3 point shooter and someone you havenā€™t defended well during the game, and your team is probably not the better team overall and will probably lose in OT, you foul. Just makes sense in that scenario.

I didnā€™t keep up with the game as I was at a company party last night but it sounds similar. Hard for me to criticize since I didnā€™t watch it unfoldā€¦but Iā€™ve seen this scenario play out at Halton before.

The foul should have come, if ever, after Freeman passed off and before he got it back/as he got the back. If we tried to foul Freeman once he had the ball back and was facing the basket, he would have gotten a shot off and knowing him would have made it.

Itā€™s tough to coach freshman to execute that during the flow of play when there is greater than 30 seconds left in the game like when the penultimate possession in regulation began.

Refs were pretty bad last night. Not the reason we lost (and almost the reason we won actually), but still bad.

There were several fouls they missed on odu, but in the sake of fairness, uchebo traveled badly on the play near the end of regulation.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:44, topic:30163ā€]Refs were pretty bad last night. Not the reason we lost (and almost the reason we won actually), but still bad.

There were several fouls they missed on odu, but in the sake of fairness, uchebo traveled badly on the play near the end of regulation.[/quote] So several missed calls are equal to one missed call (if indeed you are correct that Joe traveled) ? Refs are human and those guys last night just let their emotions get the better of them, which Iā€™ve seen before for short periods of time during a game. Usually after a few bad spite calls, the refs unwad their panties and start calling the game fairly again. Not the case yesterday.

On a positive note, last night solidified a budding sports hate we have with ODU. That can be a good thing. ;D

[quote=ā€œIron9er, post:41, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œJB, post:35, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:6, topic:30163ā€]Great game. Yā€™all showed some grit. Seniority may have been the difference in the end. White really hurt yā€™all.

Donā€™t worry, youā€™ll only have to see Freeman 4 times. :wink: Unless of course we meet in the CUSA tournament.[/quote]
With him being eligible to graduate transfer after the season I would advise you to enjoy his likely final games in an ODU uniform.[/quote]

Huh? Freeman has played 4 years (2 at Campbell, 2 at ODU). I believe heā€™s out of eligibility. Too bad, heā€™s their whole team.[/quote] You are right Iron9er. Freeman is listed as a redshirt senior on their roster. The ODU poster either was just trolling or doesnā€™t know his own team.

[quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:46, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œIron9er, post:41, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œJB, post:35, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:6, topic:30163ā€]Great game. Yā€™all showed some grit. Seniority may have been the difference in the end. White really hurt yā€™all.

Huh? Freeman has played 4 years (2 at Campbell, 2 at ODU). I believe heā€™s out of eligibility. Too bad, heā€™s their whole team.[/quote] You are right Iron9er. Freeman is listed as a redshirt senior on their roster. The ODU poster either was just trolling or doesnā€™t know his own team.[/quote]

I said yā€™all have to play Freeman 4 times. Yā€™all are now 0-4 against him. Meaning that you wonā€™t have to play him again.

Explain how JBā€™s confusion means that Iā€™m ā€œtrollingā€ or ā€œdonā€™t know my team.ā€

I thought the Niners got a few calls, but it did seem a little one-sided. Definitely didnā€™t notice much if any homecooking this time (and weā€™ve gotten that sometimes in the past), which is frustrating when other teams seem to get that consistently. That said, it probably didnā€™t help that the crowd wasnā€™t bigger.

I agree with those saying not to foul in that situation, too many things can go wrong, particularly when the players canā€™t play tough D and keep their eyes on the clock. We could foul too early (really bad given our poor ft shooting averages), foul a 3 shot, get an and-1 on a made 3 (the worst outcome), get a flagrant or technical called, or even just foul correctly but leaving enough time for them to rebound a missed 2nd ft and/or steal the inbounds. Iā€™d much rather see us double Freeman and force him to give up the ball, and make someone else hit a 3, thatā€™s where I think the coaches may have screwed up (or the players just didnā€™t get it done).

I hate to see the guys lose another tough one like this, would be nice to reward them when they play decently (that 2nd half). If the team can continue to improve defensively and hit ftā€™s more like last night, then we will have a better shot at pulling these close ones out going forward. I just wish we had Uchebo for one more year at least, he carries this team at times.

[quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:47, topic:30163ā€]I said yā€™all have to play Freeman 4 times. Yā€™all are now 0-4 against him. Meaning that you wonā€™t have to play him again.

Explain how JBā€™s confusion means that Iā€™m ā€œtrollingā€ or ā€œdonā€™t know my team.ā€[/quote] Could have cleared that up by saying ā€œyou will only have had to seeā€ rather than ā€œyou will only have to seeā€, which can be interpreted to mean four more times in the future.

I donā€™t think youā€™re trying to troll necessarily, but what you posted comes across as smack talk, and right after a tough loss like that, donā€™t act surprised at a hostile reaction.

[quote=ā€œ9erken, post:49, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:47, topic:30163ā€]I said yā€™all have to play Freeman 4 times. Yā€™all are now 0-4 against him. Meaning that you wonā€™t have to play him again.

Explain how JBā€™s confusion means that Iā€™m ā€œtrollingā€ or ā€œdonā€™t know my team.ā€[/quote] Could have cleared that up by saying ā€œyou will only have had to seeā€ rather than ā€œyou will only have to seeā€, which can be interpreted to mean four more times in the future.

I donā€™t think youā€™re trying to troll necessarily, but what you posted comes across as smack talk, and right after a tough loss like that, donā€™t act surprised at a hostile reaction.[/quote]

9ERKen is right. Freemanā€™s stats look like he has only played 3 years.It was just a bit confusing. We didnā€™t mean to offend you guys from Dominican.

You always should foul up 3 late with time running out. ALWAYS.

If you donā€™t they have to do one thing, hit a 3.

Foul and lots has to happen. 1- hit the first FT. 2- get the rebound on the second FT. 3- Score again.

All that being said I didnā€™t see the game so I donā€™t really know what the flow was so I will deferā€¦

Lolā€¦ the communication error in this case lies on the receiving end. Hilarious to watch ya try to spin that one.

In what way am I acting surprised? All Iā€™ve done is defend myself of false accusations of ā€œtrollingā€ and ā€œnot knowing my team.ā€ Iā€™ve actually taken the high road and havenā€™t even responded to messages like these:

He certainly has a ridiculous usage rate. Itā€™s not like we arenā€™t getting a ton of help though next year though. That help includes two top 100 recruits and some other gems. There is more uncertainty going into next year than there was this; however, we will be a much more balanced and WAY deeper team next year. Iā€™ll put it this way, the '16-'17 Monarchs have a higher ceiling than 13-10 after 23 games like the current team is sitting.

He certainly has a ridiculous usage rate. Itā€™s not like we arenā€™t getting a ton of help though next year though. That help includes two top 100 recruits and some other gems. There is more uncertainty going into next year than there was this; however, we will be a much more balanced and WAY deeper team next year. Iā€™ll put it this way, the '16-'17 Monarchs have a higher ceiling than 13-10 after 23 games like the current team is sitting.[/quote]

Yeah, but werenā€™t you trumping up last year how good youā€™d be this year with all the guys you were getting in plus returning? Everybody thinks they will be better next year with great recruits, though not always the case. Youā€™re better than us the last 2 years, sure, but a 13-10 CUSA team isnā€™t much to gloat about.

Congrats to Freeman, though, heā€™s a heck of a player.

He certainly has a ridiculous usage rate. Itā€™s not like we arenā€™t getting a ton of help though next year though. That help includes two top 100 recruits and some other gems. There is more uncertainty going into next year than there was this; however, we will be a much more balanced and WAY deeper team next year. Iā€™ll put it this way, the '16-'17 Monarchs have a higher ceiling than 13-10 after 23 games like the current team is sitting.[/quote]

Howā€™s it feel to be ODUā€™s version of StillJonesing?

Howā€™s it feel to be ODUā€™s version of StillJonesing?[/quote]

Yeah, I almost brought his name up, but thought that if we do so he might pop up here like Beetlejuice.

Lolā€¦ the communication error in this case lies on the receiving end. Hilarious to watch ya try to spin that one.

In what way am I acting surprised? All Iā€™ve done is defend myself of false accusations of ā€œtrollingā€ and ā€œnot knowing my team.ā€ Iā€™ve actually taken the high road and havenā€™t even responded to messages like these:

[quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:11, topic:30163ā€]Donā€™t worry too much that #20 might blow out a knee or something and yaā€™ll will be totally screwed. Enjoy your 8 on 5 win.[/quote][/quote] The high road is the one that leads you somewhere else besides here. Donā€™t come buzzing around like a mosquito and act all huffy when you get slapped.
Good day, sir.

[quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:57, topic:30163ā€]The high road is the one that leads you somewhere else besides here. Donā€™t come buzzing around like a mosquito and act all huffy when you get slapped.
Good day, sir.[/quote]

I see youā€™re still emotional about Freemanā€™s game tying (ending) 3-pointer.

Look guys, next year we have these guys coming in:

BJ Stith RS SO
Austin Colbert RS JR
Alassane Kah JR
Trey Porter RS SO

Plus weā€™re getting other freshman and JUCO talent. Brandan Stith had a great game last night in the post. Heā€™s been putting in work. Only a RS SO.

ODU will be fine. Thanks guys.

[quote=ā€œFatalisk, post:58, topic:30163ā€][quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:57, topic:30163ā€]The high road is the one that leads you somewhere else besides here. Donā€™t come buzzing around like a mosquito and act all huffy when you get slapped.
Good day, sir.[/quote]

I see youā€™re still emotional about Freemanā€™s game tying (ending) 3-pointer.

Look guys, next year we have these guys coming in:

BJ Stith RS SO
Austin Colbert RS JR
Alassane Kah JR
Trey Porter RS SO

Plus weā€™re getting other freshman and JUCO talent. Brandan Stith had a great game last night in the post. Heā€™s been putting in work. Only a RS SO.

ODU will be fine. Thanks guys.[/quote]
You do understand Charlotte is a very, very young team with transfers coming in next year too right? Also this is Priceā€™s first full year of recruiting. Trust me Charlotte is only getting better from here on out.

i really doubt that odu will get a player coming in that can produce like trey freeman. on the other hand, we are adding to our already talented, young backcourt with a highly ranked guard who might be the most highly ranked incoming player in the league.