Off Topic

[QUOTE=moss2k;405106]I’m sure if there was a 6’9 kid in Charlotte that can shoot the long ball that Lutz and Co. would be all over it.[/QUOTE]

I rarely, rarely comment on recruits because I take the stance that I will wait and see how they are on the court before I say anything about them. I hope I can eat a lot of crow over this guy.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405105]Recruiting local kids builds a bond with the community. If you get a kid from a local high school, they are more likely to bring people to the games.[/QUOTE]

not if they aren’t playing which is the case hootie is talking about.

the coaches should do their best to find talent wherever it is. In a big city like Charlotte, people come out to see a winning team not a bunch of local kids.

some kids aren’t gonna produce but that’s the way it is at every school.

Our roster is almost always leftovers and taking chances.

That’s a little bit of a stretch, I think the bottom line is you’re not going to get a stud when positions 1-5 already have someone some good depth. Look at our roster today.

PG - Harris/Green
SG - Bowden/Ian
SF - Wilderness/Dew
PF - Spears/Braswell/Sherril
C - Jones

That’s ten guys right there, that will get the majority of the minutes, so taking a chance on a guy that might give us 20 minutes later down the road seems like a good idea. You are right though, most of the time they don’t work out, hopefully this is different.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405109]I rarely, rarely comment on recruits because I take the stance that I will wait and see how they are on the court before I say anything about them.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, unless I’ve seen them play in person at the high school level, and I try not to get too specific even then on their ablities unless I’ve seen them in over 10 games. I went to watch K.J. in his last playoff game last year just to see what he could do because I had not gotten to see him play yet. The game is so much different from high school to college, especially for post players, that it’s hard to draw much out of their high school games anyways.

That's a little bit of a stretch, I think the bottom line is you're not going to get a stud when positions 1-5 already have someone some good depth. Look at our roster today.

PG - Harris/Green
SG - Bowden/Ian
SF - Wilderness/Dew
C - Jones

That’s ten guys right there, that will get the majority of the minutes, so taking a chance on a guy that might give us 20 minutes later down the road seems like a good idea. You are right though, most of the time they don’t work out, hopefully this is different.

Coleman?

[QUOTE=EE9er;405112]That’s a little bit of a stretch, I think the bottom line is you’re not going to get a stud when positions 1-5 already have someone some good depth. Look at our roster today.

PG - Harris/Green
SG - Bowden/Ian
SF - Wilderness/Dew
C - Jones

That’s ten guys right there, that will get the majority of the minutes, so taking a chance on a guy that might give us 20 minutes later down the road seems like a good idea. You are right though, most of the time they don’t work out, hopefully this is different.[/QUOTE]

I would say Coleman over Ian if he drives to the basket more.

I would say Coleman over Ian if he drives to the basket more.

Yeah forgot about Coleman… so that’s 11 in the rotation… geez, even if we get Sirin, we could red shirt him unless we get the “I” word again.

[QUOTE=EE9er;405112]That’s a little bit of a stretch, I think the bottom line is you’re not going to get a stud when positions 1-5 already have someone some good depth. Look at our roster today.

PG - Harris/Green
SG - Bowden/Ian
SF - Wilderness/Dew
C - Jones

That’s ten guys right there, that will get the majority of the minutes, so taking a chance on a guy that might give us 20 minutes later down the road seems like a good idea. You are right though, most of the time they don’t work out, hopefully this is different.[/QUOTE]

Wilderness, Dewhurst and Jones are three guys I think we have that aren’t projects or leftovers out of known quantities. Spears started at BC and transfered here, we were not his first choice. Coleman is a mediocre JUCO 2G. Andersen is a project that didn’t quite pan out.

I can’t comment on Braswell, Sherrill, Green or Bowden, because I haven’t seen them play yet. I hope that all four of them are studs, but I don’t imagine that Green will be. Hope I am wrong.

There is nothing wrong with carrying a scholarship, especially if the person you are going to give it to is not going to play at all. Ever.

I can't comment on Braswell, Sherrill, Green or Bowden, because I haven't seen them play yet. I hope that all four of them are studs, but I don't imagine that Green will be. Hope I am wrong.

There is nothing wrong with carrying a scholarship, especially if the person you are going to give it to is not going to play at all. Ever.

I don’t know what your defenition of “stud” is but if Green can score 8 a game dish out 4 assists he’s fine with me. I don’t think the coaches think they can carry a scholy over, they would rather give it out I guess… maybe there thinking is use it or lose it, we don’t get anything in return if we don’t use it and at least we get another practice player if we do.

[QUOTE=EE9er;405123]I don’t know what your defenition of “stud” is but if Green can score 8 a game dish out 4 assists he’s fine with me. I don’t think the coaches think they can carry a scholy over, they would rather give it out I guess… maybe there thinking is use it or lose it, we don’t get anything in return if we don’t use it and at least we get another practice player if we do.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I would be happy with a reserve guard who is solid, but I really am not sold on anyone at our 2G spot yet. We need a stud 2g that some people are positive Bowden is going to be. I hope someone is. We need at least 2 studs to emerge to make our team legit.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405119]I can’t comment on …because I haven’t seen them play yet.

…the person you are going to give it to is not going to play at all. Ever.[/QUOTE]

This thread is embarassing.

I don't know what your defenition of "stud" is but if Green can score 8 a game dish out 4 assists he's fine with me. I don't think the coaches think they can carry a scholy over, they would rather give it out I guess.... maybe there thinking is use it or lose it, we don't get anything in return if we don't use it and at least we get another practice player if we do.

that’s fine with me (as far as a PG goes.)

I agree that we do need a “stud” at 2Guard to be effective. Hopefully Shamarr can be that stud shooter. The frontcourt will be great if Phil drops some weight and improves his hands this offseason. Spears and Braswell will have an immediate impact.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;405149]I agree that we do need a “stud” at 2Guard to be effective. Hopefully Shamarr can be that stud shooter. The frontcourt will be great if Phil drops some weight and improves his hands this offseason. Spears and Braswell will have an immediate impact.[/QUOTE]

Yep. A strong scoring presence in the backcourt is a must have. I’m not worried about frontcourt scoring, we should be okay there.

[QUOTE=arn;405110]not if they aren’t playing which is the case hootie is talking about.

the coaches should do their best to find talent wherever it is. In a big city like Charlotte, people come out to see a winning team not a bunch of local kids.

some kids aren’t gonna produce but that’s the way it is at every school.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what our recruiting budget is these days, but how many trips to the west coast do you want us to take for the 12th man on the roster??

not if they aren't playing which is the case hootie is talking about.

some kids aren’t gonna produce but that’s the way it is at every school.

We could assemble a nasty team each year with just “local” kids. There’s plenty of talent in this area each and every year. The problem is, that a lot of those guys will go on to play for the ACC, or they are originally from the north and will head north to play their college ball.

Yeah forgot about Coleman... so that's 11 in the rotation... geez, even if we get Sirin, we could red shirt him unless we get the "I" word again.

Forgot Barnett too. My guess is Braswell is going to have to play the 5 some. I know he’s not a true 5, but what other option do we have? So that may lead to some minutes at the 4 for Barnett. Hopefully he’ll get stronger over the summer.

[QUOTE=Normmm;405181]Forgot Barnett too. My guess is Braswell is going to have to play the 5 some. I know he’s not a true 5, but what other option do we have? So that may lead to some minutes at the 4 for Barnett. Hopefully he’ll get stronger over the summer.[/QUOTE]

Barnett is plenty strong, although more will certainly not hurt him. He is simply not a 4 and I can’t imagine him ever being one. KJ will likely be the one playing the 4 when Braswell is at the 5 and Spears is on the bench.

This thread is embarassing.

Agreed, and off topic. Let’s talk about Sirin, not express personal opinions on Bobby’s coaching style.

He’ll be training at 500x gravity this summer.