Off Topic

Huh? Not sure about that assessment. I'm looking for huge dividends from Sherril. I think he'll bring 15-20 great minutes a game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69380&action=login&appRedirect=http%3A%2F%2Finsider.espn.go.com%2Fncb%2Frecruiting%2Ftracker%2Fplayer%3FrecruitId%3D69380

I wish I didn’t read that. :biggrin: That’s some serious praise. I’m going to try to pretend I never saw that and do my best to sleep on him till the fall.

[QUOTE=NLP;405504]I wish I didn’t read that. :biggrin: That’s some serious praise. I’m going to try to pretend I never saw that and do my best to sleep on him till the fall.[/QUOTE]

I dare you bump his thread and add that in there. Or should we just start a Withers vs Sherrill thread?

Maybe so, but all I'm saying is it's worth signing him and watching his development.

Other than the fact that we have NO history of ever developing a"Project"-type player.

None.

I’m serious in the fact that we don’t do much developing at all with ANY player.

The few “projects” we have ever signed, are usually “encouraged” to transfer a year or two later.

Again…I hope this kid is different…and I hope the circumstances are different…and I would LOVE to eat a HUGE plate full of crow on this one. But history has proven that we just don’t do well on “projects” that need development.

i don’t recall anybody thinking harris was going to develop as well as he has, those of us who were excited, were excited primarily because he sounded like he really loved the niners and wanted to play here. you could call him a project…or an unreal ‘development’ at least!

[QUOTE=earlyniner;405882]i don’t recall anybody thinking harris was going to develop as well as he has, those of us who were excited, were excited primarily because he sounded like he really loved the niners and wanted to play here. you could call him a project…or an unreal ‘development’ at least![/QUOTE]

Bingo. I don’t recall anyone on this board looking at him as more than a backup for Gerrity, except the semester Gerrity sat out. Most still weren’t sold on him even when Gerrity returned. They’ll be some disqualifier for him not being a project according to several, though.

[QUOTE=X-49er;406088]Bingo. I don’t recall anyone on this board looking at him as more than a backup for Gerrity, except the semester Gerrity sat out. Most still weren’t sold on him even when Gerrity returned. They’ll be some disqualifier for him not being a project according to several, though.[/QUOTE]

Guards typically aren’t projects. When you’re 5’9" or 6’, you either have ball skills or not, that’s not to say you can’t improve.

Sometimes the bigger guys require a longer gestation period to grow into their bodies so they can be crap as a frosh but have a big upside.

[QUOTE=hootie;406143]Guards typically aren’t projects. When you’re 5’9" or 6’, you either have ball skills or not, that’s not to say you can’t improve.

Sometimes the bigger guys require a longer gestation period to grow into their bodies so they can be crap as a frosh but have a big upside.[/QUOTE]

Dijuan was a [B]walk-on[/B], Hootie. I know guards, on average, don’t require as much development as big men, but a walk-on cannot be considered a non-project if there were ever intensions to play him significantly. Now, if there were no intensions on him ever becoming more than just a practice player, then I would agree with you if you put it in that context. I don’t think that was the case, though. Bobby told him that he could walk on and if he improved his game to a level worthy, then he would receive a scholarship. He far exceeded that level. Now, either he was a project and our coaches helped his game improve greatly, or he wasn’t a project and our coaches helped him improve his game greatly.

[QUOTE=X-49er;406144]Dijuan was a [B]walk-on[/B], Hootie. I know guards, on average, don’t require as much development as big men, but a walk-on cannot be considered a non-project if there were ever intensions to play him significantly. Now, if there were no intensions on him ever becoming more than just a practice player, then I would agree with you if you put it in that context. I don’t think that was the case, though. Bobby told him that he could walk on and if he improved his game to a level worthy, then he would receive a scholarship. He far exceeded that level. Now, either he was a project and our coaches helped his game improve greatly, or he wasn’t a project and our coaches helped him improve his game greatly.[/QUOTE]

I truly believe that Dijuan came in not playing like a [B]walk-on[/B]. I feel his production this year was more of a result of the tremendous amount of minutes (not really splitting time with anyone), and having a year under his belt in Lutz system. I consider development more of being able to do something proficiently that you couldn’t do before. For example, if Anjuan or Dewhurst came in this year with a viable jumpshot, then I would say that was development. One thing Dijuan should development is being able to shoot while coming off screens or off the dribble. On a physical side, I will say that Dijuan was stronger than the previous year, and was able to finish a little better than before. Otherwise, I don’t think Dijuan ever really played like or had the skill level of a [B]walk-on[/B].

Dijuan was a [B]walk-on[/B], Hootie. I know guards, on average, don't require as much development as big men, but a walk-on cannot be considered a non-project if there were ever intensions to play him significantly. Now, if there were no intensions on him ever becoming more than just a practice player, then I would agree with you if you put it in that context. I don't think that was the case, though. Bobby told him that he could walk on and if he improved his game to a level worthy, then he would receive a scholarship. He far exceeded that level. Now, either he was a project and our coaches helped his game improve greatly, or he wasn't a project and our coaches helped him improve his game greatly.

You can’t win this one. I argued it a few month’s ago. For the players that did develop or get better, people have an excuse that it had nothing to do with the system, the player naturally got better with experience, can’t include jucos because they were only in the system 2 years or that some players didn’t in fact get better. I’m talking about players like Dijuan, Jobey, Eddie, KP, Drayton, Leemire. Hell, even Demarco.

A lot of players have “developed” into better players while at Charlotte. If the coaches like Sirin and he likes Charlotte, hopefully he will too.

Whether or not Dijuan was a project or not doesn’t matter to me. He improved his game and became the best player we had last year. We have had recruits who haven’t developed and we’ve had some that have.
Any basketball player has to have a strong work ethic if they are going to become more productive. That is what I like about Sirin. Maybe he lacks strength right now, maybe he’s not that great of a defender, but if he can shoot and he is working hard on becoming stronger and a better defender I say we sign him.

[QUOTE=Normmm;406173]You can’t win this one. I argued it a few month’s ago. For the players that did develop or get better, people have an excuse that it had nothing to do with the system, the player naturally got better with experience, can’t include jucos because they were only in the system 2 years or that some players didn’t in fact get better. I’m talking about players like Dijuan, Jobey, Eddie, KP, Drayton, Leemire. Hell, even Demarco.

A lot of players have “developed” into better players while at Charlotte. If the coaches like Sirin and he likes Charlotte, hopefully he will too.[/QUOTE]

I do think that Jobey, Eddie, and Leemire developed under Lutz and his staff.

[QUOTE=X-49er;406144]Dijuan was a [B]walk-on[/B], Hootie. I know guards, on average, don’t require as much development as big men, but a walk-on cannot be considered a non-project if there were ever intensions to play him significantly. Now, if there were no intensions on him ever becoming more than just a practice player, then I would agree with you if you put it in that context. I don’t think that was the case, though. Bobby told him that he could walk on and if he improved his game to a level worthy, then he would receive a scholarship. He far exceeded that level. Now, either he was a project and our coaches helped his game improve greatly, or he wasn’t a project and our coaches helped him improve his game greatly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Dijuan wasn’t the average walk-on. He had offers from other places and choose to come here. Granted not big-time schools, but still.

Once again, I never said someone can’t improve. Most players that want to improve generally do. I never really thought of Dijuan as a project. Jobey got a lot better, but I didn’t think he was a project either.

I personally consider Phil Jones a project. I’m pulling for him, but he needs a little more fire in his a$$ IMO.

I guess it depends on what you consider a project and I generally associate that more with a big guy.

And Punkrock is correct. Classify Dijuan ever how you want, it’s a good thing we had him last year or it would have even been worse and he was our best player.

[QUOTE=hootie;406209]Yeah, but Dijuan wasn’t the average walk-on. He had offers from other places and choose to come here. Granted not big-time schools, but still. [/QUOTE]

Agreed there.

[QUOTE=hootie;406209]I never really thought of Dijuan as a project. [/QUOTE]

It’s all in how you look at it. I was just taking the side of he was a walk-on who was expected to be a backup, and led the A-10 in assists and was in the Top 5 in the nation in assist/TO ratio. I don’t think anyone saw that coming from a former walk on. I was critical of Dijuan not scoring, because it allowed the defense to double other players with ease. Dijuan began being more assertive about mid-January though, and we played better from then on.

[QUOTE=hootie;406209] Jobey got a lot better, but I didn’t think he was a project either.[/QUOTE]

Jobey was the NC State 4A Player of the Year his senior year at Independence, if memory serves me correctly, and he carried Indy to the state title. He was a dead-eye shooter, just slow-footed on defense for the D1 level coming out of high school. He improved that greatly though, and became a pretty good defensive player. His shooting is still legendary.

[QUOTE=hootie;406209] I guess it depends on what you consider a project and I generally associate that more with a big guy. [/QUOTE]

It can be a particular aspect of any player’s game, as well. Eddie’s shooting, Jobey and Ian’s defense, FT shooting, etc. Overall, most of time it is a big man that we refer to as a “project”, but sometimes we get a one-trick pony that has to develope the rest of their game.

[QUOTE=hootie;406209] Classify Dijuan ever how you want, it’s a good thing we had him last year or it would have even been worse and he was our best player.[/QUOTE]

True, he was a big help, but Gerrity does not leave if Dijuan was not here. I’m not supporting Gerrity, just pointing out that we would not have been completely empty-handed.

Yeah, but Dijuan wasn't the average walk-on. He had offers from other places and choose to come here. Granted not big-time schools, but still.

Once again, I never said someone can’t improve. Most players that want to improve generally do. I never really thought of Dijuan as a project. Jobey got a lot better, but I didn’t think he was a project either.

I personally consider Phil Jones a project. I’m pulling for him, but he needs a little more fire in his a$$ IMO.

I guess it depends on what you consider a project and I generally associate that more with a big guy.

And Punkrock is correct. Classify Dijuan ever how you want, it’s a good thing we had him last year or it would have even been worse and he was our best player.

Yeah, I didn’t consider Jobey as a project either. But he wasn’t ranked as a high as a Tory Reed either. I guess my point about the “not developing players” is that it can’t both go both ways. And I’m not necessarily directing that at you, just in general.

If somebody is going to hold the program/coach responsible for not developing a Tory Reed, then they should also be given credit for when a Jobey or Eddie gets much better over their tenure. Because if you say that the player just matured and naturally progressed, the same could be said for a Reed, that he didn’t work hard or listen to the coaches, etc.

In general I consider a project or player that developed as somebody who by the end of their tenure contributed more than they did when they first entered the program. We’ve only had a handful IMO that came in and were immediate big time contributors. Colson, Demon and Rodney come to mind immediately.