Off Topic

I just don't see it happening. Barnett has no interior skills from what I've seen. He's always been a 2 in our system and at times seemed kind of lost, which is probably why he didn't see significant minutes. I think Barnett has potential, I just don't see him getting minutes at the 4. The coaches knew he'd be a project when they offered him a scholarship. I haven't seen a single coach or person close to the team refer to Sherrill as a project.
I thought Barnett should have seen a lot more minutes last year for experience sake, especially considering the season was an absolute bust. I liked his improvements when he got those rare minutes. You've always been a Barnett hater.

[QUOTE=49or bust;405293]I thought Barnett should have seen a lot more minutes last year for experience sake, especially considering the season was an absolute bust. I liked his improvements when he got those rare minutes. You’ve always been a Barnett hater.[/QUOTE]

I agree he should have gotten more minutes, but I saw nothing to indicate those should have come at anything other than SG.

I just don't see it happening. Barnett has no interior skills from what I've seen. He's always been a 2 in our system and at times seemed kind of lost, which is probably why he didn't see significant minutes. I think Barnett has potential, I just don't see him getting minutes at the 4. The coaches knew he'd be a project when they offered him a scholarship. I haven't seen a single coach or person close to the team refer to Sherrill as a project.

Fair enough. Good point about they’re not being mention of Sherrill being a project. But I guess it goes back to what I mentioned before, we’re expecting immediate impact from 5 newcomers; Braswell, Spears, Sherrill, Green, Bowden? I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it’s pretty rare when that does happen.

FWIW, I think Barnett played more 3 than 2. I’m not sure he played 2 at all. With Dewhurst, Wilderness, and Coleman at the 3, if Barnett wants playing time his best opportunity (or available minutes) will probably be at the 4.

[QUOTE=Normmm;405389]Fair enough. Good point about they’re not being mention of Sherrill being a project. But I guess it goes back to what I mentioned before, we’re expecting immediate impact from 5 newcomers; Braswell, Spears, Sherrill, Green, Bowden? I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it’s pretty rare when that does happen.

FWIW, I think Barnett played more 3 than 2. I’m not sure he played 2 at all. With Dewhurst, Wilderness, and Coleman at the 3, if Barnett wants playing time his best opportunity (or available minutes) will probably be at the 4.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of that.

[QUOTE=Normmm;405389]Fair enough. Good point about they’re not being mention of Sherrill being a project. But I guess it goes back to what I mentioned before, we’re expecting immediate impact from 5 newcomers; Braswell, Spears, Sherrill, Green, Bowden? I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it’s pretty rare when that does happen.
[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying they need to make a huge impact but they each need to play specific roles. Look at the NBA, the great teams have good younger guys who play roles that are important to the team’s success (i.e. Glenn Davis or Courtney Lee).

[QUOTE=bleedsgreenandgold;405393]I’m not saying they need to make a huge impact but they each need to play specific roles. Look at the NBA, the great teams have good younger guys who play roles that are important to the team’s success (i.e. Glenn Davis or Courtney Lee).[/QUOTE]

Yes, the NBA, good model for comparison.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405395]Yes, the NBA, good model for comparison.[/QUOTE]

That’s the model for any successful team. You definitely need guys to play specific roles (which may be smaller than what they are used to).

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;405420]That’s the model for any successful team. You definitely need guys to play specific roles (which may be smaller than what they are used to).[/QUOTE]

LeBron James has already been in the NBA 6 years. You can only be on a team 5 years in college.

You can’t compare an NBA team to a college team and say that is how to build a team. They are completely different.

The talent differential is insane. One Carmelo Anthony is enough to propel a solid team into a championship team. Think about how different our team would have been with Beasley.

Yes, teams that have 5-6 guys who have played together 3-4 years tend to excell, but that is because turnover is so high in college basketball.

John Wall.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405434]John Wall.[/QUOTE]

No, seriously… who is Plan A?

I don’t know.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405436]I don’t know.[/QUOTE]

No, he’s on third.

Fair enough. Good point about they're not being mention of Sherrill being a project. But I guess it goes back to what I mentioned before, [B][U]we're expecting immediate impact from 5 newcomers; Braswell, Spears, Sherrill, Green, Bowden[/U][/B]? I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's pretty rare when that does happen.

FWIW, I think Barnett played more 3 than 2. I’m not sure he played 2 at all. With Dewhurst, Wilderness, and Coleman at the 3, if Barnett wants playing time his best opportunity (or available minutes) will probably be at the 4.

I only expect real “impact” from Braswell, Spears and Bowden. Green to a lesser extent and then Sherrill. I don’t really remember a LOT of hype or expectations about Sherrill, even before he signed. I hope he turns out to be great, but I don’t really expect it—atleast not this season.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405423]LeBron James has already been in the NBA 6 years. You can only be on a team 5 years in college.

You can’t compare an NBA team to a college team and say that is how to build a team. They are completely different.

The talent differential is insane. One Carmelo Anthony is enough to propel a solid team into a championship team. Think about how different our team would have been with Beasley.

Yes, teams that have 5-6 guys who have played together 3-4 years tend to excell, but that is because turnover is so high in college basketball.[/QUOTE]

Yes, college basketball and the NBA build teams differently but coaches in both leagues still have to have players by into the concept of roles to be succesful.

[QUOTE=EJNiner;405430]If Plan A doesn’t come through this weekend, then Plan B (Siren) will become a Niner…[/QUOTE]

???

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405423]LeBron James has already been in the NBA 6 years. You can only be on a team 5 years in college.

Yes, teams that have 5-6 guys who have played together 3-4 years tend to excell, but that is because turnover is so high in college basketball.[/QUOTE]

I understand that the talent level is different from NBA to College basketball, but what it takes to be successful as a team is much the same. At both levels you need guys that are willing to sacrifice personal gain for the success of the team. On every good team you need at least one of each of the following: a solid versatile defender, a rebounder, a scorer, and a good distributer. Players many times have to sacrifice their personal scoring, for instance, to be the teams primary rebounder but the sacrifice is what makes the team great. These principles are true in the NBA, College, High School, etc. Most times the teams with great “talent”, but no one to fulfill all the roles will not win championships.

[QUOTE=moss2k;405461]I don’t think hes joking. He also mentioned it at some point in the shoutbox. But who knows. I’ll believe it when a reputable source (no offense EJ) gives us the intel[/QUOTE]

none taken…

[QUOTE=919R;405442]I only expect real “impact” from Braswell, Spears and Bowden. Green to a lesser extent and then Sherrill. I don’t really remember a LOT of hype or expectations about Sherrill, even before he signed. I hope he turns out to be great, but I don’t really expect it—atleast not this season.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Not sure about that assessment. I’m looking for huge dividends from Sherril. I think he’ll bring 15-20 great minutes a game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69380&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d69380

[QUOTE=EJNiner;405498]Huh? Not sure about that assessment. I’m looking for huge dividends from Sherril. I think he’ll bring 15-20 great minutes a game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69380&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d69380[/QUOTE]

WOW, I had not seen that write up.

Huh? Not sure about that assessment. I'm looking for huge dividends from Sherril. I think he'll bring 15-20 great minutes a game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69380&action=login&appRedirect=http%3A%2F%2Finsider.espn.go.com%2Fncb%2Frecruiting%2Ftracker%2Fplayer%3FrecruitId%3D69380

As I said before, I hope he is ALL-WORLD—but if you go by his hs career (very good, but not exactly all-world) and the other schools who recruited him, I would not say he is a “BIG-TIME” recruit (ie; someone who you EXPECT to make a huge impact right away)…IMO