Official NNN Game of Thrones (HBO) thread

940 posts? Jesus.

Martin will be back in New Zealand in 2020 for the World Science Fiction Convention in Wellington, at which he will serve as Toastmaster for the Hugo Awards. Intriguingly, Martin said he expects to have finished The Winds of Winter by the time the Convention is held in July 2020.

“If I don’t have The Winds of Winter in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done,” Martin said. “Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.”

GameSpot: Next Game Of Thrones Book, The Winds Of Winter, May Release In 2020.

Aaron Rodgers (who was in the next to last episode), HATED the ending of GoT: https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1130954018270920704?s=09

Trae Crowder’s last GoTDamn review:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I don’t see the point of allowing the North to break off. Can see the tv viewers thinking Winterfell was “special”. But why would the other actual families/kingdoms in the story think the North was more special than their kingdom. All this time they portrayed Sansa as trying to promote John. Then at the very end they portrayed her as extremely bratty after all.

I disagree with the Arya complaint though. I’ve been as critical of her character as anyone. But having her out exploring matches her character perfectly in my mind. She’s been a lone wolf for most of the series. That story at least matches it better than as being a “warrior”.

My biggest gripe, and I’m sure it’s completely related to time, is in one scene they have the Unsullied and the Dothraki basically almost rioting because they had won. Then in the next scene, after Dany had died, they had Grey Worm casually marching with Tyrion. They had the Unsullied and Dothraki too accepting, too quickly.

Lol. Gendry was always my outside the box guess of who would end up on the throne. It always confused me as to why a big deal was made of Ned Stark’s bastard but not Robert Baratheon’s. I assumed it meant his “glory” was being saved until the end.

The whole incident with Drogon seemed to be implying that the dragon was intelligent enough to know Dany had to die and AeJon had no choice in the matter. If you’re going the whole Smaug the talking dragon route that’s fine, but just one episode before Drogon “dracaried” the hell out of Kings Landing cause “momma” said so. I think we can thus dismiss the intelligent dragon angle.

So he would have realistically done one of two things.

1. Killed AeJon
  2. Acknowledge the last Targaryen as his new rider and helped AeJon cowl the Dothraki and Unsullied into obedience, or dracaried the hell out of them.

Flying off with Dany’s body to old Valyria is poetic, but also ridiculous. It was all a plot device to get AeJon in jail so he couldn’t become king so Bran could.

1 Like

Simple answer is Ned Stark didn’t really have a bastard. He had a nephew who was the legitimate son of the Targaryen heir to the throne, and thus the rightful King of Westeros. Plus Gendry hadn’t really had any real leadership responsibilities up until Dany named him Lord of Storms End and the Stormlands, Warden of the East. By that point AeJon had already been Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, King in the North, and Dany’s Warden of the North, Lord of Winterfell and the North.

Also, Gendry was just “some whore’s son” to most of the people in the show up until he told AeJon who his dad was. AeJon was always seen as the bastard of a high lord, so in their world he was much higher on the societal pedestal than Gendry.

But per the show, we didn’t know he wasn’t Ned Stark’s bastard until season 8.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:948, topic:25259”] Plus Gendry hadn’t really had any real leadership responsibilities up until Dany named him Lord of Storms End
[/quote]
That was my point. For 7 seasons they gave Stark’s bastard significance. But Baratheon’s bastard was hiding and making swords.

But like I said, he wasn’t just any bastard but NED STAR’S BASTARD, so he was already more significant than MOST other bastards, who’s fathers were unknown or nobodies. So yeah, Jon was going to get better treatment and acknowledgement than a typical Westerosi bastard would.

I think you’re confusing my inquiry. From the characters perspective in the story, yes, what you’re saying is true, Snow would be perceived as higher status.

I’m inquiring from the perspective of the writers, why did they make Stark’s bastard more relevant than Baratheon’s bastard.

More relevant how? Jon was always a central character and Gendry a second or even tertiary character. Do you mean for the Iron Throne?

How is being Ned’s bastard more important than being King Robert’s bastard?

I’m not even sure I want to know the answer to this because I don’t think I care about the argument.

The A.V. Club: The Game Of Thrones writers originally intended for Ser Jorah to make it to the end.

I think this really illustrates, definitively, that the show wrote its own story. Aside from some big beats that I expect to play out both differently and much more logically, the book story is going to bear only faint resemblance to the stuff D^2 tried to spackle in.

By the time people generally knew Gendry was Robert’s bastard all political power for the Baratheon family had been lost. All the significant previously known members of the Baratheon family (real and double Lannisters included) were dead. Between Robert’s death and Gendry’s public acknowledgement as his bastard everything about the Baratheon/Lannister line had been sullied beyond any possible support of a Baratheon bastard being nominated as King. Who was left to support Gendry’s claim to the throne?

Gendry, who I still believe is Cersei’s son (as GRRM may lay out), has more of a claim to the Iron Throne than Ned’s bastard does. In fact, there is precedent in the history GRRM laid out of a bastard inheriting his house when all the legitimate heirs have died.

From a common sense side of things - if Robert was supported at all (relative to Cersei) in King’s landing, all you’d have to do is tell the people he is Roberts son, and he supposedly looks just like him ( Mark Addy was a poor look alike), and the people would rally behind him. Or enough would anyway.

You seem to think Robert died much loved by the people and that they would welcome his “maybe” bastard over Prince Rhaegar’s legitimate son (cause they had verifiable proof he was Rhaegar’s lawful child). Even if he was much loved, and there is every indication he wasn’t that well loved, what his “legitimate” children did on the throne after him, not to mention his wife and two brothers, wouldn’t have made putting a Baratheon back on the throne a popular move. Again, AeJon is already a proven leader and King of the North, in addition to being the rightful Targaryen heir. Who would support Robert’s “maybe” bastard (there’s no proof but that he looks like him) over the rightful heir?

Who?

Not Sansa, not Arya, not the Vale lords, Edmure would probably follow his nieces’ lead, Tyreon was down for AeJon by the end, Bronn probably would have followed Tyreon’s advice on this. That leaves Yara and the new Dornish Prince as tossups.

Ok now you are changing the argument from Ned’s Bastard to Aegon Targaryean. I am no longer interested.

If you just want to talk Ned’s bastard then yes, the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North’s bastard is still significantly higher up the societal ladder than a bastard blacksmith apprentice only a few people know exist. Time frame is also important. Jon was always a few steps up the ladder than Gendry each of the 8 seasons.

You’re making the argument on how the story was laid out. I’m not questioning that. Yes Lord of Winterfell is higher than a blacksmith. I’m questioning why did GRRM and/or the HBO writers lay it out that way. Why did they have Ned Stark’s bastard become Lord of Winterfell, while only having Robert Baratheon’s bastard become a blacksmith?

I thought they were possibly saying, hey here is a blood heir to Baratheon, who was a commoner, who worked hard as a blacksmith, that the people could easily rally behind. Opposed to Joffrey, who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

My only guess it was written the way it was, was to attract readers/viewers to the Stark family, bastard or not. I don’t have a problem with that. But then why even have Gentry’s character? His character seems useless the way it played out. He didn’t even get Arya.