Old copies of games?

Quality isnā€™t so great. I swear I have seen the sportscenter highlights from that game on YouTube. Youā€™re right, the SC guys had fun with it. Plav was basically open the moment he stepped off the bus. Will never forget him burying shots from out near half court. Cold as ice.

Then there was this gem:

5 Likes

The Syracuse game was so much fun - his dad was there, but I was home with my family listening to it on the radio. Every time he scored, his mom would call me, weā€™d scream and hang up. lol

Indiana was insane! We drove through a blizzard to get there and my sister and I ran in for the last three minutes. I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest. Gah!

Such good memories. So thankful for our time in Charlotte. I know things are a lot different now, but maybe they can get back to what they used to be. :-/

8 Likes

Preach!

I was at Picassoā€™s bar on East Boulevard with @LeftyNiner and a few other friends for the IU game. IIRC Dale Halton was there too. We had taken the entire bar over, including the bar, the main dining room, and the side room where we would sometimes be relegated to. It was wall to wall 49er fans.

So you can imagine how that place exploded when Brendan hit that shot. Honestly, about half the people already had their keys out or were trying to settle their tabs. We thought the game was over, and thenā€¦ BOOM. I have never heard maybe 200 or so people be that loud in my life. People jumping up and down, fist pumping, standing up on their chairs, even hugging. I thought we were literally going to bring the roof down.

Thatā€™s one memory I will have forever. Thanks to BP and the team for that one.

The 'Cuse game I watched from home by myself, so I didnā€™t have anyone to high five. But it was fun that it was the first 49er broadcast on Bob Johnsonā€™s CSET channel he created for the Bobcats, and it was even more delicious because it was the night Cuse was hanging their National Championship banner. We sure took the wind out of their sails.

2 Likes

One of my favorite BP runsā€¦ I believe I watched this game on CSET.

DAVIDSON, N.C. (AP) ā€“ Brendan Plavich hit seven 3-pointers and
scored 23 points ā€“ all in the final 11 minutes ā€“ to help Charlotte
rally to an 87-68 win over Davidson on Wednesday.

After teammate Martin Iti's bucket, Plavich nailed three
consecutive 3s, one from 25 feet, another from 27 feet and the
third an off-balance heave from the left corner to put Charlotte
ahead 60-46 with 8:08 to go.

I had a flight and ticket to the IU game and decided against going to the airport that day because of the snow storm in Indy. Doh!

2 Likes

Fun story about the Indiana game. At 6:17 in that video, you can see a male Indiana cheerleader shove Mitchell Baldwin. Not an accidental shove either. I sent the video of the game to their cheer coach the next morning and got an apology a few days later with a message he had been removed from the squad. Probably fairly petty of me to do that, but ah well.

3 Likes

I was at that game. Was fun watching BP quiet the lolcat crowd. He shut them down over and over.

Back thenā€¦ Weā€™re up 21 at defending national champion Syracuse at half time. Today weā€™re losing by 30 at FAU.

Sigh.

Miss those days hard.

1 Like

Oh, I miss Picassoā€™s! That was our favorite place to go after home games. I remember someone being obsessed with the idea that Brendan was some sort of lush because of it. If you know Brendan, you would know how funny we found that! :smiley: :sweat_smile:

The stuffed mushrooms were my weakness.

2 Likes

It was nuts in person - not going to lie!

The cheerleader guy was something else. Poor Mitchell! lol He was just minded his own business.

Yā€™all are bringing up all sorts of memories.

Did you guys hang out at the University one, or the one over on East Blvd that got shut down years ago? I know several of the players like Withers used to hang out at the University one, but I always preferred East Blvd.

348s

Also, it was all about the pepperoni rolls. Those were the truth.

pepperoni-roll-was-a

2 Likes

Had a very similar experience at University Picassoā€™s for the IU game. Itā€™s one of those games you will never forget where you were!! Lots of hugging, high fives and beers that night!!

4 Likes

We always went to the university one. Is it still there?

There were rumors it was closing during Covid, but I believe itā€™s still open.

1 Like

11-26-03. 49ers @Syracuse.

I will do my best to transfer this to DVD and get it to you.

1 Like

Did you record over home videos??

Over the wedding.

#realfan

6 Likes

That would be great if you can! I donā€™t think I have that one anywhere in any form, believe it or not.

Wanted you to know that Brendan read through all of these messages and appreciates the stories and nostalgia! Hard to believe how long ago it all was. Man, weā€™re getting old.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to reminisce! :blush:

13 Likes

mrsplavich, did you two return to Dalton to live. Curious just because I worked there a while and live up 75 about 20 miles.

Yep! We are in Dalton (live in Tunnel Hill if we want to be specific). Are you in Chattanooga?