Only 50% of UNC Charlotte students Graduate

[URL]http://www.johnlocke.org/lockerroom/lockerroom.html?id=20533[/URL]

not good

This can be somewhat skewed since we have a number of transfer students and part-time students, but if I remember correctly our % of freshman that graduate in 4 years is absolutely abysmal.

No it isn’t, and it concerns me. It might have to do with the fact that academic support and advising is so poor.

How many of those schools below average have a football team??? Just saying, no one wants to stay at a school that doesn’t have a true college atmosphere. Campus life is terrible at Charlotte. Get Dubois out of there and get someone in there that understands.

I knew some students who “dropped out” because they thought Charlotte would be a cakewalk and ended up not being able to handle the course load. This was a very low number though.

And people wonder why spellin is so bad round hear

And people wonder why spellin is so bad round hear

qft

I’d like to see that lists also ranked by “acceptance standards/qualifications”…

I would def think that the lower the standard of students accepted… the lower the graduation rate would be.

Am I understanding this right? This % also considers transfers as not graduated from that school?

[QUOTE=NinerNation Inc.;414692]I knew some students who “dropped out” because they thought Charlotte would be a cakewalk and ended up not being able to handle the course load. This was a very low number though.[/QUOTE]

half of the guys on my freshman year floor failed out

it was quite a group of flunkies

The problem is we accept too many students, so the end result is not enough quality students, all in our attempt to be the biggest campus in the state.

It is a bad policy IMO.

I’ll be honest with you, I was shocked that some of my classmates at UNC Charlotte actually got into college.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;414698]
I’ll be honest with you, I was shocked that some of my classmates at UNC Charlotte actually got into college.[/QUOTE]

I had a roommate that was borderline retarded. By the time you get past sophomore year, most people are college level, but those first two years…

I had a roommate that was borderline retarded. By the time you get past sophomore year, most people are college level, but those first two years...

Yeah man, my freshman english class was brutal. It didn’t help that I was in the last class to get filled, so I already knew it would be a bunch of dopes…

The final paper was a group paper, no one wanted to get together to meet, so one guy said email them to him and he will put it together…he did so,without even changing the fonts or the spacing…we got Fs…I got a D in the class…my only D in my life.

It is not great for sure - but it is about average. The school needs to do an analysis of exactly why this is happening.

The problem is we accept too many students, so the end result is not enough quality students, all in our attempt to be the biggest campus in the state.

It is a bad policy IMO.

I’ll be honest with you, I was shocked that some of my classmates at UNC Charlotte actually got into college.

We have to have an aggressive growth plan. And like I’ve stated before, our standards ARE STILL GOING UP despite the rise in admissions. While I can’t provide any articles to back this up, I did spend a lot of time in admissions with the TGs, and this is what I’ve been told.

But I’ll agree with the theory that some students just can’t cut it. Charlotte is a tough school, especially in some programs. We’re comparable to ECU (54%) and Asheville (54%) as well.

This isn’t a big deal. We aren’t attracting all top level students, so we’ll lose some on the way to graduation.

I don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. If everybody graduated, it’s a sure sign that the curriculum is too easy. I don’t know what the magic percentage is. Would folks be alarmed about a 50% graduation rate at Harvard? Isn’t that school supposed to be difficult? I know that they are also supposed to have the smartest kids, but if everybody that got in graduated wouldn’t one assume that it’s really not that hard?

[QUOTE=X-49er;414706]I don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. If everybody graduated, it’s a sure sign that the curriculum is too easy. I don’t know what the magic percentage is. Would folks be alarmed about a 50% graduation rate at Harvard? Isn’t that school supposed to be difficult? I know that they are also supposed to have the smartest kids, but if everybody that got in graduated wouldn’t one assume that it’s really not that hard?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it has a much higher graduation rate. If you get in, you’re going to graduate.

i would say that you want kids to graduate because it means that the students that are being admitted are college level students. if no one is graduating then it means that we are letting in kids who shouldnt be in college.

i would say that you want kids to graduate because it means that the students that are being admitted are college level students. if no one is graduating then it means that we are letting in kids who shouldnt be in college.

And how do you determine that?

One of my suitemates freshman year was Salutatorian at his high school. After 2 semesters of videogames and sleeping through class, last I heard he was working at a Walmart in Lincolnton.

Where on the application does it determine whether or not you’ll succeed?

[QUOTE=X-49er;414706]I don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. If everybody graduated, it’s a sure sign that the curriculum is too easy. I don’t know what the magic percentage is. Would folks be alarmed about a 50% graduation rate at Harvard? Isn’t that school supposed to be difficult? I know that they are also supposed to have the smartest kids, but if everybody that got in graduated wouldn’t one assume that it’s really not that hard?[/QUOTE]

From what I’ve heard, getting accepted to Harvard is actually harder than attending Harvard. Of course, that comes from people that probably didn’t get accepted to Harvard.

I attended a small lunch meeting with Woodward during his last year as Chancellor. He was proud of the fact that we were attracting some high school valedictorians, but also said that he likes to accept some kids who may be borderline, using the theory that they might just need that one chance to prove they can succeed when others won’t give them the opportunity.

I’m not sure I agree with that, except maybe in a few cases. If we accept too many of those, we water down the student body as a whole, and end up with too many dropouts. Who benefits from that?

Anyone know Phil’s philosophy on this?