Opinions are like assholes

They generally stink:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=47&f=1029&t=9434984

What was said in that thread that isn’t true? It’s getting much better every year, we still sorely lack school pride. And living under an hour away from Greenville, and having spent wayy too much time in that God forsaken town, I can assure you the school spirit for the Pirates out here is off the charts. You literally cannot pass ten cars on the road without at least one of them having a Pirates sticker on it.
We are getting better though. Football is a huge part of the issue. The name change is the next.

Cliffs notes?

It’s just some Pirate fan ripping on Charlotte for not having school pride. He said he walked across campus and could barely find one person wearing Niners gear, but plenty wearing other schools’ gear. There was some slight exaggeration, but everything he said was pretty much true. Basically just a good case of “the truth hurts.”

But like I said, we are getting better every year. Football will help tremendously with this issue.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:2, topic:26983”]What was said in that thread that isn’t true? It’s getting much better every year, we still sorely lack school pride. And living under an hour away from Greenville, and having spent wayy too much time in that God forsaken town, I can assure you the school spirit for the Pirates out here is off the charts. You literally cannot pass ten cars on the road without at least one of them having a Pirates sticker on it.
We are getting better though. Football is a huge part of the issue. The name change is the next.[/quote]

If our university was sitting in BFE like ECU is you’d see much more community support for us as well. WTH else is there to do/support in Greenville?

One of the goals of football is to solve this problem. Have him walk across campus again in 5 years.

We had hundreds of people at a soccer game AT UNCG, don’t tell me we don’t have school spirit.

I just find it odd that someone from another school took time to come walk our campus. I wonder when he was here (weekend vs weekday) and exactly where he went and how much he saw? If the guy drove through campus on a weekend there’s not much to see. If he actually got out and walked around on a weekday that would be different.

I’m not a big fan of having Fridays off from classes. I think it encourages the bad habits that were already present for years, namely residents going home over the weekend. I’m also not a big fan of the semester system of class scheduling but that boat sailed decades ago. I hope the U reexamines its off Friday policy now that football is coming. I’d rather have had Mondays off when I was in school anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/quote]

Just saying if you’re going to do a 4 day schedule, then do Tuesday/Thursday, Wednesday/Friday and have Mondays off. It doesn’t encourage students to leave till after the football games on Saturday and frankly Mondays suck. Plus I think students are more likely to study on an off Monday than and off Friday, JMHO.

Having Fridays off was one of the best things about going to Charlotte. Thanks to that policy, I was able to work a full day on Friday instead of working late on weeknights. I’ve hard some professors talk about regularly scheduling classes on Fridays again but I really hope they don’t for the sake of future students.

Having Fridays off was one of the best things about going to Charlotte. Thanks to that policy, I was able to work a full day on Friday instead of working late on weeknights. I’ve hard some professors talk about regularly scheduling classes on Fridays again but I really hope they don’t for the sake of future students.[/quote]

I get that, but its not going to help the school if no one stays for the football games. Not saying that will happen, but given the weekend resident students’ historical track record, I’m not sure just having a football game/tailgating to go to on Saturdays will be enough to keep them on campus the whole weekend.

ECU is like Duke if you exchange football for basketball.
The lack of support in their other programs is likely what keeps them out of the Big East.

[quote=“Tintin, post:14, topic:26983”]ECU is like Duke if you exchange football for basketball.
The lack of support in their other programs is likely what keeps them out of the Big East.[/quote]I wouldn’t say they have a lack of support.

Their bball attendance isn’t great, but they do better than several A10 schools that have had better on the court results than they have.

They have tremendous support for baseball.

Market and poor on the court performance were probably the two biggest factors. I’m sure the basketball only schools would only tolerate so much basketball suck entering the conference at one time.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:9, topic:26983”]I just find it odd that someone from another school took time to come walk our campus. I wonder when he was here (weekend vs weekday) and exactly where he went and how much he saw? If the guy drove through campus on a weekend there’s not much to see. If he actually got out and walked around on a weekday that would be different.

I’m not a big fan of having Fridays off from classes. I think it encourages the bad habits that were already present for years, namely residents going home over the weekend. I’m also not a big fan of the semester system of class scheduling but that boat sailed decades ago. I hope the U reexamines its off Friday policy now that football is coming. I’d rather have had Mondays off when I was in school anyway.[/quote]

There is not really a “off Friday policy” anyway. My daughter has a 3-hour class on Fridays.

[quote=“919R, post:16, topic:26983”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:9, topic:26983”]I just find it odd that someone from another school took time to come walk our campus. I wonder when he was here (weekend vs weekday) and exactly where he went and how much he saw? If the guy drove through campus on a weekend there’s not much to see. If he actually got out and walked around on a weekday that would be different.

I’m not a big fan of having Fridays off from classes. I think it encourages the bad habits that were already present for years, namely residents going home over the weekend. I’m also not a big fan of the semester system of class scheduling but that boat sailed decades ago. I hope the U reexamines its off Friday policy now that football is coming. I’d rather have had Mondays off when I was in school anyway.[/quote]

There is not really a “off Friday policy” anyway. My daughter has a 3-hour class on Fridays.[/quote]

I know some Freshmen (since we’re also in the UNC System, does that mean we can’t call them “freshmen” anymore too since all mighyty Chapel Hill says that’s a sexist word?) courses are still Monday/Wednesday/Friday; but for the most part there are no Friday classes at the 2000 level or above. Supposedly they wanted to use Fridays as lab days, but that’s not the general policy in the Lee School at least.

Architecture school doesn’t really abide by the “no Friday” classes, but that’s because Studio makes you have a block scheduling.

Someone who actually read my post.

You are correct Sir. Friday is a lab day. There are very few Friday classes, and they are the general ed 1100 courses.

I’m all in favor of making Monday the new Friday. I believe it would help keep students on campus for games. At least some students. But the biggest reason for students leaving is the lack of local nightlife. More students would stay if we had things like Cumberland Ave at UT, or dare I say E Franklin St at UNC Raleigh West. A private property “fraternity row” would be amazing as well but we’ve already screwed that one up. People just don’t party as much here because they have to drive everywhere, and there are only about 3 roads to use that all serve as excellent DUI checkpoints.

There are several places that are walking distance to the University honestly. They just feel further away than they are. Add in that everyone has cars and every bar has ample parking and it removes the need to walk.

The University area really needs a nightclub kind of place though. There hasn’t been one since Daisy Dukes / SoHo East went out of business. Since then, everyone just started going out Uptown.

I’ve always been amazed that nothing took over that spot. That place didn’t go out of business because it was doing poorly, it went out of business because their liquor license was revoked.