OT:Charlotte bigger than Chapel Hill

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo…ks/11730653.htm

"UNC Charlotte campus – which Smith expects to be larger than UNC Chapel Hill "

Very interesting stance…

Actually, that’s nothing new. Eventually, UNC Charlotte should surpass NC State as well to become the largest university in the state. Right now, I’d just like to pass ECU to take the #3 slot! :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont see Charlotte becoming bigger than NCSU. NCSU’s secondary centennial campus is larger (acres) than the entire UNC Charlotte campus.

UNC Chapel Hill is working on “Carolina North” which is another campus on the outside of town as well.

If you look at the numbers we actually have more folks on campus than ECU since they have a very popular remote/internet program.

No matter how far out the idea, people take Smith seriously. The CEO of Concord-based Speedway Motorsports Inc. is No. 413 on Forbes magazine’s list of billionaires, with total holdings of $1.6 billion. His company owns six racetracks, and he also heads Sonic Automotive, a Fortune 500 company and one of the nation’s largest auto dealerships.

Good to have Bruton on our side. Uptown Charlotte to University to Concord will become one big city eventually. For better or for worse.

I based my earlier comment on having worked at UNCC for a number of years prior to heading uptown to work in the non-profit sector. The reality is that UNCC will eventually surpass to the top 3 of NC State, UNC-CH, and ECU to become the largest university in the Old North State. That won’t happen overnight, but it will happen.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@May 25 2005, 10:33 AM [b] I based my earlier comment on having worked at UNCC for a number of years prior to heading uptown to work in the non-profit sector. The reality is that UNCC will eventually surpass to the top 3 of NC State, UNC-CH, and ECU to become the largest university in the Old North State. That won't happen overnight, but it will happen. [/b]
I hope you're right, but the legislature and the unc board of directors will NEVER allow it to happen.
[i]Originally posted by 49er1+May 25 2005, 12:28 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49er1 @ May 25 2005, 12:28 PM)

I’ll take being the LARGEST School in this state. Hopefully administrators are starting to look at purchasing land South of Charlotte, also at some point to expand the school. Put both the Northern Campus and Southern Campus right on the light rail line.

[i]Originally posted by run49er+May 25 2005, 12:31 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ May 25 2005, 12:31 PM)
Originally posted by 49er1@May 25 2005, 12:28 PM [b]

Vb, they’ve just announced a new site/building for their uptown location, so that’s where their focus on sattelite campuses is for now.

UNC Charlotte announces expanded uptown presence

Speaking of uptown, anybody looking at condos. I’m liking the proposed “Avenue” on Church St but don’t really know much about the uptown market. Seems like the place to be as most publicly funded projects(arts, education, entertainment) will be located in the center city.

Ah, the Simpsons:

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there’s nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What’d I say?
Ned Flanders: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What’s it called?
Patty+Selma: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: That’s right! Monorail!
[crowd chants `Monorail’ softly and rhythmically]
Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud…
Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.
Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
Lyle Lanley: You’ll be given cushy jobs.
Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I’m on the level.
Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it’s Springfield’s only choice…
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
All: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What’s it called?
Lyle Lanley: Once again…
Marge: But Main Street’s still all cracked and broken…
Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
Monorail!
Monorail!
[big finish]
Monorail!
Homer: Mono… D’oh!

clt has a few thoughts on this subject:

charlotte should already be the largest in the state but that is another post. charlotte will grow to be larger than unc-ch and unc-r and unc-gr within 10 years. write that down folks.

the monorail will happen after charlotte football.

clt wonders why dubois doesnt ask bruton how nice bruton smith stadium would sound?

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@May 25 2005, 04:35 PM [b]

clt wonders why dubois doesnt ask bruton how nice bruton smith stadium would sound? [/b]

austin says clt has said it right there.

Bruton already has a stadium he could let us use, and while Tennessee and Michigan battle for who has the biggest place we could hold both of their crowds in ours. Football Saturdays with RV parking in the infield, bring your own cooler of beer in with you, Norm doing burnouts after each touchdown, I am starting to like this. Someone place a call.

If we’re seeking the real money in Charlotte, then we need to be courting C.D. Spangler Jr., 97th on the Forbes 400 list. That equates to $2.2 billion.

[i]Originally posted by ApexNiner[/i]@May 25 2005, 10:19 AM [b] I dont see Charlotte becoming bigger than NCSU. NCSU's secondary centennial campus is larger (acres) than the entire UNC Charlotte campus.

[/b]

Centennial campus is mostly other stuff than academic classrooms. While engineering and textiles have moved there for the most part, there is going to be a golf course and a lot of the real estate is used for research and private indusrty partnerships. I don’t know that UNC-R is going to add much more academic space. I don’t know the numbers thoiugh so you could be right.

The Smith-Spangler 49’er Football Stadium
Hmmmmm. Get busy boys and git somma dem benjamins for dat and some to start up da program. It’s easy as 1-2-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[b] Centennial campus is mostly other stuff than academic classrooms.[/b]
True, however UNC Charlotte is trying the same concept in a smaller scale all on the one campus ~1000 acres. Dont forget the ever growing Veterinary campus near the fairgrounds. I think in total NCSU has 2000+ acres not including their research farms.

The Charlotte campus is one of the largest at just under 1000 acres.The good thing is that of that 1000 only about 250 have been developed(buildings). 75% of our campus is available for future construction. Having that much land to build on is rare in this university system.