OT: If we could get a new Mens Bball Coach who?

I do have one concern about Bobby. He said in his Live session that each season he tries to schedule the best possible schedule available. However, our schedule is not showing the ā€œbest possibility.ā€ Take a look at our Strength of Schedule:

Charlotte, 6-2, RPI 174, SOS 264 (yesterday: RPI 171, SOS 262)

262 out of about 320-330. I think with the program we have, we should be able to have a schedule strength of nothing higher than 175. I do realize that this is based on the performance of our opponents but we need to schedule opponents who have success year in and year out. For instance look at Indyā€™s SOS - 50. They have a VERY strong schedule. I just hope Bobby really IS trying each season to get the very best schedule he can get.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante+Dec 21 2004, 02:39 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SilvioDante @ Dec 21 2004, 02:39 PM)
[i]Originally posted by JNinerGreen[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 03:30 PM [b] I do have one concern about Bobby. He said in his Live session that each season he tries to schedule the best possible schedule available. However, our schedule is not showing the "best possibility." Take a look at our Strength of Schedule:

Charlotte, 6-2, RPI 174, SOS 264 (yesterday: RPI 171, SOS 262)

262 out of about 320-330. I think with the program we have, we should be able to have a schedule strength of nothing higher than 175. I do realize that this is based on the performance of our opponents but we need to schedule opponents who have success year in and year out. For instance look at Indyā€™s SOS - 50. They have a VERY strong schedule. I just hope Bobby really IS trying each season to get the very best schedule he can get. [/b]

I agree that our strength of schedule has been a big let down but I am not sure any of us predicted some of the teams we have played to perform so poorly OVERALL. I still think about the chance we had to play Arizona has a huge oppourtunity that fell through. I tend to be alittle more sympathetic to Bobby on the scheduling and realize that it is tough to get teams to plays us and even tougher to get them to come to Halton. Does anyone really think Alabama will want to come back and play here again? Of course we know that NONE of the ACC will come here. Yet Duke was willing to play UNCG. I donā€™t get that one. State doesnā€™t want to play us again after we beat them in Raleigh. Skip from Wake Forest has stated that he will never play us because he seeā€™s nothing to gain from it. I donā€™t know the deal with UNC. I would like to see us try and go after some SEC teams and work some other angles.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 02:35 PM [b] Click on the link for an interesting [url=http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Statistics/Games/19871219UNC-Charlotte.html]Box Score.[/url] [/b]
Dinkins got called for a ridiculous call in "Rape Arena" during that contest. I don't believe they've ever lost in their own tourney.

I will speak on Lee Roseā€™s behalf since most posters here were not around then and I knew him well by working as a student assistant in the athletic department. His only drawback, he did not like traveling to recruit high school players. He hated the travel doing it. Rose was a brilliant game coach who could come up with some great game plans. He was able to switch strategies in the middle of a game as well as anyone. Keep in mind, in those days, you perhaps had at most two TV game tapes of an opponent and one in person scouting visit, which canā€™t be done now. I remember the 49ers hosting Baptist College (now Charleston Southern) a few days before they were to play Wake Forest. He found out that Wake had a coach scouting the game and since it was going to be an obvious mismatch, he completely threw out the game plan and ran other plays so they wouldnā€™t see everything. And that was one great game in Greensboro against the Deacons. About 2 weeks after the Final Four he asked me to set up the projector and I had the opportunity to view the game film (yes, games were shot on 16mm film then) of the Marquette game with him. We watched the final play over and over perhaps 10 times without discussing it and then he calmly said, ā€œIt was offensive goaltending.ā€ To my knowledge, Rose never looked at that film again. Rose was a class act and always treated me with plenty of respect the two years I was around him. Iā€™ve seen him perhaps 15 times over the last 25 years and heā€™s been the same gentleman that he was when I first met him in November, 1975.

As for Bill Foster, he was a coach who could spot sleeper players and guys with a lot of potential. The ones who played under him and Rose said he was a mad man, always out of control. The story was that the assistant coaches could never be recruiting or scouting on game nights because they had to keep Foaster calmed down on the bench. (In those days it was not unusual for one assistant to be away from the team.) I think he had a keen eye for talent and Rose put the puzzle together in his three seasons. There likely would never have been an NIT trip in 1976 had Rose and John Kilgo not lobbied (with Adolph Ruppā€™s help) in New York for the 49ers to be included. But that is another story in itself.

Sorry for the lengthiness of the post.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 02:00 PM [b] The freedom of our game plans is very attractive to recruits, and key to Bobby's success in getting winners here. But it's a double-edged sword that winds up in our gut when it matters most far too often. [/b]
Folks, keep in mind, while we're landing a lot of talented players, we're still missing out on A LOT. Give Bobby his first couple of choices at each position and see what happens. Best examples are Chris Paul and Jarret Jack (we recruited both and were close to landing Jack). Add one of those to last year or this year's teams and WE WOULD BE on the NEXT LEVEL.

Hey HPā€¦

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Dec 21 2004, 02:36 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Dec 21 2004, 02:36 PM)

Lutz should be our coach, even with his flaws, for at least a few more years. Only other option is to turn into Xavier and hire the hottest mid-major coach who will turn around and leave our program when the first big opportunity opens up.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 03:51 PM [b] Hey HP... [img]http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cliffnotes.jpg[/img] [/b]
I get your message TF, but figured you needed to read it from me since you've heard it from your father already. :P

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 04:11 PM [b] Dinkins got called for a ridiculous call in "Rape Arena" during that contest. I don't believe they've ever lost in their own tourney. [/b]
Was that the call when Byron was obviously knocked out of bounds and they gave the ball (and the game) to KY?

I wonā€™t say he was shoved but it was clearly not his fault.

Iā€™m not a fan of Bobbyā€™s style, although he has been a great recruiter. But Iā€™ve gotta believe that he gets his kids to buy into the undisciplined system which resembles streetball in order to land them.

I guess what Iā€™m getting at is that his style wonā€™t get us to the next level though we are getting some really good talent. However, if he changes his style, the talent level will most likely change as well.

Trust me, I think Bobby is a great person and itā€™s great that heā€™s an alum, but I think Bobby is also the best we can get for now, so thereā€™s nothing else to say because heā€™s not going anywhere.

It could be worse, just check out the IU board, every thread is a Mike Davis replacement threadā€¦

or hire bobby back and fire the person that fired him

Or the Metro-approved version: Fire the person that hired Lutz.

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft+Dec 21 2004, 04:19 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MeinShaft @ Dec 21 2004, 04:19 PM)

I think some of you donā€™t understand that we cannot fire Lutz because he is under contract and we canā€™t afford a buy out nor can we afford to pay him and another coach. We had to turn over every rock to come up with the money for his current contract so he is here until his contract is over, unless he quits.

Could we do better than him? Of course but it would be a stepping stone position because we could not compete with the major programs that would come calling after a couple years of success. Some schools just deal with the revolving door and keep finding new coaches but it makes recruiting tough.

Lutz seems committed to the program and if that is what we are looking for, then he is probably the best we can do. I think he is a vastly underrated recruiter and a very overrated coach.

PI, I couldnt agree with your post more. I do love the fact that Lutz is committed to our program and is an alum. He does a great job of evaluating and bringing in talent, too.

BUT, I think thats what makes this so frustrating. We dont utilize our talent well. What we need is a tactition, a ā€˜game coachā€™ as our top assistant. Xā€™s and Oā€™s guy, sorta like the former Ohio U coach that was brought in to give Sendek at State some kind of offensive scheme. Before, they used to look lost, and now they have a system. Is this possible for us? Thoughts?

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 07:26 PM [b] BUT, I think thats what makes this so frustrating. We dont utilize our talent well. What we need is a tactition, a 'game coach' as our top assistant. X's and O's guy, sorta like the former Ohio U coach that was brought in to give Sendek at State some kind of offensive scheme. Before, they used to look lost, and now they have a system. Is this possible for us? Thoughts? [/b]
Like I said before, we do have talent but we're still missing the guys to put us over the top. Would you rather have Jarret Jack running our point. Lutz wanted him badly. With Jack, we are undefeated and pull out games down the stretch.

And as far as NC State system, youā€™ve got to be kidding me. That may win some games but will first of all never attract the best players and second of all will never get them to the elite status.

And to say Lutz isnā€™t an X and O guy. Talk with him. You canā€™t just watch 15 games per year and make an accurate judgement.

People, we donā€™t have the resources or the prestige other programs do. If we ever do and still are still not advancing in the tournament, then you might have a gripe.

[b]Like I said before, we do have talent but we're still missing the guys to put us over the top. Would you rather have Jarret Jack running our point. Lutz wanted him badly. With Jack, we are undefeated and pull out games down the stretch. [/b]

Yeah, and with Jason Kidd and Kobe Bryant in the backcourt we could maybe make the Final Four :rolleyes: Look, we HAVE plentyā€¦probably the most talent weā€™ve had in YEARS here. Do we have an NBA talent at every position here? Of course not, and we never will. Weā€™re Charlotte, weā€™re never gonna have Dukeā€™s talent pool of 8-10 Mickey Dā€™s AAā€™s, we have to get the most out of what we got.

[b]And as far as NC State system, you've got to be kidding me.[/b]

No, Iā€™m not. Have you ever seen them play? They run a Princeton style offense that may bore you, but gets them plenty of quality shots. What kind of offense do we run, other than a double pick to the baseline and fire off an off balanced 3? Oh, and a pick and roll every now and then.

[b]That may win some games [/b]

Yeah, thats the point, right?

[b]but will first of all never attract the best players[/b]

Iā€™ve got disheartening news for the both of us. Their best player this year, so far, has been better than anyone we have and is a legit All Am candidate :frowning: Regardless, winning will get you recruits over style.

[b]and second of all will never get them to the elite status. [/b]

But our style will? Or has? Again, what exactly IS ā€˜our styleā€™? Bad perimeter defense? Bad shot selection due to too much offensive freelancing (streetball)?Confusing our own players with a myriad of ineffective junk defenses? These have been consistent themes of our team since the Galen/Kelvin team.

[b]And to say Lutz isn't an X and O guy. Talk with him. [/b]

I have. More than a few times. Heā€™s a great guy. Next.

[b]You can't just watch 15 games per year and make an accurate judgement. [/b]

Actually, I think watching his teams 15 X per year since he got here better qualifies me on commenting on his Xā€™s and Oā€™s ability more than speaking to him about it. But, thats my opinion.

[b]People, we don't have the resources or the prestige other programs do. If we ever do and still are still not advancing in the tournament, then you might have a gripe. [/b]

I agree with this. I never said we did. But, just pointing out what I think are Lutzā€™ positives and negatives and how we could get better. What in the world was I thinking? :ph34r:

we just need a good offensive coordinator and a good defensive coordinator B)

Bobby Lutz is an incredible assistant coach, but only a good head coach. He does the things well that an assistant does, but takes some traits of an assistant to the head position, which is not good. An example of that is playing favorites too often.

The major downfall our program has in recruiting, and I think we do an excellent job as it is, is the fact that we are not on TV enough. That is the bottom line. You go to an ACC school you are on TV locally all the time, nationally a good amount. Your team has an easy chance of being ranked, regardless if they deserve it or not, which results in ESPN highlights.

As for the system he runs, if he could coach defense our system would be tremendous. It creates a ton of good shots in fast break and secondary break situations, but you need to play defense to be able to use it. He for some reason seems to not be able to teach good solid disciplined defense, so in order to make the offense work we need to fool teams with trick defenses or do alot of trapping to force turnovers to get us running. Half-court games are not our thing. I was at the Rutgers game and in the 1st half we looked like world beaters, the 2nd half we looked like a lost team. That was because Rutgers adjusted, Lutz waited too long to come out of the trapping defense and we missed a ton of foul shots.

We are 5 free throws from being 8-0 and nationally ranked. As much as the style of play may bother you we are good. The two things we struggle with are free throw shooting and defense, the 2 things from allowing teams to stay around late in the 2nd half. If we just got the free throws down I would be a happy guy.