OT: NC State fans cry with unrest after blowout loss to Texas

Many people bash our fan base about being apathetic and unreasonable… I believe NC State may have the stupidest fan base on the planet.

The Wolfpecker fans actually want to fire Herb Sendek.

Here is a statement from statefansnation.com

“f there was a similar “situation” to that of Herb Sendek and NC State, it had to be the case of Mike Davis and Indiana. Against a backdrop of student and alumni protest, Mike Davis announced his resignation midway through the Big Ten season. He did so in an effort to take the enormous pressure off his players’ shoulders. And his attitude after the last horn sounded, [URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=264000010]was remarkably gracious[/URL]: “My first thought was, I was just proud of the boys,” Davis said. “Don’t be sad for me. [I][B]You should be happy for me because I had a great opportunity to coach one of the greatest schools in college basketball[/B][/I].”
Imagine that - a coach who understands that pressure comes with a major coaching job like that - a job that hundreds of other coaches would kill for. A man who sounds [I][B]thankful for the chance[/B][/I], rather than bitter and whiny. Kudos to Mike Davis, whose attitude should land him back on his feet quickly.”

Are you kidding me! This guy thinks NC State is comparable to Indiana?!? That Herb Sendek is in a similar situation to that of Mike Davis!?

The worst thing is that many NC State fans think that 5 straight NCAA tourney trips, including a trip to the Sweet 16 last year, is not good enough. Wow.

I’ve noticed for quite a few years now that State fans are very similar to Memphis fans (no offense fsquid).

They had a few good years over 20 years ago and think they are still one of college basketball’s elite.

Hell…I’d take Herb down here…

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;163182]I’ve noticed for quite a few years now that State fans are very similar to Memphis fans (no offense fsquid).

They had a few good years over 20 years ago and think they are still one of college basketball’s elite.[/QUOTE]

The only fans more unrealistic than Niner fans are Wolfpack fans. They think they should be right up there with Duke and Carolina. They don’t seem to get that Duke, Carolina and UConn are the list. Everyone else is just trying to get in the discussion. You have a next tier of Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St. and Arizona, but even they are a notch below. Herb has made State a top 25 program again who will make the tourney every year, yet they want him gone because he has a terrible record against K and Roy. News flash, everyone has a terrible record against K and Roy. Who do they think they can bring in who will that them to the promise land??? I don’t see a coach out there that can do it. I thought they were a football school now anyway… Now there is a coach they need to get rid of…

Yeah. He may have a boring system, but at least I understand what his team is trying to do, and it usually makes sense.

Sigh.

You could say the NC State fans are crying wolf…

[QUOTE=Savio;163183]Hell…I’d take Herb down here…[/QUOTE]

not me, id much rather have lutz.

[QUOTE=finalfourtyniners;163187]not me, id much rather have lutz.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Herb’s team was just brutal to watch, yet again. You think our offense is stagnant? I wouldnt even wanna read this board after a Herb coached game. Every gripe I’ve heard for Lutz goes double for Herbie.

you should listen to the packman show i have heard twice now someone call in and say that state could get Jim Calhoun so they could compete with Duke and UNC-CH. They are out of touch, Herb is probably in the top 10% of coaches in the nation based off of record, and NCAA apperances

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;163182]They had a few good years over 20 years ago and think they are still one of college basketball’s elite.[/QUOTE]

We went to the Final Four 29 years ago and sometimes I STILL think we’re some kinda special. Boy, am I an IDIOT!!

I agree that their expectations are unrealistic, but I kind of see where they are coming from. Herb has produced a few NCAA wins, which is more than we can say for Lutz, but I still wouldn’t want him as our coach.

Evidently Coach K likes Herb…

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/special_packages/marchmania/14148059.htm]Duke coach defends beleaguered Pack coach[/URL]

[QUOTE]“He’s really one of the terrific coaches in our country,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s a proven winner. It makes me appreciate what we have at Duke with the support we’ve had.”[/QUOTE]

What I don’t get about most State fans (not all, but the majority) want Herb gone because he loses to Duke and Chapel Hill (which he is supposed to) but has been very successful otherwise. However, their football team underachieves every year and also can’t beat Chapel Hill (which it should) but they still love Chuck.

Sendeck put State back on the bball map and if they get rid of him they’ll fall right back off. Who would want to replace him??

[QUOTE=forDniner;163206]Who would want to replace him??[/QUOTE]

:lmao: Not going to go there…

Actually Chuck’s seat is now getting warm in Raleigh… he was boo’ed last year in Carter-Finley when they showed in on the jumbotron.

I can see both sides of the story with Herb. He has done solid above average work, but I dont think its too much to ask to be more competitive with your rivals and win a few. He got destroyed by the Heels in the RBC this season and that unacceptable. Herb has done everything right, but most fans believe he has plateaued.

Just like here…you get some people who think Lutz has done a great job,getting to the dance every other year or so,and others who feel like we’ve slid backward and should be there every year,and maybe win a game there once in a while.That’s what keeps the message boards humming.

[QUOTE=ninerID;163193]you should listen to the packman show i have heard twice now someone call in and say that state could get Jim Calhoun…[/QUOTE]

Their fans also think that Pitino, Smith, Boeheim, and Calipari would love to jump ship to coach the Pack. I can see Calipari, but that would put a screeching halt to the “reputable” program they have been trying to build.

What kind of fantasy world are they living in?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;163223]What kind of fantasy world are they living in?[/QUOTE]

Same one we left once we figured out Iti sucked.

The worst thing is that many NC State fans think that 5 straight NCAA tourney trips, including a trip to the Sweet 16 last year, is not good enough. Wow.

It’s because they continue to set the barometer at beating/competing with UNC and Duke. Something they will NEVER be able to do. As I’ve said before, the hardcore Wolfpack fans herald Jimmy V but slam Herb. I think Herb’s record against UNC/Duke is only off by one game compared to Jimmy’s record against those two programs. The biggest difference is the National Championship and ACC Tournament titles. But I don’t think you’d hear Wolfpack fans complain about Herb if he were able to split with the Holes and Devils each season.

Herb’s style of play will put you to sleep but it wins games. Had they just shot better, they could have knocked off Texas and found themselves with back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances. I think most of us would love to have that success but apparently it’s not good enough for the fans in red as long as UNC/Duke continue to smack them around.

That whole situation there sounds really familiar but at least they’re getting at-large bids every year and winning a first round game or two. Their late season slide really killed their seeding or they could arguably, still be alive to play this week.

if they hadn’t shot 70% in second half against Cal compared to their 30%, they wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be crushed by Texas. They regressed, peaked too early