OT: Parrish on Iti

Sportsline’s Gary Parrish gives his 2 cents on transfers eligible for 2006-07…

[b]5. Martin Iti (New Mexico State):[/b] I'd be more optimistic if this was the 7-foot version of Iti who was supposed to, out of Mt. Zion Academy, lead Charlotte to every title in the history of basketball. Instead, it's the version of Iti that measured 6-8 in socks at the NBA pre-draft camp and was completely average for the 49ers through two seasons.

Still, NMSU lists Iti at 7-feet, just like Charlotte did. I’m only hoping Aggie fans aren’t similarly delusional about what to expect.

Link: Sportsline.com

BTW, in the same piece, he states that Xavier’s Drew Lavender will lead the Muskateers to the regular season A-10 title.

Iti was unhappy about not being focal point of offense here. He won’t get any touches at NMSU. Talk about team of misfits.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;187153]Iti was unhappy about not being focal point of offense here. [/QUOTE]

Thankfully, he is gone.

I was more deserving to be the focal point of the offense.

[QUOTE]Said Iti, a 7-foot junior center who declared for the NBA draft following his freshman season before returning to help lead UNC Charlotte to the NCAA Tournament in 2005: “We definitely have a lot of skill, but it’s going to come down to whether or not we play together. One of the best things about coach Theus is that he always has us working toward some specific goal. He makes sure they are high goals, that we strive to go as far as possible.”[/QUOTE]
LEADER my ass!

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2568628&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines][B]Reggie Theus has NMSU headed in right direction[/B][/URL], ESPN.com

[QUOTE=HP49er;187162]LEADER my ass!

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2568628&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines][B]Reggie Theus has NMSU headed in right direction[/B][/URL], ESPN.com[/QUOTE]

HP, it’s all in how ya spin it and how many are willing to buy it (apparently ESPN.com does!). Iti and NMSU (and, admittedly, even the Niners) lied about his height and the Aggies are playing him up as the “savior” of Charlotte’s 04-05 season. Geez…

As I recall, Iti rode the bench down the stretch in both NCAA runs. He was simply too slow and lost on the court half the time.

[QUOTE=max;187171]As I recall, Iti rode the bench down the stretch in both NCAA runs. He was simply too slow and lost on the court half the time.[/QUOTE]
And he cannot finish a dunk even when he gets a chance! He’s more concerned about hanging on the rim and pulling himself up for emphasis. Glad he’s gone.

I thought there might be hope for Iti after watching him in Halton during the SMiss game, Eddie’s last home game. He showed signs during that game but, alas, he still sucks.

BTW, does NMState have a message board?

[QUOTE=VA49er;187201]BTW, does NMState have a message board?[/QUOTE]
NMSU Message Board

BTW, the Aggies have been on a Canadian tour as well. Looks like Iti has been coming off the bench (started 1 out of 4 games).

NMSU Aggies Men’s Basketball

I thought Iti’s inside presence was very helpful on the defensive end. He definetly disrupted driving guards and some lessor skilled inside players. But he was utter garbage on the offensive end. I’ve never seen a player that missed more dunks. If he had the right attitude he could have been a great team player, but if he wants touches or thinks he can dominate the game I think he’s on crack. I dont expect him to do much.

[QUOTE=4t9er;187224]I thought Iti’s inside presence was very helpful on the defensive end. He definetly disrupted driving guards and some lessor skilled inside players. But he was utter garbage on the offensive end. I’ve never seen a player that missed more dunks. If he had the right attitude he could have been a great team player, but if he wants touches or thinks he can dominate the game I think he’s on crack. I dont expect him to do much.[/QUOTE]
Quoted for truth. When I think of Iti I think of that attempted dunk at Davidson where he almost broke his forearm slamming the ball into the front of the rim.

HP, it's all in how ya spin it and how many are willing to buy it (apparently ESPN.com does!). Iti and NMSU (and, admittedly, even the Niners) lied about his height and the Aggies are playing him up as the "savior" of Charlotte's 04-05 season. Geez...

if i remember correctly he had two great games that season. one against alabama where he had 18 points and no fouls and 1 against southern miss when he got 3 blocks on one guy and finished the game with 5 blocks. the rest of the season he was absolutely horrid.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;187226]Quoted for truth. When I think of Iti I think of that attempted dunk at Davidson where he almost broke his forearm slamming the ball into the front of the rim.[/QUOTE]

My lasting memories are his pathetic dunk attempts in the CUSA tourney vs uab. If he had made them it could have been a different game…or maybe not, but it seemed like those failures ruined our momentum and chemistry.

One of the posts from their board concerning a recent Iti outing…

[QUOTE]ITI had 3 quick fouls in the first half. It was funny you could hear Reggie Yelling at the ref telling him “we have come along way and would like to get our guys some time. Three fouls in the first half is **$&#.” or something like that. [/QUOTE]

Ah, the memories.

FWIW…

The last box score has Iti with 11pts (5-7 FG), 8 Rebs and 3 Blocks in only 14 min.
2 Games ago: with 12pts (6-8 FG), 6 Rebs in 17min

Not bad production.

I think he could have been worked with if he was more permitted to have an open ear. That hook shot Alton Lister taught him was dreadful. The guy had a gigantic wingspan but was using a flip hook where he really didn’t have a good look at the rim and was releasing the ball too low.

He’d be entering his senior season here if he stayed, and if he wasn’t influenced by Courtney Rosecrap he probably would have averaged a low double double.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;187256]I think he could have been worked with if he was more permitted to have an open ear. That hook shot Alton Lister taught him was dreadful. The guy had a gigantic wingspan but was using a flip hook where he really didn’t have a good look at the rim and was releasing the ball too low.[/QUOTE]
Remember that scouting report that said Iti had a “devastating” hook shot? Yeah… devastating for the backboard.

Offensively he was 100% a nightmare. I wanted very, very badly to like him but I cringed every time he came in the game. It was tough.

Offensively he was 100% a nightmare. I wanted very, very badly to like him but I cringed every time he came in the game. It was tough.

I said the same thing about Butter Johnson…go figure

[QUOTE=KTown49er;187251]FWIW…

The last box score has Iti with 11pts (5-7 FG), 8 Rebs and 3 Blocks in only 14 min.
2 Games ago: with 12pts (6-8 FG), 6 Rebs in 17min

Not bad production.[/QUOTE]

Well, he’s doing that against Canadian teams that are probably the equivalent of DII or DIII in the U.S. Now, if he can put up those kind of numbers versus Nick Fazekas, then I will be impressed.

[QUOTE=run49er;187261]Well, he’s doing that against Canadian teams that are probably the equivalent of DII or DIII in the U.S. Now, if he can put up those kind of numbers versus Nick Fazekas, then I will be impressed.[/QUOTE]

i was going to make the same comment. he has the potential to shine against lesser (and shorter) competition if all he has to do is stand down low and make UNCONTESTED dunks. not to mention grabbing a few more rebounds.

then again. he has also had an extra year to work on his game and will now be playing against some players 3 years younger than him. so he may be a little more productive this year. more productive maybe. superstar no.

we could have used him last year against wake when all of our big men were not allowed to play.