OT: Parrish on Iti

[URL=http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1900&ATCLID=208984]http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1900&ATCLID=208984[/URL]

Iti apparently grew 3.5" since his NBA tryouts.

He must have shrunk during the week of tryouts since he was never listed below 7 feet while he was here either.

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2e8b57][QUOTE]#32 in your program, #2 in your toilet[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Century Gothic]absolutely classic[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

It is easy to take shots at him, but he was here 2 years and we made 2 NCAA tournaments with him as a starter.

I have been following 49er ball for many many years, and I tell you the two teams he played on were about as good as any teams we have ever had. I guess, Plav and Cam have had similar stats, and Eddie had what 3/4 years on NCAA tournament teams, but we played him and we won. No matter what you guys say, I would of liked to see Withers play last year with Iti at center.

If you heard Coach after the Wyoming game last year, you would of heard it also, the difference Iti made for Withers. Similar to the way Lang played when he had the center from Raleigh playing with him, the guy who made it to the last cut with the NBA Wizards.

By the way I think Jones can be every bit as good as Iti, he could also have a great career with us. He looks like he can contribute like Iti, but much more athletic.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;196185] No matter what you guys say, I would of liked to see Withers play last year with Iti at center.
[/QUOTE]

Most of us on the board would have rather had Iti stay here. Iti made the choice to leave because he or his handlers believed his ability was much better than reality. Thatā€™s what has most of the board disgruntled at him, not the fact that we could not have used him last year or this year. He had some classic Gong Show-esque moments with many a bricked dunk, but he began to keep opposing guards from coming in the middle and he, as you said, helped Curtis out on the boards and in keeping the opposing centers from guarding Curtis. He would be a senior this year, and it sure would be nice to have him for Big Phil to learn from and get better in practice. If Iti kept improving as he was near the end of his sophomore year, I donā€™t think an 8-8 average from Iti this season would have been out of the question. With the shooters we have now, that would have been just fine.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;196185] By the way I think Jones can be every bit as good as Iti, he could also have a great career with us. He looks like he can contribute like Iti, but much more athletic.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is the opposite. Iti was athletic and is more athletic than big Phil. Iti had great ā€œupsā€. The thing that Phil gives us that Iti didnā€™t is a more complete player that has offensive skills. He will not be the shot blocker that Iti was but will be a better rebounder and a better offensive player.

[QUOTE=Cornbread;196208]Actually it is the opposite. Iti was athletic and is more athletic than big Phil. Iti had great ā€œupsā€. The thing that Phil gives us that Iti didnā€™t is a more complete player that has offensive skills. He will not be the shot blocker that Iti was but will be a better rebounder and a better offensive player.[/QUOTE]
Iā€™m all for Big Phil, but we must remember that Phil hasnā€™t hit the floor yet and we thought Iti had potentials that he didnā€™t live up to in a Ninersā€™ jersey. We canā€™t compare him to what Phil is supposed to be or we may get caught in a similar situation.

Another NMSU article:

[URL=http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=ArQYQK93W1Xf84fkLTCG2_HevbYF?slug=ap-newmexicostate-reggiesreloadedaggies&prov=ap&type=lgns][B][U][COLOR=DarkRed]Yahoo Sports: Theus and Transfers, a Potentially Salty Combination at New Mexico State[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=Cornbread;196208]Actually it is the opposite. Iti was athletic and is more athletic than big Phil. Iti had great ā€œupsā€. The thing that Phil gives us that Iti didnā€™t is a more complete player that has offensive skills. He will not be the shot blocker that Iti was but will be a better rebounder and a better offensive player.[/QUOTE]

Itiā€™s knees were and still are a problem. He was actually more athletic in high school than what he showed here. No lateral quickness. Weā€™ll have to wait and see on Big Phil but like you saidā€¦he supposedly has a solid offensive game and can rebound the ball.

Things not looking so rosy in Las Cruces this morningā€¦

ESPN.com: New Mexico State star indicted on felony charges

A thread on Iti, about whom you do not care, gets more than 1,000 page views. A thread on Calvin Brock, a graduate fighting for the heavyweight title, gets 156. Who is it we should be writing about again?

A thread on Iti, about whom you do not care, gets more than 1,000 page views. A thread on Calvin Brock, a graduate fighting for the heavyweight title, gets 156. Who is it we should be writing about again?

using that logic you should have a Charlotte 49er Football article every other day, and you should have had a front page piece on ā€œfantasy dollarsā€

Iā€™m just surprised, given the beating I took about not covering him before. Apparently fewer people care about Brock than I thought from reading this board. Good thing I feel some need to do the right thing, not just cover the topics that are most popular on internet message boards.

Am I the only one that thought this thread was going to be about Robert Parrish commenting on Iti???

i support brock but boxing isnā€™t news anymore. They dont fight every week, maybe once every two months. There just isnā€™t much to talk about with it.

I donā€™t believe i ever called you out on brock, I donā€™t feel like people care about boxing enough to make a big deal of it.

Actually it is the opposite. Iti was athletic and is more athletic than big Phil. Iti had great "ups". The thing that Phil gives us that Iti didn't is a more complete player that has offensive skills. He will not be the shot blocker that Iti was but will be a better rebounder and a better offensive player.

If Iti had such great ā€œupsā€ then why wasnā€™t he taking the jump-ball at the start of every game?

he missed half of his dunks, and i never saw iti as a magnificent shot blocker, he had a block party against NC a&T but my grandma would have had at least 3 blocks at center in that game

One thing is for sure - Iti was laughing his ass off after a couple 49er games last year.

Martin Iti will average more points AND rebounds than BOTH Phil Jones and Antwon Coleman COMBINED this season.

[QUOTE=Hooligan;196264]
Martin Iti will average more points AND rebounds than BOTH Phil Jones and Antwon Coleman COMBINED this season.[/QUOTE]

Even if Phil doesnt play this year, that wont happen.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;196242]A thread on Iti, about whom you do not care, gets more than 1,000 page views. A thread on Calvin Brock, a graduate fighting for the heavyweight title, gets 156. Who is it we should be writing about again?[/QUOTE]

I did not know who Calvin Brock was until about a year and half ago after reading about him on this board. I have followed him ever since, but until then, I didnā€™t know him from Calvin & Hobbs. I would wager that there are many that frequent this board that still do not know who he is. Thus, they donā€™t click on the thread to find out. Almost everybody who visits the board knows who Iti is, and most have an opinion on him. Many could also simply care less about boxing, regardless of whether or not a Niner is fighting to be Heavyweight Champion of the World next Saturday night. Just my 2 cents.