OT: USNews Rankings Fall Again - #31 Universities-Master's (South)

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;185824]I say let growth only come with academic quality, else raise the fees and at least get a football team out of itā€¦ definitely not growth that hurts academics and still does not give us football.

I had rather emphasize future growth on post graduate curriculums.

maybe a school of journalism too, so we can have us some sports editors like chapel hill does.[/QUOTE]

I have always kinda been confused by thisā€¦What is the purpose of growing just for the sake of growing. If it has ANY potential of hurting academic standardsā€¦then it should not be done.

Has there ever been a discussion on the logic behind the obsession with growth?

[QUOTE=casstommy;185826]I have always kinda been confused by thisā€¦What is the purpose of growing just for the sake of growing. If it has ANY potential of hurting academic standardsā€¦then it should not be done.

Has there ever been a discussion on the logic behind the obsession with growth?[/QUOTE]

I believe this happened with the Nursing program too. The pass rates for the nursing test (I donā€™t know what itā€™s called) were in the high 90s several years back, higher than Chapel Hillā€™s, now they are down in 60-70s if I remeber properly.

Personally I think the school is big enough on the undergraduate level. Tightening enrollment would be an immediatly effective solution to the problems we have with school spirit, reputation. funding, and standards.

[QUOTE=pip;185872]I believe this happened with the Nursing program too. The pass rates for the nursing test (I donā€™t know what itā€™s called) were in the high 90s several years back, higher than Chapel Hillā€™s, now they are down in 60-70s if I remeber properly.[/QUOTE]

The nursing program is a messā€¦my wife is a nurse gradā€¦the pass rate for the boards is horribleā€¦compare them to CMCā€™s schoolā€¦which is near a 100.

I think that the transfer program Charlotte has with CPCC is bringing in A LOT of unqualified studentsā€¦and students who have no real desire to be a part of the University long term.

I definitely think that Charlotte needs to tighten the enrollment standardsā€¦especially with so much expected growthā€¦thatā€™s a #1 in upcoming years. Thatā€™s how you gain prestigeā€¦when you have thousands of people trying to get inā€¦but ā€¦ you canā€™t let them all in.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]

What is a masterā€™s university. I donā€™t really understand what are ranked 31st in
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]US N&WR categorises schools by the programs and degreeā€™s they they offerā€¦[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]There are 4 levels[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]1. National Universities- [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]There are 248 national universities based on the 2000 categories established by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. These schools offer a full range of undergraduate majors as well as masterā€™s and doctoral degrees. They place strong emphasis on research and receive federal money to support their research endeavors.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]2. Masters Universities-[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Like National Universities, universities-masterā€™s offer a full range of undergraduate programs and provide graduate education at the masterā€™s level. However, they differ by offering few, if any, doctoral programs. [FONT=Times New Roman]Of the 567 masterā€™s universities, 259 are public. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3 Liberal Arts College[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There are 217 liberal arts colleges, 22 of them public. These schools emphasize undergraduate education. To be included, colleges must award at least 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines, such as languages and literature, biology and life sciences, philosophy, cultural studies, and psychology. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]4. B[FONT=Times New Roman]achelorā€™s College[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]The 325 comprehensive colleges-bachelorā€™s, including 54 public institutions, focus on undergraduate education but grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. The comprehensive colleges-bachelorā€™s category includes institutions where at least 10 percent of the undergraduate degrees awarded are bachelorā€™s.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Pretty soon we should be on the doctorate category. Most of these schools are small and have nothing in common with us.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Got to add doctoral degreeā€™s and research according to these requirements. Size doesnā€™t matter.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]US N&WR categorises schools by the programs and degree's they they offer..[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]There are 4 levels[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]1. National Universities- [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]There are 248 national universities based on the 2000 categories established by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. These schools offer a full range of undergraduate majors as well as masterā€™s and doctoral degrees. They place strong emphasis on research and receive federal money to support their research endeavors.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]2. Masters Universities-[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Like National Universities, universities-masterā€™s offer a full range of undergraduate programs and provide graduate education at the masterā€™s level. However, they differ by offering few, if any, doctoral programs. [FONT=Times New Roman]Of the 567 masterā€™s universities, 259 are public. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3 Liberal Arts College[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There are 217 liberal arts colleges, 22 of them public. These schools emphasize undergraduate education. To be included, colleges must award at least 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines, such as languages and literature, biology and life sciences, philosophy, cultural studies, and psychology. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]4. B[FONT=Times New Roman]achelorā€™s College[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]The 325 comprehensive colleges-bachelorā€™s, including 54 public institutions, focus on undergraduate education but grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. The comprehensive colleges-bachelorā€™s category includes institutions where at least 10 percent of the undergraduate degrees awarded are bachelorā€™s.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Got to add doctoral degreeā€™s and research according to these requirements. Size doesnā€™t matter.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

We do have doctoral programs. Quite a few actually, I think we need 2 or 3 more to be considered a national university.

We do have doctoral programs. Quite a few actually, I think we need 2 or 3 more to be considered a national university.

Masters level universities have few if any doctoral programs according to USNWR.

We need at least 20 phD programs to be considered research-extensive and on the level of a doctoral university. Currently, we have 17.

UNC Greensboro has attained this status because they have over 20 pdD programs.

We need at least 20 phD programs to be considered research-extensive and on the level of a doctoral university. Currently, we have 17.

Thatā€™s good. The obstacle would be the state . I think they have to approve all the programs.

http://www.uncc.edu/gradmiss/gs_graduate_programs.html

Based upon what the university has posted there are 19 PHD/EDD programs.

[URL=http://www.uncc.edu/gradmiss/gs_graduate_programs.html]http://www.uncc.edu/gradmiss/gs_graduate_programs.html[/URL]

Based upon what the university has posted there are 19 PHD/EDD programs.

Yeah, Business Administration and Organizational Science just started this semester thoughā€¦ little too late.

Weā€™ll get 'em next time.

[QUOTE=StillJonesing;186628]Thatā€™s good. The obstacle would be the state . I think they have to approve all the programs.[/QUOTE]

thereā€™s a potential problem.

US News misprinted our endowment, they said it was something like $46mil when itā€™s really about $100mil.

• doh! I repeated myself. :confused:
I definitely think that Charlotte needs to tighten the enrollment standards...especially with so much expected growth...that's a #1 in upcoming years. That's how you gain prestige..when you have thousands of people trying to get in...but ... you can't let them all in.

I agree that quite a few unqualified students seem to fall through the graduation system. But a great thing about NC schools is that even borderline cases get a chance to succeed in college. Charlotte accepts NC students who may be on the border to give them a chance. This is unlike VA, whitā€™s almost impossible for some normal kids to even get into a public school.

The only thing Charlotte has to do, though, is step up and force the borderline cases to raise their ability or fail out people who continually donā€™t cut it.

As far as the transfer system goes, it has its flaws, but it is a good system. Iā€™m a product of it. Some people canā€™t leave home or donā€™t feel ready to step into a university environment or are undecided in what they want to do with their lives. CC is a good, low-cost place to sort out problems or transition before going on. The problem is, though, that the college equivalent courses must be taught as a college equivalent, not a high school hand holding exercise. I must say some of my college courses at Wayne CC were much more difficult than courses at Charlotte.

So maybe CPCC needs to evaulate its programs, because other CCā€™s are pretty good.

As far as transfers not having school spirit, I donā€™t agree. They may have a friend and support system away from campus that makes them not need a support system on campus. But programs need to specifically target these students. If transfers have a reason to stay on campus other than classes, and the students they meet are absorbed into the campus community, the transfers will become involved in the campus community. There were two guys that got me involved in campus that made the difference in me keeping ties with the University.

Disclaimer: This may seem like an off topic post, but it really isnā€™t. It suggests a way we can improve the school!

We need to strengthen the gen-ed classes or cut them all together! I suggest dropping global connections and similar required classes, or make them much more difficult. As the class stands now, itā€™s way too easy and pretty worthless content wise.

My lord, how I hate that class. I dropped it a few days ago and Iā€™m going to have to bribe whoever I need to so I can get a pass on that!

I hate wasting my time and money on worthless, grade school level, classes.