Panthers free agency

PFT is reporting Charles Johnson has signed a six-year, $78 million contract with $30 million guaranteed. Wow. Still waiting to hear back .

Matt Moore is gone.

Signed 1 yr deal with Payne, Safety from the Rams.

Kendric Burney, undrafted rookie CB from UNC-CH will sign with the Panthers.

Per the Observer also reached terms with undrafted free agents:

Center Ryan Pugh and receiver Darvin Adams out of Auburn.

Lineman Byron Bell out of New Mexico.

Kicker Adi Kunalic out of Nebraska.

Good grief I thought the Panthers were done overpaying for borderline guys… Johnson started one season for a bad team and didn’t even knock the socks off for that season…

There goes all that cap room we had to rebuild.

[quote=“EE9er, post:4, topic:25575”]Good grief I thought the Panthers were done overpaying for borderline guys… Johnson started one season for a bad team and didn’t even knock the socks off for that season…

There goes all that cap room we had to rebuild.[/quote]

I don’t think thats all the cap room 32 mil guaranteed over how many years? They had the second most cap room in the league. They should be fine. As for spending the cash on Johnson its a risky move, but could work out. Rolling the dice. They said all along keeping their own guys was the first priority.

I would have been pissed if we didn’t land Johnson. We can afford to lose D-Will. We have Stewart, Goodson & Sutton at the RB spot.

[quote=“EE9er, post:4, topic:25575”]Good grief I thought the Panthers were done overpaying for borderline guys… Johnson started one season for a bad team and didn’t even knock the socks off for that season…

There goes all that cap room we had to rebuild.[/quote]

Huh? Look at his splits when he’s in, he’s been producing since he started getting playing time. Not just one season. The guy has been an impact guy since he entered the league, but was forced to wait behind Peppers and Rucker. You get a guy who just turned 25 who has improved and show he could put up numbers when in there full time.

There’s a reason why CJ was the top DE Free Agent and 3rd or 4th overall on most teams boards.

Everything I have read says $72 M for Johnson. Also, King signed with Arizona. And DWill is expected to sign with Carolina today. Read something yesterday where he said he wants to retire in Carolina and he is excited about what the coaches have planned for him this year.

Total contract is 72 mil but thats the possible total its not all guaranteed money. So assuming its back loaded like most contracts the impcact to this yrs cap shouldnt be too drastic.

Total contract is 72 mil but thats the possible total its not all guaranteed money. So assuming its back loaded like most contracts the impcact to this yrs cap shouldnt be too drastic.[/quote]Right. I was modifying the total listed previously in the thread. According to ESPN, he is guaranteed $30M like said early here in the thread.

Former Chiefs defensive tackle Ron Edwards reached agreement with Carolina on a 3-yr, $8.25 million deal.

Johnson’s cap hit expected to be 7-8 mil. Plenty of cash flow left.

Williams gets five years and $43 million ($21 million guaranteed) to stay with Panthers.

WAY too much imo. I’d say he’s worth $4-5MM max. Not sure any team would come even close to an offer we made.

Wasted money. He better stay healthy.

[quote=“cibik02, post:13, topic:25575”]Williams gets five years and $43 million ($21 million guaranteed) to stay with Panthers.

WAY too much imo. I’d say he’s worth $4-5MM max. Not sure any team would come even close to an offer we made.

Wasted money. He better stay healthy.[/quote]

While I agree, he’s not worthy of 9-10mm, it is only 4-5mm guar, so there’s no telling what the actual hit will be.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/07/report-deangelo-williams-re-signs-with-panthers.html

EDIT: if he does make the max, I suppose he’d be having a hell of a year and be worth it, no?

per John Clayton: Filed to ESPN, The Panthers have reached a two-year deal on TE Ben Hartsock

RT @ProFootballTalk Olindo Mare signs with the Panthers. Per league source.

[quote=“cibik02, post:13, topic:25575”]Williams gets five years and $43 million ($21 million guaranteed) to stay with Panthers.

Wasted money. He better stay healthy.[/quote]

I disagree…I much prefer him over Stewart and Stewart has been more injury prone over his career than DWill. I’d actually like to trade Stewart for a receiver and keep DWill with Goodson as the back-up.

RT @josephperson: BREAKING NEWS: Panthers sign LBs Thomas Davis and James Anderson to 5-year deals. Anderson was UFA.

Plan to cut John Kasey tomorrow.

End of an era…

End of an era…[/quote]