Panthers free agency

End of an era…[/quote][/quote]

Report on NFL Network Panthers trade for Chicago Bears TE Greg Olsen. Not sure what they gave up for him yet.

So now we have Shockey and Olsen? Wow we must want to give our new QB an easy out.

So now we have Shockey and Olsen? Wow we must want to give our new QB an easy out.[/quote]

Not a bad plan with 2 young QBs. Solid o line with everyone healthy, great stable of back and now TEs for the QB to hit. We are trying to help them out for sure. If one of the young wrs can take the next step or we sign a wr the offense has some weapons.

gave up a 3rd rounder for Olsen. Season could be interesting if we get solid QB play.

I feel pretty good about the upcoming season honestly.

If Cam can just not suck and we remain relatively injury free, we could possibly sneak in as a wild card. Cam doesn’t have to be good, he just has to move the chains. His ability to run should help him there while he learns the ins and outs of being a QB in the NFL.

Read that the player being discussed in the Olsen deal was Dan Connor. Just a 3rd round pick is going to Chi-town instead.

For the first time in a long time I feel like the Panthers are on the right track. I was really worried about losing Smith because it was him we needed to build around in the first place. Now we get to keep him, pick up the best available rookie QB AND got two extremely solid TE’s for him to throw too. Add in a killer O line and big things are coming for the Panthers. I like Rivera already!

Anyone know if Otah is healthy? I think he’s a big key to our line, but haven’t heard anything lately…

[quote=“Iron9er, post:29, topic:25575”]Anyone know if Otah is healthy? I think he’s a big key to our line, but haven’t heard anything lately…[/quote]His agent said he’s fully healthy.

I saw a picture of him at BoA Stadium from yesterday and he looked fine.

Playoffs!!! P P Playoffs!!! :stuck_out_tongue: Dang you guys are really wearing some teal tinted glasses but ok… we’ll see.

Who are our corners? Is it still Gamble or Marshall, I took last year off like most other panther fans.

[quote=“EE9er, post:31, topic:25575”]Playoffs!!! P P Playoffs!!! :stuck_out_tongue: Dang you guys are really wearing some teal tinted glasses but ok… we’ll see.

Who are our corners? Is it still Gamble or Marshall, I took last year off like most of the panthers players.[/quote]FTFY. :smiley:

The Panthers win 2 games, re-sign just about everybody from that team, add a questionable rookie QB, and sign one decent TE, and you guys are this excited? Wow.

Hopefully a new QB starter
New coaches and Plays
New TE that the coach has a history of using.
Def was already pretty good
WR have another year experience
players back healthy thus far

…and did I mention a new coach and set of plays? I’m more excited to see our new plays than anything else.

So yea, I’m excited. Otherwise you hate life and you will be the most unhappy person in the world. It’s okay to drink the koolaid. Doesn’t hurt you. Let me pour you a glass my firend.

OL will be healthy, getting thomas davis inked. We still need a QB. Added talent at TE, where our OC has had tremendous success with Gates and Malemalemuna (best I could come up with).

We just need some solid QB play, talent is there.

This is true on the surface, but look deeper.

We had a top 10 D if the offense would have stopped turning the ball over.

Otah was hurt.
Deangelo was hurt.
Beason out of position.
Thomas Davis hurt.
Awful Qb play.
Rookie WRs.

Change out those things and we don’t end with two wins. Similar to our niners last year the panthers just had everything go wrong last year. That does not mean the don’t have a solid core. If we stay healthy and cam can just be decent we should be ok. IMO NFC South us too stacked for playoff run this year though. Cam needs atleast a year…

we need a vet WR to bookend with Steve Smith and at least 1 shutdown corner, and 1 more journeyman corner.

Our DTs are still a by committee role, which hurts as well.

I like throwing to the TE, and its obvious that’s what this staff wants to do, but how is that going to stop defenses from stacking the box against us? We need some real threats to stretch the field.

Hopefully Gettis can be a vertical threat for us. I thought he showed some promise last year.

It’s a QB league. A good QB is (almost) all you need to be a good team.

All the players the Panthers resigned are solid players. All of them would have been signed by other teams to big contracts by now if we had not done so (except the kicker) first.

We didn’t extend Gamble or Marshall because they are mediocre players. Jerry and Hurney are resigning our talent and bringing in pieces to fill the deficiencies.

If we get a solid corner and move Marshall back to Nickel, I think we’ll be in good shape on both sides of the ball.

A veteran WR would be nice, but Gettis showed a lot of promise and LaFell had moments as well, and that was with horrrrrrrrible QB play. We have two pass catching TE’s, so I think we’ll have plenty of receiving options for Cam.

[quote=“Niner National, post:39, topic:25575”]It’s a QB league. A good QB is (almost) all you need to be a good team.

All the players the Panthers resigned are solid players. All of them would have been signed by other teams to big contracts by now if we had not done so (except the kicker) first.

We didn’t extend Gamble or Marshall because they are mediocre players. Jerry and Hurney are resigning our talent and bringing in pieces to fill the deficiencies.

If we get a solid corner and move Marshall back to Nickel, I think we’ll be in good shape on both sides of the ball.

A veteran WR would be nice, but Gettis showed a lot of promise and LaFell had moments as well, and that was with horrrrrrrrible QB play. We have two pass catching TE’s, so I think we’ll have plenty of receiving options for Cam.[/quote]

I think you are spot on. This will spread the field and give Smith room to do his magic.