Panthers free agency

RT @josephperson: CB Brandon Hogan, Panthers’ 4th-rd pick, has signed. Now he has to pass his physical. Coming off knee surgery.

RT @josephperson: OT Lee Ziemba, one of Panthers’ 7th-rd picks, has signed. Panthers still working on their 1st-rounder.

South Park Cynical Asshole

I’m very excited about getting Olsen, but I don’t know how I would have felt about losing Dan morg–er–Connor.

All the talk about being good or sucking this year … I think we had too many key injuries last year, otherwise we would have won at least 5-6 games. O-Line is accountable for a large part of our terrible QB play. Defense was on the field wayyyyy too long to be effective.

I think this could be a good year, but then again, I’m a fan and we’re making moves - how could I think otherwise?

Hopefully a new QB starter
New coaches and Plays
New TE that the coach has a history of using.
Def was already pretty good
WR have another year experience
players back healthy thus far

…and did I mention a new coach and set of plays? I’m more excited to see our new plays than anything else.

So yea, I’m excited. Otherwise you hate life and you will be the most unhappy person in the world. It’s okay to drink the koolaid. Doesn’t hurt you. Let me pour you a glass my firend.[/quote]

A new coach I’d see as a negative, especially with a shortened camp.

NWA, my niners have an IR list like that on the regular every season we never seem to make a jump, or everytime we start to show some promise Gore breaks his hip.

I’m not knocking the Panthers anything fierce, I’m just surprised by the amount of optimism.

South Park Cynical Asshole[/quote]

Nothing overly cynical about it. If I could post a SP video of “drinking the koolaid” I’d shoot one back at you. You have a horrible team to which you bring everyone back to. I understand injuries as much as anyone, but a bad team is a bad team, and the NFC South is one of the least forgiving divisions in football. Atleast the Niners get the NFC West for 6 games.

Truth is probably somwhere in between, but I have to admit, I’m not excited by anything the panthers have done so far.

And we massively overpiad for charles johnson and Olindo Mare.

Frank Gracia justs aid on 610 that the Falcons inked an equivalent DE (Ray Edwards) to CJ for only $30M, only $11M guaranteed. Compared to $32M and $72M for CJ. CJ’s bonus is more than Edwards’ entire contract.

No worries mate … just having a little fun.

As for the koolaid, I’m not delusional enough to think I haven’t consumed my fair share:

How does Marty Hurney still have a job?

HOW?

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:50, topic:25575”]How does Marty Hurney still have a job?

HOW?[/quote]

While I am not a big Hurney fan I am pretty happy with our moves. The main complaint being that we overpaid for Johnson. While I think we probably did it isn’t like we were the only team ready to throw big money at him. I totally agree in locking down all our other guys. Most GMs in the league would have done what he has done.

The one big concern I would have had about Edwards is he got his sacks opposite Allen. He was a #2 DE. In ATL he will also be a #2 DE. We needed a #1 and Johnson last year had his sacks as a #1 because who was he opposite of? Brayton? Hardy? Something like this is always a gamble - never know if the breakout season was a one year thing or the start of something big. Also explain the drastic difference between Edwards deal and CJ’s.

As for corner - Hurney was an idiot for paying Gamble big corner money with his last contract. I think they are planning on getting heat with the front 7 and downplaying the importance of a shutdown corner. Beason says it looks like they will be blitzing 65-70% of the time vs. around 25% last year. Just need two solid guys back there and safeties that can cover some ground. We only have so much money and that means choosing where you spend it.

DTs - We need to find some gems somewhere either that are cut when rosters go down or through a trade. If we can’t stop the run then the pass defense won’t matter much.

More than anything we need Cam to develop quickly and for the staff to take advantage of his natural skill set while giving him easy outlets. Solid QB play will go a long way. If we can go somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8 I would consider this year a success. The year after that is when I expect playoffs. We went 1-15 followed by 7-9 followed by SB. No reason we can’t see a similar progression this time.

CB is a huge hole, maybe we work out a trade for Asante Samuel…

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:50, topic:25575”]How does Marty Hurney still have a job?

HOW?[/quote]

What did he do now? I’ve started to accept this as the norm, he hasn’t built a good team since 2005, yet he still get’s tons of chances. You look at what other teams do and scratch your head how he can be so dumb on some of his decisions.

He overpaid a good, but not elite player, and has failed to sign a single starting CB, leaving a gaping hole in our roster/starting lineup, for bout the eleventeenth year in a row.

Every year we have a major need that goes unfilled because he didn’t see it coming and cannot find a way to find players that other teams have no trouble finding and signing.

He never went out and got a real QB successor, putting us in the position we’re in now, and forcing us to start guys that were literally home watching the TV a week before they started here, and leaving us stuck with underperformers at key positions.

His draft day trade strategies have varied between mediocre and atrocious (ARMANTI EDWARDS)… I just dont get how he keeps his job. He’s terrible.

My understanding is that once other teams make cuts, we’ll address our CB situation then. Could luck out and get someone with talent or we could be fapped.

So we’re waiting on someone else to make a mistake rather than being proactive, with any kind of forward thinking strategy to address team needs.

Par for the course for the Hurney era.

If we had a hole because of an unforeseen injury, I might cut him some slack (though we should have some solid backups too), but this is just horrible planning, and given the salary cap room, cant even be blamed on Richardson’s fire sale last year.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:54, topic:25575”]He overpaid a good, but not elite player, and has failed to sign a single starting CB, leaving a gaping hole in our roster/starting lineup, for bout the eleventeenth year in a row.

Every year we have a major need that goes unfilled because he didn’t see it coming and cannot find a way to find players that other teams have no trouble finding and signing.

He never went out and got a real QB successor, putting us in the position we’re in now, and forcing us to start guys that were literally home watching the TV a week before they started here, and leaving us stuck with underperformers at key positions.

His draft day trade strategies have varied between mediocre and atrocious (ARMANTI EDWARDS)… I just dont get how he keeps his job. He’s terrible.[/quote]

Oh I thought he did something else dumb… oh wait he did, he signed Anderson… Really I don’t why anyone is suprised about any of this, he’s sucked for years, should have been shown the door when Fox did, I guess he has some nuddie pics of Richardson or something.

http://bit.ly/qwIkA0

Panthers bring in Legedu Naanee, WR from San Diego.

[quote=“2k, post:58, topic:25575”]http://bit.ly/qwIkA0

Panthers bring in Legedu Naanee, WR from San Diego.[/quote]

This kid will be starting … imo

[quote=“C49erMoose, post:59, topic:25575”][quote=“2k, post:58, topic:25575”]http://bit.ly/qwIkA0

Panthers bring in Legedu Naanee, WR from San Diego.[/quote]

This kid will be starting … imo[/quote]

who?