Parking For Thursday?

Alright folks that have been to the Arena for other b-ball games, give me some pointers. I looked at the diagram below from the Arena website, but I’m not sure what is/will be available.

I can’t leave early enough Thursday to beat Charlotte rush hour traffic, so I’m thinking that I’ll try to be at the Arena by 6:45 and hopefully avoid it by coming on the late side. What might my best parking options be at that point? I don’t mind parking further away if it also gets me out quicker. Just trying to avoid the gridlock after the game, if possible, and chasing a spot when I get there. Thanks for any feedback.

All lots will be open. Don’t have to worry about that, you will have no problem finding parking.

Great thread. I would like some advice on particular lots if possible. Id like to stay in the 5 minute walk.

Since I’ll be coming up from 485 anyway I have decided (as much as it hurts to do so) to park at the station and ride the train up to Bobcats arena. Should save a good deal in time and money.

On street parking is free after 6:00 uptown. Last year, when I went to the Bobcats games, I just found a meter and parked for free. Most of the time I parked near the Government Center and First Baptist Church where they have plenty of meters. It’s a short walk, and there is no wait to get out of a deck.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;271257]On street parking is free after 6:00 uptown. Last year, when I went to the Bobcats games, I just found a meter and parked for free. Most of the time I parked near the Government Center and First Baptist Church where they have plenty of meters. It’s a short walk, and there is no wait to get out of a deck.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is what I have done in the past as well. As for gridlock after the game… I don’t know. There will probably be more at the game than there has been at any Bobcats game I have been too. But so far, it hasn’t taken long at all to vacate the 277 corridor.

If you’re going to park in a deck, Seventh Street Station is a good one. It’s a quick walk to the arena and also close to a lot of bars you may visit before/after the game.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;271257]On street parking is free after 6:00 uptown. Last year, when I went to the Bobcats games, I just found a meter and parked for free. Most of the time I parked near the Government Center and First Baptist Church where they have plenty of meters. It’s a short walk, and there is no wait to get out of a deck.[/QUOTE]

Which streets are best to park on? I’m not familiar with the landmarks you gave. Are there any streets to avoid in the area (safety reasons)?

There is a tailgate at the breakfast club parking lot.

I’ve parked in the lot next to Dixie’s on the other side of Imaginon from the Arena. It’s a small walk and the parking price may be a bit more, but I have NEVER had trouble getting out of there and hitting 277 or to get out of there. I know for Bobcats games I have paid $5 (their first year) and $10 last year. So you may pay, but I’m always relaxed b/c I know my blood pressure will be less afterwards trying to leave, and if this game is anything like the one two years ago, that may be helpful.

Facebook event info

Event InfoName:49er Vs. Wake Forest Tailgate
Tagline:49ers v. Wake Forest Tailgate Party
Host:Charlotte North Carolina
Type:[URL=http://uncc.facebook.com/s.php?k=400000010&c1=6][COLOR=#3b5998]Sports[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL=http://uncc.facebook.com/s.php?k=400000010&c1=6&c2=46][COLOR=#3b5998]Sporting Event[/COLOR][/URL]
Time and PlaceDate:Thursday, November 29, 2007
Time:3:00pm - 6:30pm
Street:225 N CALDWELL ST
City/Town:Charlotte, NC

Facebook URL

[URL]http://uncc.facebook.com/event.php?eid=7232714551[/URL]

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;271259]If you’re going to park in a deck, Seventh Street Station is a good one. It’s a quick walk to the arena and also close to a lot of bars you may visit before/after the game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, 7th St Station is the place to park. You’ll be one block from the first bar (Buckhead) in the bar crawl. And the arena is also within one block.

I like parking in [B]7th St. Station[/B] when I go uptown…

I was considering the train as an option, but I have a friend who’s apartment building is downtown and I can park there as a guest for free. It’s a longer walk, but traffic is not an issue. We did this for the Davidson/UNC game and it worked well. ]

If I was going to park dowtown I would try the 7th street deck or even the one on 5th at Hurst tower.

[QUOTE=X-49er;271266]Which streets are best to park on? I’m not familiar with the landmarks you gave. Are there any streets to avoid in the area (safety reasons)?[/QUOTE]

Usually around 3rd and Davidson or Caldwell. There are usually plenty of meters there. It’s within the 10 minute walk range from the map above.

I’m going to try to get near the bar crawl.

the gates should be up by then so you can just park in my churches parking lot.

There are surface lots that usually have available spaces. I want to say it’s Brevard and 5th, maybe 6th ST. And there’s always the bus, too. The transit center is across the street from the arena.

[QUOTE=dax;271318]the gates should be up by then so you can just park in my churches parking lot.[/QUOTE]

That’s probably where I’ll be parking.

On street parking is usually prohibited in the vicinity of the arena for arena events (this includes Tryon Street).

As mentioned, 7th Street Station is a good place. There are also other parking decks close by (and 2 are closer than 7th Street Station).

As for surface lots, there will be quite a few within 2 blocks of the arena, most of them accssible from Brevard Street. The one beside Dixie Tavern is very convenient. (Brevard and 7th)

As for leaving downtown, I’ve never had too much trouble leaving for any event, including a few sold out concerts.