Pat Kelsey (AHC at Xavier)

Giving him his own thread since it sounds like he could be on our short list. If we end up hiring someone without HC experience, Kelsey is at the top of my list. The Xavier coaching pipeline is strong.

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kelsey_pat00.html

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kelsey_pat00.html

http://twitter.com/patkelsey

thread on Xavier board:
http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14654

It is very hard to argue against the X program…can’t think of to many other programs as succesful as them.

I would take him in a second… everything that X touches seems to turn into gold. I wonder if he would find it weird to play against his former team at least twice a year though.

Good piece on Kelsey written by Xavier/A-10 beatwriter Shannon Russell back in November:

Cincinnati.com: A Musketeer family man with a plan

Kelsey is my ideal choice, but seeing as he’s an alumni of Xavier and he just moved his family there recently… I’m skeptical that he’d come here. I think he’d be great though.

Bring him in,

I’d be happy with Kelsey, Rice, Groce, or Brownell. All those guys can sell the program and have had success.

I don’t buy the “just moved his family” stuff. You enter the coaching gig, you know the consequences. I’d like to know if he is guaranteed or not at X. Most asst coaches are yr to yr.

If we offer him a 5 yr deal at $350,000 base + 200k of legit incentives, then he is gonna walk from basically $2 million at 34 yrs old?

That is a nice package for a young coach who has killer NC recruiting in place.

I know head coaches do not discuss possible new jobs until their yr is over, but can an asst coach during the NCAA tourn? I’m drawing a blank there.

It is just my guess, but as an asst coach I would think if you interviewed while your team was heading to the Sweet 16 and beyond you had better get the job, because the head coach is not going to be happy about your priorities. However, some level setting could occur now–how much $ are you expecting, etc–to see if we are in the ballpark. If we are then waiting to get the right guy is just what you have to do.

As much as I am pulling for Xavier to go the distance I think they will be out of the tournament shortly, they do have Kansas State next after all. We could interview him next week.

[quote=“metro, post:7, topic:22864”]I don’t buy the “just moved his family” stuff. You enter the coaching gig, you know the consequences. I’d like to know if he is guaranteed or not at X. Most asst coaches are yr to yr.

If we offer him a 5 yr deal at $350,000 base + 200k of legit incentives, then he is gonna walk from basically $2 million at 34 yrs old?

I know head coaches do not discuss possible new jobs until their yr is over, but can an asst coach during the NCAA tourn? I’m drawing a blank there.[/quote]

Basketball Assistants generally don’t discuss potential HC jobs until they are done with the tournament, but I know in football assistants take HC jobs before bowl games. I don’t know about discussing it or not, but I would doubt an assistant would do anything to distract the team he’s working for.

I’m guessing Kelsey would be next in line for the X job (given their track record), but remember, Chris Mack is just a rookie head coach. He played at Xavier, was an assistant at Xavier, so I don’t think he’s going to be as eager as coaches of the past to jump ship. If Mack does anything it would probably be 4-5 years down the road going to a blockbuster job, so would Kelsey really be willing to wait that long?

This is my early leader. Would like to hear him speak, to see what kind of presence he has.

I think he could be really successful here.

He gets my vote. I’m waiting on Judy to call and ask my opinion

I would take anybody related to X hoops. Call the waterboy if Kelsey won’t take the job.

[quote=“49er96, post:12, topic:22864”]He gets my vote. I’m waiting on Judy to call and ask my opinion

I would take anybody related to X hoops. Call the waterboy if Kelsey won’t take the job.[/quote]

Lol :))

http://collegechalktalk.com/coachesDiary/xavier/headlines-featured?tmpl=headlines-diary-template

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:10, topic:22864”][quote=“metro, post:7, topic:22864”]I don’t buy the “just moved his family” stuff. You enter the coaching gig, you know the consequences. I’d like to know if he is guaranteed or not at X. Most asst coaches are yr to yr.

I know head coaches do not discuss possible new jobs until their yr is over, but can an asst coach during the NCAA tourn? I’m drawing a blank there.[/quote]

Basketball Assistants generally don’t discuss potential HC jobs until they are done with the tournament, but I know in football assistants take HC jobs before bowl games. I don’t know about discussing it or not, but I would doubt an assistant would do anything to distract the team he’s working for.

I’m guessing Kelsey would be next in line for the X job (given their track record), but remember, Chris Mack is just a rookie head coach. He played at Xavier, was an assistant at Xavier, so I don’t think he’s going to be as eager as coaches of the past to jump ship. If Mack does anything it would probably be 4-5 years down the road going to a blockbuster job, so would Kelsey really be willing to wait that long?[/quote]

Would the wait be that bad though? Consider this: He comes to Charlotte, becomes a successful headcoach and then Xavier coach leaves for a bigger gig. Xavier might come calling on him and he being and alumn might go back.

But everything I read about this guy I like

-Instrumental in developing the concept of “Tie-Dye Nation” at Wake Forest. The program has been a widely successful marketing project for the Demon Deacons.-

I like that.

sat behind the X bench during last home game - must say he was definately “into” the game. He actually seemed to be handling the play by play decisions and was constantly in contact with HC. The refs must have told him to sit down at least 5 or 6 times. No doubt he would bring excitement.

[quote=“Gill2003, post:15, topic:22864”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:10, topic:22864”][quote=“metro, post:7, topic:22864”]I don’t buy the “just moved his family” stuff. You enter the coaching gig, you know the consequences. I’d like to know if he is guaranteed or not at X. Most asst coaches are yr to yr.

I’m guessing Kelsey would be next in line for the X job (given their track record), but remember, Chris Mack is just a rookie head coach. He played at Xavier, was an assistant at Xavier, so I don’t think he’s going to be as eager as coaches of the past to jump ship. If Mack does anything it would probably be 4-5 years down the road going to a blockbuster job, so would Kelsey really be willing to wait that long?[/quote]

Would the wait be that bad though? Consider this: He comes to Charlotte, becomes a successful headcoach and then Xavier coach leaves for a bigger gig. Xavier might come calling on him and he being and alumn might go back.

But everything I read about this guy I like

-Instrumental in developing the concept of “Tie-Dye Nation” at Wake Forest. The program has been a widely successful marketing project for the Demon Deacons.-

I like that.[/quote]

Yea Gill, that was my point. Some Xavier fans are saying Kelsey wouldn’t leave after just 1 year there at Xavier. What I’m saying is, Mack isn’t going anywhere soon, so I doubt Kelsey is going to turn down HC offers (especially a good one like we are offering) to wait and be the next XU coach.

BTW, Chris Mack, like Kelsey, is an alum and played for the Muskies so I have to think that his loyalty would be a little more than that of Matta and Miller. I doubt Mack would jump at the first BCS team that came knocking.

If we offer and the money is around $500K for a 4 or 5 yr deal he’s here.

He definately fits the profile of what I would want in a coach at this point. I wouldn’t worry too much about the X ties with Mack being a rookie, he’ll probably be there for a while.

I would like to see us go after a guy like this more than a retread or even a Wojo-type. This guy is already familiar with the A-10 and the way things are done. Would be a good get IMO.

Kelsey could be a very good head coach for us. He’s known for getting great recruits and has a lot of recruiting ties in North Carolina.

1. Does the fact that Judy said she wants someone who is going to retire here (or something to that effect) take Kelsey out of the conversation?

2. Is it common practice to take assistants from in conference opponents?

I am trying to think of examples and the first to come to mind was Rutgers taking Fred Hill Jr from Jay Wright and Villanova…which has been a disaster.