Pat Kelsey (AHC at Xavier)

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:20, topic:22864”]1. Does the fact that Judy said she wants someone who is going to retire here (or something to that effect) take Kelsey out of the conversation?

1. Is it common practice to take assistants from in conference opponents?

I am trying to think of examples and the first to come to mind was Rutgers taking Fred Hill Jr from Jay Wright and Villanova…which has been a disaster.[/quote]

I listened to the press conference and I didn’t pick that up at all.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:20, topic:22864”]1. Does the fact that Judy said she wants someone who is going to retire here (or something to that effect) take Kelsey out of the conversation?

2. Is it common practice to take assistants from in conference opponents?

I am trying to think of examples and the first to come to mind was Rutgers taking Fred Hill Jr from Jay Wright and Villanova…which has been a disaster.[/quote]

Can’t be no worse than what URI did. Take another conference member’s head coach (Jim Baron from St. Bona to URI).

[quote=“switchfoot, post:21, topic:22864”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:20, topic:22864”]1. Does the fact that Judy said she wants someone who is going to retire here (or something to that effect) take Kelsey out of the conversation?

1. Is it common practice to take assistants from in conference opponents?

I listened to the press conference and I didn’t pick that up at all.[/quote]

I could be wrong, I just thought that was something she stated by what I have read on here.

This can’t be true. Young and retire here is out of the questiion unless 1)we paid more than any other school… OR 2) we hire a 60 year old coach.

Young goes where they can advance their career and $$$$$$. Did I mention $$$$ ? No young coach turns down more money. Did I say $$$$. I have loyalty to my company, but would I put in my 2 weeks notice for a 50%+ more raise? hmmmmmmmm

Just heard Mac on FNZ interviewing Dino Guadio, and asked him about Kelsey to Charlotte. He didn’t want to comment on the situation but had nothing but high praises to say about him. Said he was a great game coach and any school in the country would be lucky to have him as the HC.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:22, topic:22864”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:20, topic:22864”]1. Does the fact that Judy said she wants someone who is going to retire here (or something to that effect) take Kelsey out of the conversation?

2. Is it common practice to take assistants from in conference opponents?

Can’t be no worse than what URI did. Take another conference member’s head coach (Jim Baron from St. Bona to URI).[/quote]

#2- No honor among thieves is the best way I know to put it.

Kelsey is far and away my #1 on our list. Hopefully if $$$ is a sticking point, we pony up for him.

I argree Pat Kelsey is far & away the best choice for us if we can get him. His resume before this year at Xavier (read at (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kelsey_pat00.html) is outstanding; young, energetic, great recruiter, good at player devlopment and x’s & o’s. If we could get him, I would be overjoyed.

utter’s tweet:

jim_utter As of Wednesday, Charlotte 49ers have not sought permission to speak with Xavier assoc head coach Pat Kelsey about their men’s bball job.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:29, topic:22864”]utter’s tweet:

[b] [url=http://twitter.com/jim_utter]jim_utter[/url] As of Wednesday, Charlotte 49ers have not sought permission to speak with Xavier assoc head coach Pat Kelsey about their men's bball job. [/b]
[/quote] wait until X's season is over

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:29, topic:22864”]utter’s tweet:

[b] [url=http://twitter.com/jim_utter]jim_utter[/url] As of Wednesday, Charlotte 49ers have not sought permission to speak with Xavier assoc head coach Pat Kelsey about their men's bball job. [/b]
[/quote]

According to Utter we have not contacted anyone.

I would imagine that we haven’t contacted Kelsey to respect the fact that he is still in the Dance and has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I would hope we’d wait until after X is out of the tournament to contact Kelsey. I’d like to see this process wrapped up as quickly as possible, but I’d like to see an A10 team do as well as possible in the tournament as well. They don’t need any distractions right now.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:31, topic:22864”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:29, topic:22864”]utter’s tweet:

[/quote]

According to Utter we have not contacted anyone.[/quote]

Somebody may have mentioned this in another thread…but just because we haven’t asked for permission to speak to Kelsey or even Buzz, doesn’t mean we haven’t talked to their agent(s). There are ways for both parties to respectfully let each other know they are interested/want to talk.

I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue: [quote=“Tintin, post:36, topic:22864”]I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote][/quote]Our own Melvin Watkins left when a bigger gig came along. The only way a coach leaves is if he has had success. Then we get another up and coming coach. I would take pat Kelsey over anyone mentioned yet.

The X board is an interesting read. The definitely have a high opinion of their program, but I guess you can’t blame them after their recent success. And it’s also clear that our recent run has really hurt how even our own conference mates see us.

Kelsey is my top choice is we go the asst route, but I’d rather see us grab Groce, Rice, or Ditka.

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:38, topic:22864”]The X board is an interesting read. The definitely have a high opinion of their program, but I guess you can’t blame them after their recent success. And it’s also clear that our recent run has really hurt how even our own conference mates see us.

Kelsey is my top choice is we go the asst route, but I’d rather see us grab Groce, Rice, or Ditka.[/quote]

Yeah, some of their fans are delusional. But, I guess the same can be said here. However, some of them act like asst coach at X is better than being head coach at Charlotte. Thats just stupid.

[quote=“Tintin, post:36, topic:22864”]I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote][/quote]

Most coaches that come here are going to leave if a bigger job comes open. I am sorry to break the news to you but if you wanted a coach that would never leave, I am not sure who you could have hired, maybe Dave Odom is the man for you. If the right job had came a long (see Tennessee Job) Bobby would have left too.

As far as Xavier fans goes, they can have a high opinion of their program, they do the same thing every year, WIN.