Pat Kelsey (AHC at Xavier)

They definitely win, but as Iron said for some of them to think that AHC at X no matter the circumstances is better than HC at Charlotte is delusional.

My favorite line in that thread is that Wake and Florida are probably slightly higher profile than they are. Back to back national champs Florida, and the school that recently hired their HC are probably slightly higher profile.

[quote=“switchfoot, post:40, topic:22864”][quote=“Tintin, post:36, topic:22864”]I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote][/quote]

Most coaches that come here are going to leave if a bigger job comes open. I am sorry to break the news to you but if you wanted a coach that would never leave, I am not sure who you could have hired, maybe Dave Odom is the man for you. If the right job had came a long (see Tennessee Job) Bobby would have left too.

As far as Xavier fans goes, they can have a high opinion of their program, they do the same thing every year, WIN.[/quote]

Not trying to attack you personally switchfoot, but these kinds of comments really irk the ^%& out of me. Right now, certainly we are not in the “upper echelon” of programs but shouldn’t that be our goal. I will NEVER accept that our program can NOT and will NOT get to that level (ie; I expect our program at some point in time—maybe 20 years from now----to get to the level that our own fans don’t automatically assume that our coaches will always leave for a “bigger” job). I want/expect us to BECOME that “bigger job”.

[quote=“hky49er, post:37, topic:22864”]:stuck_out_tongue: [quote=“Tintin, post:36, topic:22864”]I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote][/quote]Our own Melvin Watkins left when a bigger gig came along. The only way a coach leaves is if he has had success. Then we get another up and coming coach. I would take pat Kelsey over anyone mentioned yet.[/quote]
yeah, well do you know the history there? The red carpet was never really laid out for Melvin here.

This to me is what makes this hire really interesting and groundbreaking. Judy has always had 2 types of coaches: Mullins, who she was intimidated of and he pretty much told her how it would be, and then you had 2 alumni who didn’t want to trash the program by being public with negative comments, both fell on their sword.

Now, an “outsider” is coming in. Her whole philosophy on how to manage a hoops program will be starkly different than the past. This next guy will be on his cell, txting, and email every day telling his old comrades what Charlotte is like, and so will his staff. This dynamic has never been in place here.

I agree with you 100%. I want us to become the bigger job, but we’re not there yet. It will take time and probably more then one coach to change that. You’re talking about something that will take years and years of not only winning in the season but consistant post-season success. Hopefully this new hire is a step in that direction along with a conference move in a few years.

They definitely win, but as Iron said for some of them to think that AHC at X no matter the circumstances is better than HC at Charlotte is delusional.

My favorite line in that thread is that Wake and Florida are probably slightly higher profile than they are. Back to back national champs Florida, and the school that recently hired their HC are probably slightly higher profile.[/quote]

To be fair, I haven’t been over and read the Xavier board. I would certainly disagree that being an assistant at Xavier is a bigger job then a head coach here. I think Xavier fans are nuts if they think they’re that close to Florida. However, I would actually place them ahead of Wake Forest. I don’t think Wake Forest is a very good program and I think Dino Gaudio is a mediocre coach.

[quote=“919R, post:42, topic:22864”][quote=“switchfoot, post:40, topic:22864”][quote=“Tintin, post:36, topic:22864”]I do think we need to take hiring this guy with a grain of salt. If he’s willing to leave X, I think he might be quick to leave us if a bigger gig came along. Having said that, I would welcome him.

I am so ready for us to hire this guy.[/quote][/quote]

Most coaches that come here are going to leave if a bigger job comes open. I am sorry to break the news to you but if you wanted a coach that would never leave, I am not sure who you could have hired, maybe Dave Odom is the man for you. If the right job had came a long (see Tennessee Job) Bobby would have left too.

As far as Xavier fans goes, they can have a high opinion of their program, they do the same thing every year, WIN.[/quote]

Not trying to attack you personally switchfoot, but these kinds of comments really irk the ^%& out of me. Right now, certainly we are not in the “upper echelon” of programs but shouldn’t that be our goal. I will NEVER accept that our program can NOT and will NOT get to that level (ie; I expect our program at some point in time—maybe 20 years from now----to get to the level that our own fans don’t automatically assume that our coaches will always leave for a “bigger” job). I want/expect us to BECOME that “bigger job”.[/quote]

When we start paying coaches over $1.5 mill a year then you have a point.

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:38, topic:22864”]The X board is an interesting read. The definitely have a high opinion of their program, but I guess you can’t blame them after their recent success. And it’s also clear that our recent run has really hurt how even our own conference mates see us.

Kelsey is my top choice is we go the asst route, but I’d rather see us grab Groce, Rice, or Ditka.[/quote]

Nice…

Lets try to keep Kelsey’s name at the top of the list.

My favorite line in that thread is that Wake and Florida are probably slightly higher profile than they are. Back to back national champs Florida, and the school that recently hired their HC are probably slightly higher profile.[/quote]

To be fair, I haven’t been over and read the Xavier board. I would certainly disagree that being an assistant at Xavier is a bigger job then a head coach here. I think Xavier fans are nuts if they think they’re that close to Florida. However, I would actually place them ahead of Wake Forest. I don’t think Wake Forest is a very good program and I think Dino Gaudio is a mediocre coach.[/quote]

Yes

I would put Xavier in the Top 15 of BBall programs right now…(In no particular order, just as I thought of them.)

1 Kansas
2 North Carolina
3 Duke
4 Kentucky
5 Michigan State
6 Ohio State
7 Syracuse
8 UConn
9 UCLA
10 Arizona
11 Texas
12 Louisville
13 Florida
14 Pitt
15 Xavier

A Xavier fan said on the A10 board that a Cinci news station said last night that Kelsey will interview for the Charlotte job after Xavier’s season is over.

Another X fan on Xavierhoops.com said that he knew people close to the situation and that this is a virtual done deal and that we are just waiting until Xavier is out of the tournament.

Encouraging, but as we all know, you can’t fully trust anything that is posted on a message board. If that were the case Bobby Lutz would still be our head coach.

I like it

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:50, topic:22864”]I would put Xavier in the Top 15 of BBall programs right now…(In no particular order, just as I thought of them.)

1 Kansas
2 North Carolina
3 Duke
4 Kentucky
5 Michigan State
6 Ohio State
7 Syracuse
8 UConn
9 UCLA
10 Arizona
11 Texas
12 Louisville
13 Florida
14 Pitt
15 Xavier[/quote]
consult this list first

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

[quote=“metro, post:53, topic:22864”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:50, topic:22864”]I would put Xavier in the Top 15 of BBall programs right now…(In no particular order, just as I thought of them.)

1 Kansas
2 North Carolina
3 Duke
4 Kentucky
5 Michigan State
6 Ohio State
7 Syracuse
8 UConn
9 UCLA
10 Arizona
11 Texas
12 Louisville
13 Florida
14 Pitt
15 Xavier[/quote]
consult this list first

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf[/quote]

The key would be right now and I could but X in the top 15 right now.

The list is interesting but NC State is certainly not in the top 25 right now.

Would be nice to see them rank teams for the 2000s.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:54, topic:22864”][quote=“metro, post:53, topic:22864”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:50, topic:22864”]I would put Xavier in the Top 15 of BBall programs right now…(In no particular order, just as I thought of them.)

1 Kansas
2 North Carolina
3 Duke
4 Kentucky
5 Michigan State
6 Ohio State
7 Syracuse
8 UConn
9 UCLA
10 Arizona
11 Texas
12 Louisville
13 Florida
14 Pitt
15 Xavier[/quote]
consult this list first

Would be nice to see them rank teams for the 2000s.[/quote]
you’re correct, I thought he said all time 15

[quote=“metro, post:55, topic:22864”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:54, topic:22864”][quote=“metro, post:53, topic:22864”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:50, topic:22864”]I would put Xavier in the Top 15 of BBall programs right now…(In no particular order, just as I thought of them.)

1 Kansas
2 North Carolina
3 Duke
4 Kentucky
5 Michigan State
6 Ohio State
7 Syracuse
8 UConn
9 UCLA
10 Arizona
11 Texas
12 Louisville
13 Florida
14 Pitt
15 Xavier[/quote]
consult this list first

Would be nice to see them rank teams for the 2000s.[/quote]
you’re correct, I thought he said all time 15[/quote]

I wonder where they would rank us for the 2000s - we were flying high for half the decade and low for half the decade.

[quote=“Niner National, post:51, topic:22864”]A Xavier fan said on the A10 board that a Cinci news station said last night that Kelsey will interview for the Charlotte job after Xavier’s season is over.

Another X fan on Xavierhoops.com said that he knew people close to the situation and that this is a virtual done deal and that we are just waiting until Xavier is out of the tournament.

Encouraging, but as we all know, you can’t fully trust anything that is posted on a message board. If that were the case Bobby Lutz would still be our head coach.[/quote]

I guess we’ll know more in a few days. I doubt X survives the weekend, so Kelsey could be free to talk soon!

[quote=“scollie41, post:57, topic:22864”][quote=“Niner National, post:51, topic:22864”]A Xavier fan said on the A10 board that a Cinci news station said last night that Kelsey will interview for the Charlotte job after Xavier’s season is over.

Encouraging, but as we all know, you can’t fully trust anything that is posted on a message board. If that were the case Bobby Lutz would still be our head coach.[/quote]

I guess we’ll know more in a few days. I doubt X survives the weekend, so Kelsey could be free to talk soon![/quote]

I think X has a very good shot to get to the round of 8 again. They have been an impressive tournament team as we have ever had as a league mate

from the A10 board

Channel 12 reported last night that Kelsey will interview for the Charlotte job, once Xavier is finished with the tournament.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s just leveraging this for a pay raise from Xavier. We all know there’s no way he will move his family from Cincy to Charlotte. Especially since being an Assoc. Head Coach at Xavier is equal to owning a tropical island full of concubines and is the pinnacle of coaching success only bettered by being head coach at Xavier.

My inside sources say we’re getting Shyatt and there’s nothing you can do about it.