Pat Kelsey (AHC at Xavier)

[quote=“moss2k, post:59, topic:22864”]from the A10 board

Channel 12 reported last night that Kelsey will interview for the Charlotte job, once Xavier is finished with the tournament.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :p[/quote]
this guy has to be the top candidate. he seems to me, to be the least risky out of all of the assistants taht we are considering and we know he can recruit.

[quote=“J Felt, post:60, topic:22864”]He’s just leveraging this for a pay raise from Xavier. We all know there’s no way he will move his family from Cincy to Charlotte. Especially since being an Assoc. Head Coach at Xavier is equal to owning a tropical island full of concubines and is the pinnacle of coaching success only bettered by being head coach at Xavier.

My inside sources say we’re getting Shyatt and there’s nothing you can do about it.[/quote]my sources tell me this post is worth a pile of shyatt.

[quote=“moss2k, post:62, topic:22864”][quote=“J Felt, post:60, topic:22864”]He’s just leveraging this for a pay raise from Xavier. We all know there’s no way he will move his family from Cincy to Charlotte. Especially since being an Assoc. Head Coach at Xavier is equal to owning a tropical island full of concubines and is the pinnacle of coaching success only bettered by being head coach at Xavier.

My inside sources say we’re getting Shyatt and there’s nothing you can do about it.[/quote]my sources tell me this post is worth a pile of shyatt.[/quote]

Look, a Xavier fan told me that Charlotte’s program is a Shyatty job and there’s no point in taking it. Xavier is God’s gift to basketball, Kelsey would be a fool to come here! We’ll never make the NCAAs again, regardless of the coach!

[quote=“moss2k, post:62, topic:22864”][quote=“J Felt, post:60, topic:22864”]He’s just leveraging this for a pay raise from Xavier. We all know there’s no way he will move his family from Cincy to Charlotte. Especially since being an Assoc. Head Coach at Xavier is equal to owning a tropical island full of concubines and is the pinnacle of coaching success only bettered by being head coach at Xavier.

My inside sources say we’re getting Shyatt and there’s nothing you can do about it.[/quote]my sources tell me this post is worth a pile of shyatt.[/quote]just like his avatar

The Pat Kelsey File:
Full Name: Patrick Powers Kelsey
Birth Date: May 15, 1975
Birth Place: Cincinnati, Ohio
Wife: Lisa
Children: daughter Ruthie (born Aug. 13, 2007); daughter Caroline (born Feb. 2009)
College: Xavier University (1998)
Degree: Business Administration - Marketing
High School: Cincinnati Elder High School Playing Career:
1995-98 – Xavier University
1993-94 – University of Wyoming
Coaching History:
2009-2010 Associate Head Coach, Xavier University 2005-09 – Assistant Coach, Wake Forest
2002-04 – Director of Basketball Operations, Wake Forest
1998-2001 – Assistant Coach, Elder High School in Cincinnati, Ohio
Kelsey Bio:
One of the top young assistant coaches in college basketball, Pat Kelsey coached eight seasons on the Wake Forest staff from 2002-09. Kelsey left the program in April of 2009 to be the associate head coach at Xavier University. Kelsey, who spent five seasons as a Demon Deacon assistant coach, saw the program reach new heights. During his time in Winston-Salem, Wake Forest averaged more than 20 wins per season, earned four postseason berths, produced the No. 1 national ranking in two different seasons and won an ACC regular season championship. “Pat is a tremendous asset to our program. He performs every aspect of his job exceptionally well–recruiting, player development and game preparation,” said head coach Dino Gaudio. "There is not a more conscientious, harder-working coach in America than Pat. Our program has grown immensely because of his contributions." In his role, Kelsey was involved in several facets of the Demon Deacon basketball program. He was a tireless recruiter, instrumental in helping Wake Forest sign several recruiting classes that have been ranked among the best in the nation. The Deacons’ 2008 class was ranked No. 3 in the country by Rivals.com, while the class of 2006 was ranked No. 10 in the nation by Rivals. Kelsey played an integral role in garnering the national recruiting accolades, luring in a number of talented players to Winston-Salem. Guard Ishmael Smith was a Freshman All-American in 2007, while forward James Johnson was named All-ACC and finished as runner-up in ACC Rookie of the Year voting in 2008. Most recently, Kelsey recruited five-star prospects Al-Farouq Aminu and Tony Woods into the program. Ranked as the No. 7 recruit nationally in 2008, Aminu went on to earn Freshman All-American honors in 2008-09. Woods, who was ranked No. 20 according to Rivals.com, had a solid season and was in the starting lineup for the Deacons’ 2009 NCAA Tournament game. In addition to his recruiting prowess, Kelsey was also recognized as an excellent teacher and tactician in terms of player development, scouting and game preparation. He worked primarily with the Deacon big men and played a key role in the development of center Chas McFarland. Under Kelsey’s tutelage, McFarland had a breakout season as a sophomore in 2007-08. The 7-0 center led the ACC in per-game scoring improvement, going from 0.7 points per game as a freshman to 8.4 as a sophomore. McFarland continued to develop into one of the best post players in the ACC in 2008-09 and enters his senior season as a two-year starter for the Deacs. Kelsey, a former Division I point guard, was also an innovative marketer. He played a major role in helping create the lively pre-game festivities at all home games, working with former assistant coach Chris Mack and the Wake Forest marketing office to produce the “Tie-Dye Nation” campaign that is now a staple in Wake Forest’s marketing efforts. Kelsey first came to Wake Forest in the spring of 2001, joining Skip Prosser’s first Deacon staff as Director of Basketball Operations. He was then promoted to Assistant Coach prior to the 2004-05 season. He was first associated with Prosser as a standout performer in the Xavier backcourt for three seasons (1996 to 1998), leading the Musketeers to two NCAA Tournament appearances. The former guard served as team co-captain during the 1997-98 season and was voted the team’s Most Inspirational Player in 1996 and 1998. Kelsey began his playing career at Wyoming in 1993-94 before transferring to Xavier. In between his playing days and arriving at Wake Forest, Kelsey spent three years as an assistant coach under coaching great Joe Schoenfeld at powerhouse Elder High School in Cincinnati. Kelsey, a native of Cincinnati and a huge fan of the Reds and Bengals, is a 1998 graduate of Xavier with a degree in business administration - marketing. Kelsey and wife, Lisa, are the parents of two young daughters, Ruthie and Caroline.

[quote=“hky49er, post:65, topic:22864”]The Pat Kelsey File:
Full Name: Patrick Powers Kelsey
Birth Date: May 15, 1975
Birth Place: Cincinnati, Ohio
Wife: Lisa
Children: daughter Ruthie (born Aug. 13, 2007); daughter Caroline (born Feb. 2009)
College: Xavier University (1998)
Degree: Business Administration - Marketing[/quote]
I like that…but worried how that might shake out

I can confirm the Kelsey mention in the Cinci News. I work for a company that’s basically like google for tv, and pulled the transcript. See below:

[font=Verdana][size=10px]the xavier musketeers get readyor their sweet 16 game against kansas state tonight. and one of their assistant coaches could be leaving for a head coaching position. brad johansen is with the team in salt lake. he has the details in sport. good morning cincinnati, from salt lake city. brad johansen with you and the breaking news out of the xavier locker room yesterday was associate head coach pat kelsey, on the interview list for the shot at 49ers head coaching job vacated with the firing of bobby lutz. i talked to pat kelsey after practice. he said he has not yet spoken to charlotte, but likely after xavier’s season, then he will. adding that he’s very happy where he’s at, but would investigate the opportunity. with that he wants xavier’s season to continue past the sweet 16 where they’ve been for the past three seasons. thanks to jordan crawford, they are moving on. averaging 27 and a half points per game in the first two, he will likely lead them against kansas state as a different player than he was on december eighth when they got man-handled in manhattan. they’re looking forwd to a do-over. “if you could take anything away…definitely made us a better team.” so xavier and kansas state will tip it off right around 9:30, 7:00 your time. you’ll see it all right here on local 12. we’ll get you ready for that match-up coming up later on today. from salt lake city, i’m brad johansen, good morning cincinnati.[/size][/font]

[quote=“mattltfd, post:67, topic:22864”]I can confirm the Kelsey mention in the Cinci News. I work for a company that’s basically like google for tv, and pulled the transcript. See below:

[font=verdana][size=10px]the xavier musketeers get readyor their sweet 16 game against kansas state tonight. and one of their assistant coaches could be leaving for a head coaching position. brad johansen is with the team in salt lake. he has the details in sport. good morning cincinnati, from salt lake city. brad johansen with you and the breaking news out of the xavier locker room yesterday was associate head coach pat kelsey, on the interview list for the shot at 49ers head coaching job vacated with the firing of bobby lutz. i talked to pat kelsey after practice. he said he has not yet spoken to charlotte, but likely after xavier’s season, then he will. adding that he’s very happy where he’s at, but would investigate the opportunity. with that he wants xavier’s season to continue past the sweet 16 where they’ve been for the past three seasons. thanks to jordan crawford, they are moving on. averaging 27 and a half points per game in the first two, he will likely lead them against kansas state as a different player than he was on december eighth when they got man-handled in manhattan. they’re looking forwd to a do-over. “if you could take anything away…definitely made us a better team.” so xavier and kansas state will tip it off right around 9:30, 7:00 your time. you’ll see it all right here on local 12. we’ll get you ready for that match-up coming up later on today. from salt lake city, i’m brad johansen, good morning cincinnati.[/size][/font][/quote]

sweet, good find

I think Dino is a mediocre coach too, but no way X > Wake unless you’re just going by the last three years. They have eight elite eights in their history compared to X’s two.

They’ll probably fire Dino after next year and hire Mack.

I think Dino is a mediocre coach too, but no way X > Wake unless you’re just going by the last three years. They have eight elite eights in their history compared to X’s two.

They’ll probably fire Dino after next year and hire Mack.[/quote]

As I wrote in another thread, it is hard to argue against the fact that Xavier is a top 15 program in college basketball right now.

As I wrote in another thread, it is hard to argue against the fact that Xavier is a top 15 program in college basketball right now.[/quote]

They are somewhere up there. Wake still has greater resources and a more rich history. Long term I would still put my money on them.

How about the Zags? 12 straight tournament appearances. Rank them above X?

As I wrote in another thread, it is hard to argue against the fact that Xavier is a top 15 program in college basketball right now.[/quote]

They are somewhere up there. Wake still has greater resources and a more rich history. Long term I would still put my money on them.

How about the Zags? 12 straight tournament appearances. Rank them above X?[/quote]

They are in the same ballpark at this point, but Xavier has done more in their NCAA appearances than Gonzaga.

How about the Zags? 12 straight tournament appearances. Rank them above X?[/quote]

[font=tahoma][size=13px]OVER THE PAST 25 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Xavier 19, Gonzaga 13, Butler 8
NCAA Wins: Xavier 18 (and counting), Gonzaga 15, Butler 8 (and counting)
Sweet 16: Xavier 5, Gonzaga 5, Butler 3
Elite 8: Xavier 2 (and counting), Gonzaga 1, Butler 0 (and counting)

OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Gonzaga 10, Xavier 9, Butler 6
NCAA Wins: Xavier 13 (and counting), Gonzaga 10, Butler 8 (and counting)
Sweet 16: Xavier 4, Butler 3, Gonzaga 2
Elite 8: Xavier 2 (and counting), Butler 0 (and counting), Gonzaga 0

OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Xavier 5, Gonzaga 5, Butler 4
NCAA Wins: Xavier 8 (and counting), Butler 5 (and counting), Gonzaga 5
Sweet 16: Xavier 3, Butler 2, Gonzaga 2
Elite 8: Xavier 1 (and counting), Butler 0 (and counting), Gonzaga 0[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=13px]OVER THE PAST 25 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Xavier 19, Gonzaga 13, Butler 8
NCAA Wins: Xavier 18 (and counting), Gonzaga 15, Butler 8 (and counting)
Sweet 16: Xavier 5, Gonzaga 5, Butler 3
Elite 8: Xavier 2 (and counting), Gonzaga 1, Butler 0 (and counting)

OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Gonzaga 10, Xavier 9, Butler 6
NCAA Wins: Xavier 13 (and counting), Gonzaga 10, Butler 8 (and counting)
Sweet 16: Xavier 4, Butler 3, Gonzaga 2
Elite 8: Xavier 2 (and counting), Butler 0 (and counting), Gonzaga 0

OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS
NCAA Appearances: Xavier 5, Gonzaga 5, Butler 4
NCAA Wins: Xavier 8 (and counting), Butler 5 (and counting), Gonzaga 5
Sweet 16: Xavier 3, Butler 2, Gonzaga 2
Elite 8: Xavier 1 (and counting), Butler 0 (and counting), Gonzaga 0[/size][/font][/quote]

Man… Xavier owns.

yet Butler and Gonzaga get more press.

Man, I hate Xavier, mostly because I wish we had that track record.

No wonder their fans are so damn smug.

I don’t find X fans to be overly smug. I like many of the X fans on the A10 forum and even on Xavierhoops.com. If any one fan base in this league is smug its Dayton.

Dayton fans are unrealistic and annoying.

Xavier fans will show their true sides if they ever start losing.

When this guy shows up, he should be treated like the highest recruit in school history. Go all out with class. Big dinner downtown, maybe 18 at QH. Then shove a piece of paper in front of him for $400k + $300k of incentives. I would script it down to every last detail to get him on the hook.

I tried to bring this up a couple of seasons ago in regards to Davidson.