Penn St BB coaching search

His parents moved to Greenville as well Apex. It’s nice to have a coach teams want though, but Lebo released a statment yesterday.

[url=http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052611aaa.html]http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052611aaa.html[/url] [i][b]Coach Jeff Lebo Addresses Coaching Vacancies Pirates' first-year coach committed to building basketball program [/b] May 26, 2011

GREENVILLE, N.C. — Despite speculation from various national media reports, East Carolina coach Jeff Lebo confirmed Thursday that he hasn’t been contacted about coaching vacancies at any other institutions.
“My family and I are very happy at East Carolina and I am committed to continuing to build the basketball program here,” Lebo reiterated.
"We made great strides this past season and I’m looking forward to the upcoming season" he added, to bring closure to the situation. [/i]

He may still leave but I doubt it, I also have little doubt Fogler contacted him through back channels to guage his interest. He worked on 3 of Foglers staff’s as well as with him at UNC.

-We started Lebo out at a 6 year deal making over 600k here a year, plus a potiental $100k bonus if he goes to the NCAA’s. Penn St’s coach made 800k and the only bonus he could get was 100k for wining a national title. They woulnd’t even give him an extention after a NCAA trip this year. We’re compeditive in what we can pay.

-his parents moved here

-his wifes parents/family live close by

-we are building a new $15 million dollar practice facility next year

-programs on solid ground with 3 starters returning and the best big in CUSA and solid APR scores

I’ve said all along think it will take an above average BCS job to attract him away, and above average BCS jobs don’t re-hire retreads that fall to this level. Lebo’s already seen how tough a job like Auburn was, I really can’t see him leaving a good situation where he is winning, with compeditive salary, commited administration, reasonable expectations from the fan base, and a lot of potiental to grow for a low end BCS job.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:1, topic:25459”]His parents moved to Greenville as well Apex. It’s nice to have a coach teams want though, but Lebo released a statment yesterday.

[url=http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052611aaa.html]http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052611aaa.html[/url] [i][b]Coach Jeff Lebo Addresses Coaching Vacancies Pirates' first-year coach committed to building basketball program [/b] May 26, 2011

GREENVILLE, N.C. — Despite speculation from various national media reports, East Carolina coach Jeff Lebo confirmed Thursday that he hasn’t been contacted about coaching vacancies at any other institutions.
“My family and I are very happy at East Carolina and I am committed to continuing to build the basketball program here,” Lebo reiterated.
"We made great strides this past season and I’m looking forward to the upcoming season" he added, to bring closure to the situation. [/i]

He may still leave but I doubt it, I also have little doubt Fogler contacted him through back channels to guage his interest. He worked on 3 of Foglers staff’s as well as with him at UNC.

-We started Lebo out at a 6 year deal making over 600k here a year, plus a potiental $100k bonus if he goes to the NCAA’s. Penn St’s coach made 800k and the only bonus he could get was 100k for wining a national title. They woulnd’t even give him an extention after a NCAA trip this year. We’re compeditive in what we can pay.

-his parents moved here

-his wifes parents/family live close by

-we are building a new $15 million dollar practice facility next year

-programs on solid ground with 3 starters returning and the best big in CUSA and solid APR scores

I’ve said all along think it will take an above average BCS job to attract him away, and above average BCS jobs don’t re-hire retreads that fall to this level. Lebo’s already seen how tough a job like Auburn was, I really can’t see him leaving a good situation where he is winning, with compeditive salary, commited administration, reasonable expectations from the fan base, and a lot of potiental to grow for a low end BCS job.[/quote]

The Niners have done none of the things you speak of. Delete or edit the “we” crap in your post to ECU or delete your post.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:1, topic:25459”]His parents moved to Greenville as well Apex. It’s nice to have a coach teams want though, but Lebo released a statment yesterday.

-We started Lebo out at a 6 year deal making over 600k here a year, plus a potiental $100k bonus if he goes to the NCAA’s. Penn St’s coach made 800k and the only bonus he could get was 100k for wining a national title. They woulnd’t even give him an extention after a NCAA trip this year. We’re compeditive in what we can pay vs. PSU

-his parents moved here… Money will talk

-his wifes parents/family live close by… Money will talk

-we are building a new $15 million dollar practice facility next year… $15 Mil is chump change compared to what PSU could queef out if necessary

-programs on solid ground with 3 starters returning and the best big in CUSA and solid APR scores… BEST BIG?!?! He sure isn’t known for being the best big.

I’ve said all along think it will take an above average BCS job to attract him away, and above average BCS jobs don’t re-hire retreads that fall to this level. Lebo’s already seen how tough a job like Auburn was, I really can’t see him leaving a good situation where he is winning per ECU standards, with competitive salary, commited administration, reasonable expectations from the fan base b/c they have none, and a lot of potiental to grow for a low end BCS job.[/quote]

Why would Penn State want a coach who has never taken his team to the NCAA tourny in 13 yrs as a head coach? In this matter I think our resident butt pirate is correct. Lebo will have to do something pretty remarkable - win at ECU - for anyone half decent to really be interested.

Dude, it’s Lebo. God’s gift to basketball coaching.

Dude, it’s Lebo. God’s gift to basketball coaching.[/quote]

You are right - sorry! I am sure that Lebo has spent much of his career sucking on purpose because the full coaching might of Lebo would be too much for any mortal man to gaze upon.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:3, topic:25459”]We’re competitive in what we can pay vs. PSU
[/quote]
and a lot of other BCS and quality basketball schools.

-his parents moved here... [b]Money will talk[/b]

-his wifes parents/family live close by… Money will talk

Not always…signed everyone that turned NC State down. Also how rare is it to have both sides of your family with in 20 minutes in this business. It’s a comfortable situation.

-we are building a new $15 million dollar practice facility next year...[b] $15 Mil is chump change compared to what PSU could queef out if necessary [/b]
The better question would be.... are they. They don't have a practice facility at all. They had to practice at an intramural gym during a bon jovi concert that was held in their arena this year I read. They were only paying their coach 709k and he won 27 games and the NIT 2 years ago. We started Lebo at 610k. We are pretty commited right now to build a winner here.
-programs on solid ground with 3 starters returning and the best big in CUSA and solid APR scores... [b]BEST BIG?!?! He sure isn't known for being the best big.[/b]

Big as in big man. I was referring to Darrius Morrow. He killed it late in the year and will likely be the best big man in CUSA next year.

he is winning [b]per ECU standards[/b],
top 100 RPI is a pretty good standard for anyone to meet in year one. Especially coming from where we were at the previous season. That's why the NCAA selection committee tracks the record top 100 as "quality wins"
expectations from the fan base [b]b/c they have none[/b].
Signed 49ers fans, who wanted an Alum coach fired after a good season. Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone and you see what takes it's place.

He did have one of the biggest (positive) RPI turnarounds in the nation last year. As far as his other jobs, Auburn is a tough job to win at, especially consider they were on probation for Cliff Ellis mess for 3 of his 6 years there. He did win 24 games which was second highest in school history and probably should have made it his 5th year. His other previous 2 stops he took over really down programs as well and turned them into winners.

Tennessee Tech hadn’t won 20 games in 50 years and won 8 games the year before he got there. They won 27 his last year. NCAA’s aren’t always the best indicator without looking at the actual jobs he was dealing with. He didn’t get us to the NCAA’s last year but he did an A+ job by most accounts and the previous coach had 5 NCAA’s and a Sweet 16 and didn’t win with the same players here.

You say a lot of stuff but Lebo still sucks. You understand at least that, right?

Best part of this thread, that the season that got Lutz fired was a good season.

I just don’t get how the guy builds Lebo up onto a pedestal but then said coach isn’t good enough for an upper echelon job. It’s like the ultimate backhanded compliment, borderline acceptance of mediocrity.

And trust me StillJonesing… I do not want Lutz back. So there is no, never knew what you had until it was gone situation here.

On the other board, most of your reasonable fans are just hoping to get to back to .500 next year, and they say that will even be tough. If that’s they case for a few more years of this rebuilding, it will be looking like a great season before long. That’s assuming Major can rebuild you back to the 19 wins top 70. At least with Lutz you knew the guy was capable. Ask UNCW how well it worked out running Brownell off and hiring your old assistant. You are only as good as your current coach and it only takes one coach to derail a program or turn it around.

From what I have seen I think Lebo is defiently a good enough coach and would be successful at top jobs. All I have ever said is most top notch schools will likely never give him a chance now that he was fired by an SEC school. I don’t see that as a negative either. I’d like to keep him a long time because I do think he is good and will do good things here. I’ve never found anyone that was fired at a BCS job fell to this level and worked themselves back, but I’ve found plenty that have went on to have long successful decade long careers at this level after being fired from BCS jobs.

Just because you are fired at a BCS school doesn’t mean you aren’t a quality coach and can’t win at this level. Melvin Watkins? He could probably come back to UNCC and win and probably would stay a very long time because it’s HIGHLY unlikely anyone would ever give him a shot at a BCS school again regardless of how well he did. If someone did it would likely be another below average tough job like Penn St, Texas A&M or Auburn where even good coaches struggle and get fired.

The top jobs have plenty of options for equally good coaches. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good coach because he wouldnt’ get a high level BCS job, just that he picked a wrong job when he was younger and struggled in a tough situation and now probably has a limited career ceiling. So why would that be a bad thing if he has a limited ceiling if he still picked up where he left off, and stayed a decade at UNCC?

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:11, topic:25459”]On the other board, …too long to bother reading or quoting it all[/quote] You put a lot of time and energy typing out responses defending your coach and program, extolling something inane about your school that no one here cares about, or bringing up recruits that are considering your team on another team’s board. Why bother?

Until ECU and Lebo does anything worth mentioning, you will continue to get crap here and elsewhere. It’s a colossal waste of time.

Clearly. Nothing says good enough for a place like ECU than a coach with as much experience coaching in the NCAA’s as I have.

Clearly. Nothing says good enough for a place like ECU than a coach with as much experience coaching in the NCAA’s as I have.[/quote]

I want to know what kind of drugs SJ is on. I would pour that shit in the drinking supply. 13 years, 0 tournament appearances and he can still spin Lebo as a good coach? Good grief.

On the other board,[/quote]

What other board?

I can’t believe you guys are still arguing with StillJonesing. Do you really think SJ is an ECU fan? Or do you think it’s Metro who’s pissed we didn’t hire his boyfriend, Lebo? The man he tried to force on us.

He wanted Buzz SCK, not Lebo.

Clearly. Nothing says good enough for a place like ECU than a coach with as much experience coaching in the NCAA’s as I have.[/quote]

He had one of the biggest positive turnarounds in the nation last year. We both fired coaches that went to the NCAA’s and won games there and hired guys to replace them that hadn’t. Obviously that’s not the end all or we wouldnt have fired them to hire the guys we did. I don’t think that’s always the best indicator of success and anyway you cut it the guy we hired did far better with McCarthys players than he did. That guy had coached a team to the Sweet 16 and had been to 5 NCAA’s.

I think you got to look deeper, like what kind of job was it. Were they rebuilding, on probation, facilities relative the rest of your conference etc. There are plenty of coaches that are in cushy situations like Bill Herrion was at Drexel with tons of philly talent competing against American East schools like Vermont and Maine when he was there. So what if they win a couple 3 game autobid tournys and make the NCAA’s, and even get an upset there. He had the #5 best active winning percentage and had been to like 6 NCAA’s and won there and it sure didn’t make that guy a good coach. He was just in a good situation. Guys like Matt Doherity were handed a great jobs on the other end and go to NCAA’s win, looked the part, even won National Coach of the year before he blew it up. He went to an elite 8 with UNC , you think that made him an elite coach?

StillJonesing, we didn’t fire Lutz after a good season. A good season ends with a loss in the NCAA tourney at worst.

We fired Lutz for missing the NCAA Tourney 5 straight yrs, for the record and a hporible 1-7 late season collapse.

He had one of the biggest positive turnarounds in the nation last year. We both fired coaches that went to the NCAA’s and won games there and hired guys to replace them that hadn’t. Obviously that’s not the end all or we wouldnt have fired them to hire the guys we did. I don’t think that’s always the best indicator of success and anyway you cut it the guy we hired did far better with McCarthys players than he did. That guy had coached a team to the Sweet 16 and had been to 5 NCAA’s.

I think you got to look deeper, like what kind of job was it. Were they rebuilding, on probation, facilities relative the rest of your conference etc. There are plenty of coaches that are in cushy situations like Bill Herrion was at Drexel with tons of philly talent competing against American East schools like Vermont and Maine when he was there. So what if they win a couple 3 game autobid tournys and make the NCAA’s, and even get an upset there. He had the #5 best active winning percentage and had been to like 6 NCAA’s and won there and it sure didn’t make that guy a good coach. He was just in a good situation. Guys like Matt Doherity were handed a great jobs on the other end and go to NCAA’s win, looked the part, even won National Coach of the year before he blew it up. He went to an elite 8 with UNC , you think that made him an elite coach?[/quote]

13 years, 0 NCAA tournaments.