Phaler to Charlotte

Charlotte just got a commitment from 6-9 forward Sean Phaler from the class of 2006. Itā€™s a huge commitment for the Niners with the recent loss of Mitch Mullis.
Phaler originally committed to UCLA out of high school, and after a bad car accident ended up at New Mexico, where he played sparingly. He spent two seasons there and is now at Fullerton JUCO. He will have two years of eligibility when he arrives at Charlotte, and should give the Niners another outside threat with his shooting ability. And he can SHOOT it!

Weā€™re talking to him later tonight and will have a lot more up after that.

UNM Player page

UNM Frosh Q & A

He left because his dad has cancer

Ditto on his dad has cancer

Bench player sees time in easy win

Scout.com 2003 recruit - 3 stars

[b]Phaler will play basketball this season at Fullerton JC

By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register

Former Villa Park High basketball player Sean Phaler said Thursday he will play at Fullerton College this season.

Phaler left New Mexico in April to be at home with his father, Walt, who is recovering from prostrate cancer. He said he will play one season for the Hornets and expects to sign with a DivisionI school during the early signing period in November.

Phaler has three years of eligibility remaining. He signed with UCLA out of Villa Park in 2003, but when then-coach Steve Lavin was fired, incoming Bruins coach Ben Howland reportedly told Phaler he would be better off elsewhere.

Phaler landed at New Mexico and redshirted as a freshman after he broke two vertebrae in a car accident. Listed at 6-foot-9 and 195 pounds, Phaler averaged 2.5 points, 1.0 points and 4.1 minutes a game for the Lobos in 2004-05.[/b]

2002 recuiting blurb:

[b]6'9" senior Sean Phaler (Villa Park) has narrowed his college choices down to five schools. UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and Indiana all will receive official visits from the skilled Phaler (a 2001 and 2002 Fullcourt Press All-West Camp "Top 25" all-star selection)...............[/b]

Hey. 6ā€™9! Allright! Nice to know he can shoot. Hope he can defend and rebound too!

Iā€™m not sure how huge the loss of Mullis was, but itā€™s nice to sign somebody that is taller than 6-8. Can he rebound, post up or play good D? If so, that would be huge.

[b]Considered a top-100 prospect in his class, Phaler averaged 19.8 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 4.0 apg and 3.0 bpg as a senior at Villa Park High School ā€¢ A two-time Nike All-American ā€¢ Made 107 shots from 3-point and shot [b]90.2% from the FT line [/b]
[/b]

A free throw shooting big man! Didnā€™t know there was such a thing!

Not to judge on just stats and pictures alone, but it looks like this guy is a ā€˜big manā€™ just like Matas was a ā€˜big manā€™. Meaning, dont look for the post up here :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by Tenniner[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 06:31 PM [b][b]90.2% from the FT line[/b] [/b]
There goes Hootie's chance in the spotlight.

6-9, 195ā€¦ this one will be nice to watch in the weight room. Watch those elbows!

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 06:22 PM [b] [url=http://golobos.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/phaler_sean00.html]UNM Player page[/url]

UNM Frosh Q & A

He left because his dad has cancer

Ditto on his dad has cancer

Bench player sees time in easy win

Scout.com 2003 recruit - 3 stars

[b]Phaler will play basketball this season at Fullerton JC

By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register

Former Villa Park High basketball player Sean Phaler said Thursday he will play at Fullerton College this season.

Phaler left New Mexico in April to be at home with his father, Walt, who is recovering from prostrate cancer. He said he will play one season for the Hornets and expects to sign with a DivisionI school during the early signing period in November.

Phaler has three years of eligibility remaining. He signed with UCLA out of Villa Park in 2003, but when then-coach Steve Lavin was fired, incoming Bruins coach Ben Howland reportedly told Phaler he would be better off elsewhere.

Phaler landed at New Mexico and redshirted as a freshman after he broke two vertebrae in a car accident. Listed at 6-foot-9 and 195 pounds, Phaler averaged 2.5 points, 1.0 points and 4.1 minutes a game for the Lobos in 2004-05.[/b]

2002 recuiting blurb:

[b]6'9" senior Sean Phaler (Villa Park) has narrowed his college choices down to five schools. UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and Indiana all will receive official visits from the skilled Phaler (a 2001 and 2002 Fullcourt Press All-West Camp "Top 25" all-star selection)...............[/b]

[/b]

i think that asian chick is wearing a phaler-o-maniacs shirt next to himā€¦hes either nasty, or just likes asian chicks

and "announced his intention to attend UNM from a hospital bed after being involved in a serious car accident on June 26, 2003 ā€¢ His 2000 Ford Mustang was hit by a semi-truck in the San Diego area, causing the car to flip and go airborne ā€¢The Jaws of Life were required to pry Sean and a friend from the car, who were then airlifted to a local hospital in San Diego ā€¢ The result for Phelar was two chipped vertebrae and being in a back brace for nearly three months. "ā€¦wonder how much that effects his basketball skills now

[/QUOTE] think that asian chick is wearing a phaler-o-maniacs shirt next to himā€¦hes either nasty, or just likes asian chicks[QUOTE]

Here the answer to thatā€¦

Sean, How did you become such a crowd favorite? (Farmington, N.M.)

I donā€™t really know how it happened. I guess the crowd just likes the energy that I bring off the bench. You would have to ask the crowd to get the real answer to that question.

I like that part. Should be interesting.

Another player from the west coastā€¦We need a player from Washington state and we have the west coast covered.

seems like a travis gordonā€¦just he can play basketball well

Stats from last yearā€¦

Stats

Didnā€™t play much, but did score in double digits 3 times(high of 16) and once score 14 pts in 7 minutes.

but he is filling a void we are really going to need after this year so i really donā€™t mind it. Heā€™ll probably average more pt here though.

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 08:54 PM [b] seems like a travis gordon....just he can play basketball well [/b]
Watch your mouth...thanks.

meaning the crowd favoriteā€¦he wasnā€™t bashing anyone dude

[i]Originally posted by C49er+Sep 29 2005, 10:02 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (C49er @ Sep 29 2005, 10:02 PM)

This is all happening so fast. But I like this story, the jaws of life and shit. I hope this young man delivers. He sounds hungry. Maybe heā€™s dangerous.

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 10:35 PM [b] i was talking about crowd favorite...in no way am i hating on travis, maybe you've never been to a game we we're killing someone and the "travis gordon" chant starts up....chill man [/b]
Fair enough. Just checking.

Iā€™m also wondering if Phalerā€™s decision to leave New Mexico factored in the transfer to UNM by Aaron Johnson from Penn State, who would have sat out this season. Johnson was dismissed by Coach Ritchie McKay this week after the former was arrested.

ESPN.com: Arrest led to Johnsonā€™s ouster from Lobos roster

Letā€™s see, the last guy we got with UCLA connections was Rodney Odom.

The shirt said ā€œPhaler Fanaticsā€