Phil Jones

Hmmm… I know he was a late arrival and has attended several different prep schools, but you still have to wonder why it is taking so long to get him cleared. Hopefully it is just the NCAA dragging their feet… This could have a big impact on our season.

I REALLY hope he gets cleared, but it would be just our luck if he didnt…

:unhappy:

[QUOTE]Jones has been able to practice during a “grace period” for new players and the NCAA Clearinghouse process, which reviews eligibility of athletes, has been completed and forwarded to the NCAA.
[/QUOTE]

Jim may want to fine tune this one.

What’s funny is Jim wouldn’t have started snooping if the facebook thing wasn’t found and posted. :wow:

[QUOTE=Max Power;195563]Hmmm… I know he was a late arrival and has attended several different prep schools, but you still have to wonder why it is taking so long to get him cleared. Hopefully it is just the NCAA dragging their feet… This could have a big impact on our season.[/QUOTE]

See my previous post about multiple schools and paperwork. NCAA needs all documents to make a decision. When they have them, I think he’ll be cleared.

“Obviously, we thought this process would have been completed by now, but we don’t play in a BCS conference,” said team spokesman Tom Whitestone.

fixed

If for some reason Jones couldn’t play this season that would be some BS since the fact they let Randolph Morris play for Kentucky last year ( I know its not the same thing but UK had already played a good amount of games).

Hmmm... I know he was a late arrival and has attended several different prep schools, but you still have to wonder why it is taking so long to get him cleared. Hopefully it is just the NCAA dragging their feet... This could have a big impact on our season.

It’s fairly obvious what this is about. The NCAA is chomping at the bit to teach Philly Lutheran a lesson, and they are looking for a non-BCS school to punish.

Jones attended Philly Lutheran but soon left commenting “I thought prep school was supposed to be hard” and got his high school diploma at a legit prep school. Jones passes all the school’s criteria, but he still has to jump through hoops by attending college classes in the summer session.

Following in the tradition of “It’s okay for Matt Leinert to violate NCAA rules by posing in ESPN commercials since he plays at a BCS school.” but “Marcus Bennett loses 2 seasons of eligibility for testing irregularities and exhibition game playing time (coach’s fault, not Bennett’s)”, the NCAA is trying to teach schools a lesson in their own mind-boggling way.

The lesson is: It’s not okay to be a non-BCS school.

[QUOTE=survivor45;195573]Following in the tradition of “It’s okay for Matt Leinert to violate NCAA rules by posing in ESPN commercials since he plays at a BCS school.” but “Marcus Bennett loses 2 seasons of eligibility for testing irregularities and exhibition game playing time (coach’s fault, not Bennett’s)”, the NCAA is trying to teach schools a lesson in their own mind-boggling way.

The lesson is: It’s not okay to be a non-BCS school.[/QUOTE]

Of course, its all about the “benjamins”. The more money a school can possibly bring in to the coffers, the more liberal the interpretation of the rulebook will be.

Same crap that Rodney White went thru his first year with the Niners, sadly we lost him that entire year. I hope this is not like that.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;195577]Of course, its all about the “benjamins”. The more money a school can possibly bring in to the coffers, the more liberal the interpretation of the rulebook will be.[/QUOTE]
Quoted for emphasis.

The NCAA does the more selective investigating than Mike Nifong.

If anything, Phil should be commended by the NCAA by recognizing a bad situation, leaving it, and publicly condemning it.

Remember my 10 Commandments of Niner Basketball??

[I][U][B]49er Basketball 10 Commandments[/B]
[/U][/I]- Thou shalt blame everyone else for our support issues except for ourselves.

• Thou shalt lose valuable assistant coaches every year.
  • Thou shalt recruit high profile recruits that always choose another school instead of Charlotte at the 12th hour.
  • Thou shalt always need JUCO’s and transfers to fill a roster.
  • Thou shalt lose games every year we have no business losing.
  • Thou shalt have poor home attendance every year.
  • Thou students shalt support many other various teams before their own.
  • Thou shalt be “on the bubble” for the NCAA Tourney every year.
  • Thou shalt win “at most” only one postseason game (NCAA/NIT) per year.
    [B]- Thou shalt have at least ONE exciting incoming player every year invloved with one of the following:injury, suspension, eligibility issues, malcontent issues, performance underachiever.
    [/B]
    We are Charlotte!

Every…FU#$ING…Year.

So you would have rather us eaten the scholarship?

[QUOTE=KTown49er;195594]Remember my 10 Commandments of Niner Basketball??

[I][U][B]49er Basketball 10 Commandments[/B]
[/U][/I]- Thou shalt blame everyone else for our support issues except for ourselves.

• Thou shalt lose valuable assistant coaches every year.
  • Thou shalt recruit high profile recruits that always choose another school instead of Charlotte at the 12th hour.
  • Thou shalt always need JUCO’s and transfers to fill a roster.
  • Thou shalt lose games every year we have no business losing.
  • Thou shalt have poor home attendance every year.
  • Thou students shalt support many other various teams before their own.
  • Thou shalt be “on the bubble” for the NCAA Tourney every year.
  • Thou shalt win “at most” only one postseason game (NCAA/NIT) per year.
    [B]- Thou shalt have at least ONE exciting incoming player every year invloved with one of the following:injury, suspension, eligibility issues, malcontent issues, performance underachiever.
    [/B]
    We are Charlotte!

Every…FU#$ING…Year.[/QUOTE]
We already did… remember Wilderness?

remember tatum?

he will not be declared inelgible, i think its just formalities at this point…J4L said they didn’t mention it at the tipoff and I think he asked someone about it and they said it wasn’t a big deal. I don’t think this is something to worry about. I wish PJ would get PT in the exhib game tho.

Those comandments are hilarious. Right on with every one of them.

Marcus Bennett part 2 :cuss:

Niner basketball…its FAN-tastic.

I expect Phil to be declared eligible by the NCAA in early 2008. Seriously.

Is this similar to what Rodney White or Demon Brown went through? I wasn’t around for that but didn’t both have to sit out a year because of eligability issues?

If he is ineligable does he lose a season of eligability or will he keep 4 years?