Phil Jones

Jim may want to fine tune this one.

What’s funny is Jim wouldn’t have started snooping if the facebook thing wasn’t found and posted. :wow:

I should of copyrighted it, so I could sue Jim for stealing my lead.

[QUOTE=CMack124;195642]Is this similar to what Rodney White or Demon Brown went through? I wasn’t around for that but didn’t both have to sit out a year because of eligability issues?

If he is ineligable does he lose a season of eligability or will he keep 4 years?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think he’s going to be declared ineligable. Are you guys even reading what was written? It’s just taking longer. Worst case, he’ll have to sit out the exhibition and this time next week we’ll hear he’s been cleared. It’s not anything suspicious and the way the AD is handling it, I really don’t think there is any violation present to deem him ineligable. Hang in there guys. Remember, yes it is the “luck of the niners” to have something like this happen every season, but it already happedned this year, so let’s just hope and pray he’ll be suited up Saturday to dish it out on some Canadians!

:49ers:

I’m no insider, but my big donor buddy is(Ins. guy). He also says Big Phil has been cleared and that paperwork should be here in the next couple of days. If this guy tells me this, I know his info is reliable. I think Phil suits up for the exhibition as well.

Hopefully Max is right and this is cleared soon. But, why doesn’t someone, like a Bennett, sue there asses in the NCAA and bring some of this stuff to light?

You’re not going to win, but it may bring more unfavorable press to an already embarassed org. Of course, Tark didn’t get anywhere.

[QUOTE=hootie;195740]Hopefully Max is right and this is cleared soon. But, why doesn’t someone, like a Bennett, sue their asses in the NCAA and bring some of this stuff to light?

You’re not going to win, but it may bring more unfavorable press to an already embarassed org. Of course, Tark didn’t get anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Tark did get paid $2.5 million

GW and Temple both have players from Philly Lutheran as well, so we’re not setting any precedent in the A-10 as far as that goes. Anyway, here’s what Gregg Doyel had to say about the school back in February:

Updated: Feb/13/2006 09:12 AM

Kudos for the muckraking, Washington

You know me. Selfish, stingy, angry. So you know this is rare, but here goes: Good job, Washington Post.

The Post has been doing a series of articles on the seamy side of recruiting – personal aside: every side of recruiting is seamy – and came out this weekend with a strong effort on one of the most notorious prep schools anywhere, Lutheran Christian Academy in Philadelphia.

Most college coaches won’t touch a kid from Philly Lutheran. It’s not the kids, they tell me, but the school. Any list of prep schools thought to be grade-giving factories has to include Philly Lutheran, a bunch of college coaches tell me.

The Post went after Philly Lutheran hard, sending a couple of reporters to Philadelphia while having a couple more – and a researcher – working on it from Washington D.C. That’s terrific.

As for any college coach who has had, does have, or will have a player on his roster from Philly Lutheran … you deserve whatever scrutiny is coming your way.

Link: Sportsline.com

GW and Temple both have players from Philly Lutheran as well, so we're not setting any precedent in the A-10 as far as that goes. Anyway, here's what Gregg Doyel had to say about the school back in February:

Link: Sportsline.com

Yep, and I also believe GW was among a bunch of schools that were scared to recruit Phil. Their loss, our gain. As Doyel said, it’s the school not the player.

Phil Jones attended Lutheran Christian Academy, an unaccredited private high school in Philadelphia where, he said, all of the students were basketball players. In his seven months there, he said, class consisted of the coach, Darryl Schofield, giving workbooks to the students to fill out. "I thought prep school was supposed to be hard," Jones said.
Jones, a Brooklyn native, is a senior at Laurinburg Prep in North Carolina. He said he was glad he left Lutheran because universities like Kansas, Virginia Tech and Kentucky indicated that they could not recruit him there.
Some students praise Lutheran.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25preps.html?pagewanted=3&ei=5088&en=b4408741cba1781f&ex=1298523600&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I think you could argue that Phil Jones was not taking advantage of Philly Lutheran and was instead victimized by having any association with the “school”.

Of course, when was the last time the NCAA used common sense in a situation like this? My guess is the NCAA will comb for a violation, find nothing, and begrudgingly allow him to play later this year.

[QUOTE=hootie;195740]Hopefully Max is right and this is cleared soon. But, why doesn’t someone, like a Bennett, sue their asses in the NCAA and bring some of this stuff to light?

You’re not going to win, but it may bring more unfavorable press to an already embarassed org. Of course, Tark didn’t get anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Suing the NCAA would take a nice bankroll of funds, not to mention a likely long, drawn out court case. Most of the players that get screwed don’t have the funds, and the schools they play for don’t want to spend the money either to recoup that eligibility. The NCAA does screw some people out of eligibility, but what exactly would the player be suing them for other than to regain that eligibility? By the time he would get it, most are making money playing pro ball somewhere. They can sue for money, but what money has the player lost? They are still getting their free education and they do not get paid to play, so technically their is no monetary argument in most of the cases. Thus, a judge is not likely to reward anything other than the lost eligibility. A 21-22 year old kid with money-making pro ability is not going to waste their time in court when they can be making money playing pro ball overseas or here. Once they do that, their eligibility is gone anyways. Until the NCAA somehow robs a player of future pro earnings, which would be very hard to prove in court, they will continue to take their time investigating and in making these eligibility decisions.

Found this little gem over on the Fordham board concerning Jones…

[QUOTE]We know that there are a lot schools who put athletics above all else, even their own academic integrity[/QUOTE]

Link: [URL=http://xsorbit31.com/users5/rams/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b6db825d1944b0b1f34ad89040cbba3&topic=3510.0]Charlotte Also Awaiting NCAA Clearinghouse Decision[/URL]

Look what name also popped up on their board, in his own thread:

[URL=http://xsorbit31.com/users5/rams/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b6db825d1944b0b1f34ad89040cbba3&topic=3410.0]Hal Wissel[/URL] :wow:

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;195968]Look what name also popped up on their board, in his own thread:

[URL=http://xsorbit31.com/users5/rams/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b6db825d1944b0b1f34ad89040cbba3&topic=3410.0]Hal Wissel[/URL] :wow:[/QUOTE]

Seems like most of 'em think he was a good coach. :huh:

Look what name also popped up on their board, in his own thread:

Hal Wissel :wow:

Hal Wissel has to have the greatest job in the world: Free Throw Coach.

Hal: Okay, Troy, Let’s see what you got
swish
Hal: Good! Have you ever shot a free throw before?
Troy Murphy: Uhm…I’ve shot thousands upon thousands.
clank
Hal: Okay, try again…but this time aim for the middle of the hoop
swish
Hal: Much better!

So the Fordham people want to punish people who meet admissions criteria by not allowing them to enroll and take classes? Pardon me, but isn’t that the actual point of a university? I guess Harvard is going to have to participate in some sort of Ivy League Clearinghouse to tell them who to admit and who not to.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;195968]Look what name also popped up on their board, in his own thread:

[URL=http://xsorbit31.com/users5/rams/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b6db825d1944b0b1f34ad89040cbba3&topic=3410.0]Hal Wissel[/URL] :wow:[/QUOTE]

NA, I had posted about that a few weeks ago. Funny stuff…

Link to NNN thread: Hal Wissel

Speaking of Fordham, there’s a FU fan on the A-10 board who’s an “expert” on the city of Charlotte in a thread about the recent “Most Dangerous U.S. Cities” list. Over40 and I are trying to set him straight, but to no avail thus far. :rolleyes:

GO NINERS!!!

We are number 8th in the country… kinda sucks

I know it’s been said before… but it becomes morea nd more clear to me everytime i see another school’s forum.

NinerNation.net is without a doubt the best forum…

Props to the Admins!

BTW, here’s the link to the thread on the A-10 board:

A-10 and dangerous cities

[QUOTE=run49er;196008]BTW, here’s the link to the thread on the A-10 board:

A-10 and dangerous cities[/QUOTE]
I’ll join in the fun… This is a little off topic of this thread though…

So I found out today that the school is using a new system for enrollement verification. I needed it for the insurance companies.

But all over the new enrollment verification there is National Student Clearinghouse written all over it. Never said it before.

Thought it might be relevent.