Phil Jones

[QUOTE=Gill2003;195995]We are number 8th in the countryā€¦ kinda sucks[/QUOTE]

We are number 8 for cities with a population over 500,00 people.

[QUOTE=run49er;195994]
Speaking of Fordham, thereā€™s a FU fan on the A-10 board whoā€™s an ā€œexpertā€ on the city of Charlotte in a thread about the recent ā€œMost Dangerous U.S. Citiesā€ list. Over40 and I are trying to set him straight, but to no avail thus far. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

The poster stated he preferred the Bronx over Charlotte because it is built on more of a grid plan.

To each his own.

To get this thread back on topic, Rhode Island is awaiting the certification of THREE players! BTW, top 150 recruit Delroy James was a teammate of Jones at Laurinburg.

[b]URI awaits NCAA's OK of 3 players[/b]

By Paul Kenyon
Providence Journal
November 2, 2006

SOUTH KINGSTOWN ā€“ The roster depth that URI basketball coach Jim Baron has been planning on for this season is at least temporarily on hold.

Three of the Ramsā€™ seven new players, Delroy James, Keith Cothran and Frank Monge, were not allowed to take part in the teamā€™s opening exhibition game last night against Merrimack because they have not been cleared by the NCAA.

ā€œWeā€™re just waiting. We could hear today, tomorrow, any day now,ā€ said Mike LaPrey, URIā€™s new assistant athletic director for communications.

URI is not alone. A number of schools are waiting to have the NCAA certify that incoming players have met all eligibility requirements. All three URI players involved have been practicing regularly with the team under the assumption they will be eligible.

James, a 6-foot-7 wing player, has looked especially good in the early work and is expected to be a significant contributor if and when he is cleared to play. Cothran, a 6-4 swingman from Connecticut, also has been solid and is vying for playing time.

Monge, a 7-foot center form Puerto Rico was a late signee. He was brought in after the team lost J.R. Moore. Moore returned home to Portland ā€“ he is attending Portland State ā€“ to be near his mother, who is battling cancer.

Link: Projo.com

any word?

The whole process is worse than dealing with the federal government. What a beauracracy-laden organziation the NCAA must be if it takes them this long to review transcripts.

[QUOTE=ninerID;196257]any word?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anyone know the latest on this mess?

i imagine 5 oclock is the deadline.

I saw Phil walking away from halton 20 minutes ago carrying his jersey, so he must still be practicing.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;196360]I saw Phil walking away from halton 20 minutes ago carrying his jersey, so he must still be practicing.[/QUOTE]

This just in from Jim Utter via the shoutbox:
[5 Minutes Ago] Jim Utter: FYI. Phil Jones is being allowed to practice by the NCAA until it completes his review, but cannot compete in gamesā€¦ Story coming in a little whle

better than nothing I suppose. Hopefully heā€™s ready for the regular season opener.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;196360]I saw Phil walking away from halton 20 minutes ago carrying his jersey, so he must still be practicing.[/QUOTE]
Guys remember the trouble people can get in for violating NCAA rules, so please letā€™s not speculate things unless we know for sure. I donā€™t want our school or team under speculation of anything because someone on here assumed something. Sorry, not to be hard, but we really canā€™t have the fans screwing us over.

Glad theyā€™re letting him practicing though!

Any word yet?

I havenā€™t heard anything yet, but iā€™m getting antcy because Frodham is reporting a recruit of thiers clearing through the NCAAā€¦ Cā€™mon NCAA, we need him by Saturday!

This is the scenario that has me concerned. The one where he is cleared NEXT MONDAY!

from A10 board:

Itā€™s been reported on the Fordham board that 6-4 guard Herb Tanner (described by WH as probably Fordhamā€™s best recruit) has gotten the okay from the NCAA Clearinghouse. He will enroll in the second semester and be eligible midway through December.

Soā€¦ does anyone know? is Big Phil playing this weekend? we will definitely need him!

lutz said probably not this weekend.

Man! Thatā€™s one of the games we could really use every guy. :ticked:

New info over at Ninerreport. Coach discusses the process and likelihood for a decision before Hofstra.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;197404]New info over at Ninerreport. Coach discusses the process and likelihood for a decision before Hofstra.[/QUOTE]
Do you concur with Ninerball49? Thatā€™s all I want to know!

I want the guy to play, but from what I hear heā€™d get limited minutes anyway. You think it would really be that big a loss if Jones couldnā€™t play vs Hofstra?