Please proofread, before I hit send!

Memphis is not UT-Memphis.
Cincy is not UO-Cincy.
Louisville is not UK-Louisville.
App is not UNC-Boone.
USF is not UF-Tampa.

i wrote a letter too, will post it with response if i get one.

Let me know how the conversation with the wall goes. That’s what it felt like when I suggested using some of the new campaign funds for Med & Law Schools.

"Hello wall."
The wall says nothing.
Like talking to CHP.

I love that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGOfTJTYkWs&feature=related

If it’s on here, Phil has already read it anyway…spelling and grammatical errors and all.

Responses?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;429827]Responses?[/QUOTE]

Not yet.

If it's on here, Phil has already read it anyway...spelling and grammatical errors and all.
I wonder who is Phil's favorite poster. Maybe Metro???

[QUOTE=thelew1014;429768]No matter what is stated on the official seal, when is the last time you heard UNC - Chapel Hill referred to by the media as anything other than “The University of North Carolina[B]?[/B]”[/QUOTE]

added question mark

[QUOTE=Hooner49;429853]added question mark[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I caught that.

[SIZE=2]Chancellor Dubois,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A recent publication by Education Portal, listing the Top 100 engineering schools, ordered by enrollment, has mistakenly listed UNC Charlotte solely as “University of North Carolina.” Our school is listed in 98th.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Link: [URL=https://unccmail.uncc.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://education-portal.com/top_100_engineering_schools.html]http://education-portal.com/top_100_engineering_schools.html[/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Consistently you have said a name change disassociating our University from “The University of North Carolina” would lead to a loss in prestige and respect. What you indicate is a gain of prestige from an institution 135 miles away, but in this list, prestige is torn away from MY University and given to a school I never considered going to.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Chancellor, is this the University you want to run, one that is constantly mistaken for another, has no identity of its own, and is an afterthought in its own city.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Furthermore, the prestige you claim is attached to “UNC” is nothing more than a crutch used to hold up our accomplishments. Freed from our slave name the University would be put in a position to stand on its own two feet, further motivating faculty, staff and students to be the very best in the state of North Carolina. We have the capability to make up the prestige you speak of, and right now, because of you we lack the motivation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As an engineering student myself, there are two blows in this publication, aside from the theft of our accomplishments by another school, the William States Lee College of Engineering is referred to as nothing more than the vague and general “College of Engineering.” Because of this University’s lack desire to stand out from the crowd the various Colleges within are becoming afterthoughts, instead of being seen individually.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]With enrollment at 24,500 this semester, the time before we surpass UNC-Chapel Hill in students is fast approaching, but there is only one way we can equal them or surpass them in respect. The time for a name change is upon us sir, ultimately it is unavoidable. Do you want to be remembered as the Chancellor that launched us into the future, or a Chancellor that held us back.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Charles A. Pipkins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The University of North Carolina at Charlotte[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]William States Lee College of Engineering[/SIZE]
[U]_____________________________________________[/U]

[QUOTE][SIZE=2]Dear Charles:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]We’ll contact Education Portal and get the corrections made if we can. I understand how you feel about the name issue but, as it pertains to this particular listing, you’ll note that Education Portal had similar problems in the listing of other multi-campus systems, including the University of California, the California State University, and the University of Wisconsin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]We’ll just have to agree to disagree on the name change. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Phil D.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=2]is disagreeing to disagree an option CHP?
[/SIZE]

Haha. I love it. His response can be summed up in two ways:

“As you can see, other schools have this problem, so it’s no big deal. Get over it. I don’t really care what you think.”

or

“LALALALALALALALA I’M NOT LISTENING! I CAN’T HEAR YOU!! NO PROBLEMS HERE!!! NONE AT ALL! BLAME THEM! NOT ME!”

He has an inability to hide his arrogance.

Chancellor Dubois sent me a reply, told me that he would make sure the corrections were made on Education Portal.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;429768]Chancellor Dubois,

You have continually stated that you are against the thought of changing the name of our University, referring to the ‘prestige’ of the University of North Carolina system.

However, time and time again, evidence arises that rather than the University of North Carolina name adding prestige to our University, we are adding prestige to the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill at our own expense. This list, compiled by Education Portal, lists the 100 largest American colleges and universities which offer degrees in any discipline of engineering. Towards the bottom of the list, at #98, is “The University of North Carolina… College of Engineering… Charlotte, NC… 21,519”

Is this course of action, where we have no name of our own, really what is ‘best’ for our University? I truly do understand your belief in the University system, and your experience with the University of California. The difference, however, is that the University of California has never had a true flagship university which brands itself strictly as “The University of California.” Even on the East Coast, where many of us are oblivious to all that goes on four hours behind us, the flagship is most commonly referred to as “UC Berkeley”. No matter what is stated on the official seal, when is the last time you heard UNC - Chapel Hill referred to by the media as anything other than “The University of North Carolina.”

Every day, our stubbornness and the false hope that one day the University of North Carolina system will have the same equality as the University of California system drives our fine University deeper and deeper into the depths of irreparable misnomer and obscurity.

Chancellor, the time has come. It is time for us to allow ourselves to stand on our own too feet, rather than hunched [B]over under [/B]the ceiling of another school’s name.

Thank you for your time,
Lewis Morgan
UNC Charlotte c/o 2012
President, AIGA UNC Charlotte
mlmorgan@uncc.edu

P.S. Here is the link to the website that I mentioned: http://education-portal.com/top_100_engineering_schools.html

Our ‘name’ appears about halfway down the page.[/QUOTE]

Great letter. The bold part is very awkward. I would rewrite it to avoid the back to back contradictory prepositions.

[QUOTE=49or bust;429783]Agree.

Love the initiative, Lew. Hope more people will follow suit and help the campaign.[/QUOTE]

This is good…very good!

Wanna make a point to him? Everyone pick one example from the name confusion log. With that one point, send him an email. Imagine him getting hundreds of emails throughout the week about the name change, with proof to back it up.

Screw this agree to disagree ****.

[QUOTE=J Felt;429891]Haha. I love it. His response can be summed up in two ways:

“As you can see, other schools have this problem, so it’s no big deal. Get over it. I don’t really care what you think.”

or

“LALALALALALALALA I’M NOT LISTENING! I CAN’T HEAR YOU!! NO PROBLEMS HERE!!! NONE AT ALL! BLAME THEM! NOT ME!”

He has an inability to hide his arrogance.[/QUOTE]

Let’s get this guy fired.NOW!!!

Wanna make a point to him? Everyone pick one example from the name confusion log. With that one point, send him an email. Imagine him getting hundreds of emails throughout the week about the name change, with proof to back it up.

Screw this agree to disagree ****.

Don’t forget to CC people like Ruth Shaw on all of these emails.

They need to hear about it.

Classic Phil response to itsbraille49’s letter.

“um…well…You should note that…um…other schools aren’t getting credit for their achievements either…so…um… we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this”

He’s become the epitome of the proverbial ostrich with it’s head in the sand.

He always ends this type of thing with “agree to disagree”.