Poll: Do you have faith in Coach Sanchez?

I would change my vote. I need Sanchez to convince me that I am wrong. I don’t think we are going to win all of our games, but I want that mf’er to get pissed when we are playing like we did tonight. I know I do.

2 Likes

You actually can change your vote.

Thanks. For those like me that didn’t know, click on Show Vote and you can change it. I did.

My reply stays the same, as all our losses have been the same. If he isn’t going to change, he needs to be let go.

1-3 after a 4 game homestand ----against the teams we have played. HTH anyone can still have faith in Sanchez is beyond me. Arguably our worst ever home stretch since Halton opened, especially when you consider the opponent quality.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, we learned some lessons I’m sure.

2 Likes

yeah, Alan Major 2.0.

I feel like someone should tell Sanchez that 54% of the 87 fans we have left do not have faith in him. He needs to know.

There was a replay on last weekend of UVA’s national championship game in 2019. I watched a few minutes of it and what jumped out of it was that they took the same shots out of their offense that we do. They just had guys who could make those shots. We don’t.
This being the Covid year I’m not going to judge coach, but if I were to judge…

I wanted Bobby fired because it was the right time. I still believe that. I now believe we should bring him back because it’s the right time. Once back he’ll rejuvenate us and never want to leave, thus focusing all his energy into Niner basketball and not longing to go elsewhere. Dreaming cause I’m damn tired of losing.

3 Likes

I want the good times back too, but Coach Lutz is 62, and recruited based on our league. He hasn’t gotten another HC job since he left here. I respect him and have fond memories of what he did here, but he isn’t the answer.

He had chances to be a HC again, but none were great jobs.

Lutz would bring the fire back. He should have never been fired. Keep in mind, ole Roy is 70.

2 Likes

Yes, he should have been fired. His results were diminishing. The fact that the hires after him haven’t worked doesn’t mean Lutz. Should have kep his job.

1 Like

Looking back at what Bobby was able to accomplish is amazing. I’m starting to think who we are now is just who we are. That 1990-2005 run is the anomaly.

I was fine letting Bobby go when we did, all though his firing was more Judy and Phil disliking him not performance. He had lost his edge thigh. It’s painfully obvious that letting him go has been a huge mistake. His low water marks would qualify as success today.

1 Like

Actually, it might. Perhaps he just knew how to get the most out of this program. Clearly the 3 since him haven’t been able to.
Edit: I see nwa beat me to it, but I think we are saying similar things.

What was Bobby’s record when he got fired? 18 or 19 wins…I can’t remember.

I think a lot of the people who were happy with Bobby being fired & still say it was time to move on thought that we could hire someone much better who would take us to the next level. Instead we did just the opposite. I didn’t follow things on NNN back then and was honestly kind of confused as to why he was fired. Sounds like there were a lot of politics involved but in my opinion it was obviously the wrong decision. That’s easy to say in hindsight but I just don’t understand how anyone can still defend that decision with the path we have taken since.

Most of the Bobby years were fun, no one can deny that.

1 Like

You say you were confused why he was fired. Bottom line our schedule got easier when we moved to the A-10 but the results didn’t get better.

From 98-2005 Bobby went 135-83 with 5 NCAA tourny bids and 1 NIT bit.

We move to the A-10 05-10 and he goes 83-75 with two NIT’s and no NCAA tourny bids…

It’s been hashed on here many times by guys even older than me, (I was in school from 99-05) but he for sure got worse in the A-10 and Phil/Judy didn’t like keeping him around when he wasn’t bringing in NCAA tourny revenue.

The main kicker is Phil and Judy thought they were such great leaders they could just plug in the next guy to fix it… that obviously wasn’t the case, Major was a joke, Price ended up being another joke. I’m sure there was an “oh shit” moment inside closed doors at one point in the last 9 years but you wouldn’t get them to admit it publicly. As NWA says, I’m worried those were the glory days and we won’t get back there, I am starting to think we are more a Southern Illi who had a flash in the pan few good years and not a butler or VCU that was able to sustain it…