Poll: What if we are worse next year

Unless a miracle happens in the cusa tournament, Price’s 2nd year will be worse than his 1st year. With the players we lose and the recruits currently signed, there is a real possibility Price’s 3rd year could be his worst yet. IF that is the case, what should the AD do with coach Price?

If his 3rd year is his worst, I say cut losses and try again.

Price is #family now, he’s not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Interesting if Duke had taken that same attitude then wonder where Coach K would be right now. If UNC had done the same wonder what the Dean Smith center would be instead. Gary Williams would have been out of Maryland. No Mckillop at Davidson.

I am not saying Price will be any of those coaches but just remember that some highly successful college coaches didn’t had worse records in their third year than the first two!

I think another answer should have been available that stated [size=10pt]“Let Price stay until Judy and CHP are gone.”[/size]

Signing 5* recruit to 250 RPI school in a bottom feeder conference. Right…

Some solid threes with size get us into the CUSA mix. The recruiting pipeline takes a while to build. I would hope he gets one or two guys he believes in for 2019 along with some transfers of under the radar d2 or juco guys.

Bottom line I think and hope he gets at least 5 years to recover from a completely empty cupboard.

clt says to hire bilas

[quote=“winsel1081, post:3, topic:30837”]Interesting if Duke had taken that same attitude then wonder where Coach K would be right now. If UNC had done the same wonder what the Dean Smith center would be instead. Gary Williams would have been out of Maryland. No Mckillop at Davidson.

I am not saying Price will be any of those coaches but just remember that some highly successful college coaches didn’t had worse records in their third year than the first two![/quote]

Those are the exceptions not the rule. There are for more coaches that suck and then keep sucking.

I think there is an eye test that you can apply to a team and get a good indication of the coach is the right guy for the job. I do not think you need 4 or 5 years to figure it out. It’s not just Ws and Ls, it’s how the team plays. Our team, defensively, is beyond terrible and I don’t think it’s all talent.

Defense is half heart. If I don’t see significant improvement next year on our defensive intensity then I’ll be ready to move on.

Managing the roster is also part of the job. I get that he was behind the 8 ball year 1, but if we go into next season with a roster as flawed as this one I’m going to be very upset. While the game has become more guard oriented, you still need height in the Post. You know, I know it and I hope the staff can correct it. If they can’t land serviceable post players in year 3 then I think you have to really question if we have the right guy.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think this.

[quote=“cltniners, post:6, topic:30837”]clt says to hire bilas[/quote] AD? Coach? Manager? All three?

Four or five star recruits? Yeah I don’t see that happening and that’s not an indictment on Price.

Unless next year is a complete disaster ie low single digit wins, I would give Price year 4. I am not happy about the way this season has gone but I think he deserves 4 years to see what he can do.

[quote=“switchfoot, post:10, topic:30837”]Four or five star recruits? Yeah I don’t see that happening and that’s not an indictment on Price.

Unless next year is a complete disaster ie low single digit wins, I would give Price year 4. I am not happy about the way this season has gone but I think he deserves 4 years to see what he can do.[/quote]
We have to extend him for recruiting at some point (If that is the path we are taking).

clt says bilas for head coach, lutz for AD, and Vani Hari for chancellor

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:7, topic:30837”][quote=“winsel1081, post:3, topic:30837”]Interesting if Duke had taken that same attitude then wonder where Coach K would be right now. If UNC had done the same wonder what the Dean Smith center would be instead. Gary Williams would have been out of Maryland. No Mckillop at Davidson.

I am not saying Price will be any of those coaches but just remember that some highly successful college coaches didn’t had worse records in their third year than the first two![/quote]

Those are the exceptions not the rule. There are for more coaches that suck and then keep sucking.

I think there is an eye test that you can apply to a team and get a good indication of the coach is the right guy for the job. I do not think you need 4 or 5 years to figure it out. It’s not just Ws and Ls, it’s how the team plays. Our team, defensively, is beyond terrible and I don’t think it’s all talent.

Defense is half heart. If I don’t see significant improvement next year on our defensive intensity then I’ll be ready to move on.

Managing the roster is also part of the job. I get that he was behind the 8 ball year 1, but if we go into next season with a roster as flawed as this one I’m going to be very upset. While the game has become more guard oriented, you still need height in the Post. You know, I know it and I hope the staff can correct it. If they can’t land serviceable post players in year 3 then I think you have to really question if we have the right guy.[/quote]

Sure there are alot of coaches that suck and keep on sucking. I am just pointing out that three years would have caused two of the greatest coaches ever to have been fired. Therefore basing a decision merely on his record next year would just cause more issues.

You are right though if you look at the roster following next year and make a determination on that plus the record as to what needs to occur.

I like so many things about Price and really want him to succeed but if doesn’t get some players in here he’s not gonna make it long term.

We aren’t going to get the Lonzo Ball’s of the world but we need to be getting better talent than the rest of CUSA. I can’t imagine that it’s easier to recruit to Huntington, WV than Charlotte, NC.

Hell, Alan Major got talent here and that really is not debatable considering that the guys he had here and coming here are ACC contributors.

[quote=“hootie, post:14, topic:30837”]I like so many things about Price and really want him to succeed but if doesn’t get some players in here he’s not gonna make it long term.

We aren’t going to get the Lonzo Ball’s of the world but we need to be getting better talent than the rest of CUSA. I can’t imagine that it’s easier to recruit to Huntington, WV than Charlotte, NC.

Hell, Alan Major got talent here and that really is not debatable considering that the guys he had here and coming here are ACC contributors.[/quote]

He did and then many of them left - which should make you question what he was selling. I don’t know how Mark sells things, but I have a feeling maybe he is being too honest. With Woods and Dorn he seemed to not be interested in playing the game. I am sure 2k has better line of site to this than most of us.

I think we found out two years ago what $500k will buy you in a coach, and Price may truly be the best we can get for that. Unless we have a plan for spending one million I see little point in changing now. I have no doubt that if Price could suit up he would know where to be on the court at all times. He is a basketball genius, I really believe that, and he has the trophies to prove it, but coaching is about getting kids that are not basketball geniuses to do it and I don’t think he has that figured out yet. I just have to hope that he will. Losing is not in his DNA and this must be making him as miserable as it is making me. I think we have to ride this out for another couple of years and give Price sufficient time to learn how to be a coach. Sadly, if he cannot turn it around, we may have dug the hole so deep that only another Jeff Mullins can get us back on track, and that was a once in a lifetime thing.

No, we found out what our AD can do without using a search firm and relying on donors.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:15, topic:30837”][quote=“hootie, post:14, topic:30837”]I like so many things about Price and really want him to succeed but if doesn’t get some players in here he’s not gonna make it long term.

Hell, Alan Major got talent here and that really is not debatable considering that the guys he had here and coming here are ACC contributors.[/quote]

He did and then many of them left - which should make you question what he was selling. I don’t know how Mark sells things, but I have a feeling maybe he is being too honest. With Woods and Dorn he seemed to not be interested in playing the game. I am sure 2k has better line of site to this than most of us.[/quote]
How many with actual talent left? I can’t remember everyone but Clark didn’t do anything when he left. Henry, Clayton, Thorne, Williams were here entire time. Lester was graids. Ingram is the one guy that comes to mind that hurt to lose. Obviously Woods/Dorn once he was let go. I am sure I am missing people but I don’t remember losing that much true talent.

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:18, topic:30837”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:15, topic:30837”][quote=“hootie, post:14, topic:30837”]I like so many things about Price and really want him to succeed but if doesn’t get some players in here he’s not gonna make it long term.

He did and then many of them left - which should make you question what he was selling. I don’t know how Mark sells things, but I have a feeling maybe he is being too honest. With Woods and Dorn he seemed to not be interested in playing the game. I am sure 2k has better line of site to this than most of us.[/quote]
How many with actual talent left? I can’t remember everyone but Clark didn’t do anything when he left. Henry, Clayton, Thorne, Williams were here entire time. Lester was graids. Ingram is the one guy that comes to mind that hurt to lose. Obviously Woods/Dorn once he was let go. I am sure I am missing people but I don’t remember losing that much true talent.[/quote]

Talent isn’t the only thing to look at. There is value in roster stability, not to mention the APR impact of a roster that is constantly in flux.

Let’s see the players Major couldnt keep:
Spears - Behavior
Ingram - Transfer
Clark - Transfer
EVic - Transfer
Big Phil - Grades
Lester - Grades
Bryan - Transfer
KJ - Transfer
Demario - Rules
Luka - Stuff
Gohkan - Back Home
Deuce - Transfer

And I might be missing some.

Price needs 5 years, maybe 6. If we don’t have serious buzz around the Program in Year 5 or 6, which for some may be too long, then the Price experiment is over. He will resign before being fired. Next year will be more of the same. Maybe they will surprise us all, but Year 4 should be a significant improvement and Year 5 should be talk of NCAA Tournament and winning the conference. I’m being optimistic here, but we didn’t hire Price to run a “middle of the pack” 13-16 win team every year. And if that’s the case by Year 5, he resigns.