Poll: What if we are worse next year

^ I didnā€™t say a 100 RPI was good or the long term goal BUT jumping up 100+ RPI spots in a year is rare I would imagine. Especially after being in the 200s for the last several years. I would rather be a 100 RPI team and argue on here about not making NIT over why canā€™t we get out of 200s.

[quote=ā€œs9er, post:23, topic:30837ā€][quote=ā€œwinsel1081, post:3, topic:30837ā€]Interesting if Duke had taken that same attitude then wonder where Coach K would be right now. If UNC had done the same wonder what the Dean Smith center would be instead. Gary Williams would have been out of Maryland. No Mckillop at Davidson.

I am not saying Price will be any of those coaches but just remember that some highly successful college coaches didnā€™t had worse records in their third year than the first two![/quote]

This line of reasoning always makes me laugh.[/quote]

No more than wanting to fire a coach just because his third season is worse than the first two make me laugh.

There is a lot more to look at than just record alone.

If we are markedly worse next year does it really matter what we do. We are a bottom 10% D1 basketball program now. We are barely above just fielding a program and not losing too much money in the processā€¦

Has anyone thought about getting the AD and coach fired and starting over again? What a novel concept. Yā€™all should get the ball rolling on this right here on this board. Git 'er done yā€™all. Donā€™t drop the ball on this. The more posts the better. Go NINERS!!

Is coaching the only profession where you can trend downwards 3 straight years and it can still be seen as ā€œnot enough timeā€?

[quote=ā€œcibik02, post:41, topic:30837ā€]^ I didnā€™t say a 100 RPI was good or the long term goal BUT jumping up 100+ RPI spots in a year is rare I would imagine. Especially after being in the 200s for the last several years. I would rather be a 100 RPI team and argue on here about not making NIT over why canā€™t we get out of 200s.[/quote] It doesnā€™t happen every year to every team, but the Niners have almost done that twice in the last 10 years (by our last two fired coaches):

2012: 167
2013: 68

2009: 209
2010: 77

Caveat: they were in much better leagues at the time, so that helps. I also think the Niners will be slightly better next year, so it might not actually be a 100+ drop to be somewhere larger than 100 at year 4.

I wonā€™t argue preferring to be top 200, thatā€™s obviously better. This probably isnā€™t worth discussing all that much, but I do think it raises an interesting question: say Priceā€™s teams do show improvement to end up somewhere between 100 and 150 in the team ratings of your choice, does that kind of improvement without actually getting anywhere near post-season tournament play and without clear recruiting success suggest that Price is a good long-term solution, meaning an extension? You look at more than just rpi, but 4 years without even sniffing CBI would make things pretty tough I think even if weā€™re better than we were in the depths of the current situation. The last two coaches got an extension for NIT appearances, and I think both of those turned out to be mistakes, so in this hypothetical youā€™d be giving Price an extension without even that level of success.

Hopefully itā€™s all moot after the Niners make the NCAAā€™s in year 4ā€¦

If we continually fire coaches after one or two years I would understand it would make Charlotte an undesirable spot for a head coaching position. Or even firing a coach mid-season.

But that isnā€™t happening.

I think year three should be the year you pretty much know what you have in a coach. If we improve considerably next year to low 100s in RPI, I donā€™t think thatā€™s enough unless we land some promising recruits.

Prices strength IMO will be player development, specifically with guards. I think we could see this pay off in year three. If not, itā€™ll be tough to support a fourth year with him as our coach.

clt thinks Allison Brie could coach us up.

[quote=ā€œwinsel1081, post:42, topic:30837ā€][No more than wanting to fire a coach just because his third season is worse than the first two make me laugh.

There is a lot more to look at than just record alone.[/quote]

Yes, likeā€¦

Lack of a win against anyone in the top 150 RPI
Lack of defense
Lack of recruiting (year 2)

In fact, if anything, Price has been remarkably consistent. Even Major pulled off upsets, preseason tournament wins, and recruited well. When you have inconsistency (like with Major) I understand the pause, but Price has been incredibly consistent. He loses to teams above a certain level, and wins vs only bottom feeders. His teams shoot free throws well and we are decent at 3 point shooting. We cannot defend or rebound (minus 1 player, a 5th year transfer last year).

No one is calling for him to go, now. What we are saying is that he has done nothing for us to believe that he will succeed in year 3.

In fact, most of us donā€™t want him gone in year 3 even if we are awful - unless Judy is gone.

Actuallyā€¦ The ONLY thing that matters is the record. Everything else is window dressing.

So were is Alan Major coaching now?

[font=Verdana][size=2]Recruiting director back at Ohio State[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/alan_major_1020560.html[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Recruiting director back at Ohio State[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/alan_major_1020560.html[/size][/font][/quote]

Although Thad Matta is on the edge of the hotseat, so Major may be available again soon for any programs looking for a slightly used Head Coach.

Thanks. Seems like Major found his niche in the back office.

What if we are better next year, but having adjusted to mediocracy, we as fans canā€™t handle the success and commit group suicide over the pressure?

Judy would finally be able to retire in peace, with her goals accomplished.

Judy would finally be able to retire in peace, with her goals accomplished.[/quote]

;D ;D :)) :)) :))

[quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:55, topic:30837ā€]What if we are better next year, but having adjusted to mediocracy, we as fans canā€™t handle the success and commit group suicide over the pressure?[/quote]mediocracy? That sounds like a reality where unfit people run the government. Iā€™d argue we have been a mediocracy for years and are trending more towards a failocracy.

Iā€™m an old fart now I must admit. However, back in the day we Niners were most concerned about how we could fully compete with the nearby Aye See See programs, and why we were not getting a higher seed. Today we Niners are not even competitive with UNC-A, UNC-G, and UNC-W! This has to be one of the biggest slides in D1 MBB. I donā€™t know the answer but whatever it is weā€™ve been doing, please stop doing it!