Poll: Your feelings about UNC-CH

This is a poll to get an actual empirical figure on this message board’s feelings about UNC-CH.

Wasnt there one like this already?

My wife is a Carolina girl and she is wonderful. She is a typical Carolina alum. She doesn’t care about sports teams (she might scoreboard our State friends after a big win or loss, but they seek her out when State wins and she doesn’t mind too much), but has no real love for Charlotte and my feelings for the school. She did bandwagon the National Championship team, but has no desire to go to the bowl game. The last UNC sporting event I attended with her was the game v. Charlotte in Chapel Hill (99?).
She was a bit miffed at me for getting a couple of FSL’s, but more because she hates how her Carolina or State season ticket holders are slaves to when they play. We live in Greensboro and has seen the State/UNC husbands head to Raleigh at 6:00AM and return at 11:00PM drunk and nasty. I think that looks like fun and that might be part of the problem.
I’ve got two little girls who are Carolina fans, but my little doesn’t know the difference between the Heels and the Panthers.
My wife and girls do have some Carolina gear around the house and my oldest has accused me of being a Duke fan because I don’t like Carolina. They also are the age where they sing the “Duke is Puke/Wake is fake” song.
We have gone to Chapel Hill several times and spent the day there. It’s a great college town if you can get past all the pale blue.

Every now and then I’ll rant about the “Man” holding Charlotte down to my wife and she’ll give me the eye roll.

Also, for the single guys out there, back in '93 when my wife and I started dating, her friends thought I was the deal. Why? Because I was nice to my future wife, took her out on real dates (not keg parties at the house) and was generally a good guy. These types of guys simply did not go to Chapel Hill. The arrogant jackass vibe was on display everywhere I went and her buddies always wanted to know if I had brothers or friends for them. Of here 10 or so best friends, only one married a Carolina guy (there was a shotgun involved).

So I’ve got no love for the Heels and root against them like I root against most ACC teams, but I’m not going into seizures when my little girls wear a carolina shirt to school either.

Tintin

My girlfriend is a current UNC-CH student, and a rabid fan of every sports team at that school. She came to the Youngstown game on Sunday and had a good time, and was cheering pretty loudly for the Niners by the time it was over. She knows how I feel about the Tar Heels and she loves to rub it in every time they win big. I think she has softened my feelings on UNC-CH a little bit, but I still wouldn’t be caught dead pulling for them or wearing a shirt from there (though the girlfriend does have a Charlotte shirt now).

Who gives a ****??? Why do we keep bringing this up? The top two threads right now have UNC ch in the title.

I don’t know why we ever have a thread with them in it.

Who gives a ****??? Why do we keep bringing this up? The top two threads right now have UNC ch in the title.

I don’t know why we ever have a thread with them in it.

I agree- dead horse

the reason its on fire right now is because we have our first 2 posters in NNN history openly coming out of the closet (strike that. Jimhat is 3)

My girlfriend is a current UNC-CH student, and a rabid fan of every sports team at that school. She came to the Youngstown game on Sunday and had a good time, and was cheering pretty loudly for the Niners by the time it was over. She knows how I feel about the Tar Heels and she loves to rub it in every time they win big. I think she has softened my feelings on UNC-CH a little bit, but I still wouldn't be caught dead pulling for them or wearing a shirt from there (though the girlfriend does have a Charlotte shirt now).

deep down every UNC CH alum thinks Franklin St is where God resides, and your alma mater is inferior in every way. Some just hide it better.

deep down every UNC CH alum thinks Franklin St is where God resides, and your alma mater is inferior in every way. Some just hide it better.

He did make the sky Carolina Blue.

if 49timestheloving had a dollar for every time he beat a dead horse…

Why isn’t “I hope an a-bomb lands on Chapel Hill while they are playing Duke on ESPN” a choice?

so who are the 2 NNN members who’d root for the Heels over Niners.

I care about UNC-Chapel Hill almost as much as Roy Williams and Mike Persinger care about my opinions.

[QUOTE=metro;371982]deep down every UNC CH alum thinks Franklin St is where God resides, and your alma mater is inferior in every way. Some just hide it better.[/QUOTE]
This reminds me that prior to the establishment of the NC Zoo in Asheboro, state leaders approached Senator Jesse Helms about sponsoring a bill for funds to make that happen. He remarked that the state could create a zoo by just putting a fence around Chapel Hill! :tongue:

People are forgetting the real reason to hate UNC-CH. Who cares about the students or the campus…

The real problem is their administration’s lobbying to thwart Charlotte’s growth as a University.

When Charlotte attempts to become part of the State System, who lobbies against it? UNC-CH.

Charlotte is to become the 4th University of the state system? UNC-CH pushes the NC government to open the floodgate with 14(?) more Universities, diluting Charlotte’s influence.

The city needs a medical program, UNC-CH pushes for a satellite campus. The city wants a law program, UNC-CH lobbies for a private group instead of a wing at Charlotte. UNC-CH argues against football. UNC-CH lobbied against Charlotte becoming a doctoral university.

From every action, it appears that UNC-CH does not want to share state funds, so they attempt to block most programs.

[QUOTE=run49er;371994] He remarked that the state could create a zoo by just putting a fence around Chapel Hill! :tongue:[/QUOTE]

may be the single, most valuable statement ever uttered by good 'ole Jesse.

This reminds me that prior to the establishment of the NC Zoo in Asheboro, state leaders approached Senator Jesse Helms about sponsoring a bill for funds to make that happen. He remarked that the state could create a zoo by just putting a fence around Chapel Hill! :tongue:

Another reason to love Jesse!!!:lol:

People are forgetting the real reason to hate UNC-CH. Who cares about the students or the campus....

Obvoiusly you haven’t seen our back and forth rants on other threads…

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;371996]People are forgetting the real reason to hate UNC-CH. Who cares about the students or the campus…

The real problem is their administration’s lobbying to thwart Charlotte’s growth as a University.

When Charlotte attempts to become part of the State System, who lobbies against it? UNC-CH.

Charlotte is to become the 4th University of the state system? UNC-CH pushes the NC government to open the floodgate with 14(?) more Universities, diluting Charlotte’s influence.

The city needs a medical program, UNC-CH pushes for a satellite campus. The city wants a law program, UNC-CH lobbies for a private group instead of a wing at Charlotte. UNC-CH argues against football. UNC-CH lobbied against Charlotte becoming a doctoral university.

From every action, it appears that UNC-CH does not want to share state funds, so they attempt to block most programs.[/QUOTE]

Is there proof for all of this, or is this all hearsay or speculation?

so who are the 2 NNN members who'd root for the Heels over Niners.

I was one, and though I know I’m going to get bashed anyways, I will say that I would have preffered an “it depends” option…

If Charlotte were to play UNC tonight, I’d pull for UNC. If UNC had lost to Valpo or anyone else earlier this year, I’d pull for Charlotte. To me, it matters what effect the outcome will have on the respective team. If Charlotte is playing UNC in the tourney and they have a realistic chance at winning the title, I’d be pulling for Charlotte. If it’s obviously just an upset situation and the Heels have a chance to cut down the nets, I’m pulling for the Heels. In regular season baseball, I’m pulling for Charlotte. If it’s the regionals and we’re talking same situation, upset but no real shot at title (although looking at Fresno I guess anyone has a shot) then I’m pulling for Heels.

Some of you can call it bandwagon, but bottom line, I want championships for my schools. If both have a shot at a title, I’m going with Charlotte since obviously they need it more than Carolina to build.

Edited to add that I have degrees from both schools. Thanks for the reminder SF.

I was one, and though I know I'm going to get bashed anyways, I will say that I would have preffered an "it depends" option...

If Charlotte were to play UNC tonight, I’d pull for UNC. If UNC had lost to Valpo or anyone else earlier this year, I’d pull for Charlotte. To me, it matters what effect the outcome will have on the respective team. If Charlotte is playing UNC in the tourney and they have a realistic chance at winning the title, I’d be pulling for Charlotte. If it’s obviously just an upset situation and the Heels have a chance to cut down the nets, I’m pulling for the Heels. In regular season baseball, I’m pulling for Charlotte. If it’s the regionals and we’re talking same situation, upset but no real shot at title (although looking at Fresno I guess anyone has a shot) then I’m pulling for Heels.

Some of you can call it bandwagon, but bottom line, I want championships for my schools. If both have a shot at a title, I’m going with Charlotte since obviously they need it more than Carolina to build.

You may want to specify that you have degrees from both, or you pretty much just committed message board suicide.

Make sure you bold, underline, and italicize it to b/c some have trouble with it.