Portland Game

Goldwireā€™s constant misses remind me of the movie Tin Cup, when Costner tries to hit the 18th green over water about 10 times in a row without laying up.

I liked Bennettā€™s shot selection and court awareness. It seemed he knew when to and when not to shoot., and when to drive and when to pass as well.

Goldwire passed up an open man down low more than once to take what I thought was an ill advised 3, but then on the other hand it seemed he played with quite a bit of intensity on defense.

Iā€™ve seen Davidson play this year and did not think they looked all that impressive. UMass was up by 10 and threw the game away.

im worried about indiana on tvā€¦ive seen thre of their games and their nastyā€¦sickā€¦nasty

when i turned on the indiana west illinois game, indiana already had 31 points in 14 minutes, 25 of them from threeā€™sā€¦they are deep and are stilol missing dj white who will play against us

they had a guy come off the bench and hit 3 threeā€™s in a row, then hit another a few minutes laterā€¦problem is they have many 3 shooters, so they dont really have an off nightā€¦the indiana duke game should be interesting

im worried about indiana on tv.......ive seen thre of their games and their nasty...sick...nasty

when i turned on the indiana west illinois game, indiana already had 31 points in 14 minutes, 25 of them from threeā€™sā€¦they are deep and are stilol missing dj white who will play against us

they had a guy come off the bench and hit 3 threeā€™s in a row, then hit another a few minutes laterā€¦problem is they have many 3 shooters, so they dont really have an off nightā€¦the indiana duke game should be interesting

We should be flowing by the time Indiana comes around.

Hereā€™s to optimism. :mellow:

ā€œFlowingā€? Toilets overflow.

i find it very funny even when we do win you guys find something to complain about. A WIN IS A WIN!!!. I'll take whatever we can get so stop complaining about a team that is young mentally and start supporting them like they have never heard. You guys are the most pathetic fans i have ever scene and I say that lightly. It is like trying to please an adhd 3 year old.

Then spend more time supporting the team and less time condemning those that criciticize it. Because based on the majority of your posts here, thatā€™s primarily all you do. Do you honestly think that the people that spend as much time as they do on this messageboard are the ā€œfansā€ you need to even be worrying about?? The people that frequent this board are the most loyal and diehard fans this school has. You should consider putting more effort into walking around campus and criticizing the students who couldnā€™t even name a single starter instead of worrying about what the real fans here think.

you donā€™t know me very well do you? i criticize everyone who donā€™t know a single name of our starters. I also go around making fun of people wearing carolina stuff. I go up to them and ask if they can show me which way i can find the dean dome and how i would go about getting court side seats. right before they get frustrated with me i simply stateā€¦ā€œoh iā€™m sorry i thought i went to charlotteā€. Iā€™m actually one of the more vocal people on this board about making fun of people walking around campus. Iā€™ve also talked to Dan Devos in trying to find a way to get people on campus more interested in Charlotte athletics in general. Nice try. Come again.

1. Curt has clearly become the vocal leader of this team. I saw 3 or 4 times when he called out teammates who were not playing the right way. Who was in his doghouse the most?

2. The answer is Mitch. I saw Curt and Coach Lutz yell a couple of times at Mitch to be the point guard. Right now his confidence is so low that he doesnā€™t even want to try. He is really struggling.

3. I really believe something is wrong with Leemire. Either heā€™s physically playing with pain, or heā€™s so messed up mentally that heā€™s altered his shooting form. His shot has no arc and is going back rim every time.

4. DA and Marcus Bennett are going to have to be consistent 2nd and 3rd options. It was good to see Marcus hit a couple of shots late to put the game away. If he does that in the 1st half, the game is a blowout.

5. Iā€™m not as down on EJ as most. He may not be shooting well right now, but he played solid defense, got a couple of boards and I donā€™t remember any silly turnovers.

6. Overall we are better defensively as a team than in the past, but we are far from good. We got beat on the backdoor 3 or 4 times. We stopped it in the 2nd half, but they stopped running it. Davidson will do it 20 times against us Wed. Can we stop it?

7. Weā€™re now .500 with a 2 game winning streak. Confidence should be picking up as a whole. Iā€™m still anxious to see Courtney Williams when heā€™s 100%. I like Nance and Dumptruck, but they just both have nuances to their game I donā€™t like (Nance doesnā€™t post well, Dump canā€™t play the pick and roll/picks up silly fouls)

Overall the team looked much better than the Miss. St disaster. Hopefully theyā€™ll improve more in 2 days and knock some looks down.

[QUOTE]5. Iā€™m not as down on EJ as most. He may not be shooting well right now, but he played solid defense, got a couple of boards and I donā€™t remember any silly turnovers.[/QUOTE]
he had that one really bad transition turnover when he was trying to pass the ball to DA and threw the ball about 4 feet behind him. He thought DA was going to cut back to the ball when DA was moving closer to the baseline but EJ took full blame for it.

This is a team out of sync. We have too many new parts trying to fit in. Baldwin is nonexistant. He seems timid and lost this year. Gun shy to drive the lane or push the ball? As for the crowd: unless we start winning, the size will continue to diminish as will the vocal support during the game. Itā€™s just the way things areā€¦at all games, anywhere. Get used to it. Itā€™s gonna be a long season. Davidson is going to backdoor, motion offense us to DEATH. I dred that game, but Iā€™m glad that loss wonā€™t be on national TV like the waxing IU will lay on us next month. UGH!

you don't know me very well do you? i criticize everyone who don't know a single name of our starters. I also go around making fun of people wearing carolina stuff. I go up to them and ask if they can show me which way i can find the dean dome and how i would go about getting court side seats. right before they get frustrated with me i simply state..."oh i'm sorry i thought i went to charlotte". I'm actually one of the more vocal people on this board about making fun of people walking around campus. I've also talked to Dan Devos in trying to find a way to get people on campus more interested in Charlotte athletics in general. Nice try. Come again.
Nice try. Come again? And of what relevance is that to anything I stated in my post concerning you? I couldn't care less what you do in your free time. I simply stated that on this messageboard, you spend more time criticizing diehard Niner fans than anything else. Would you like a trophy for making fun of people on campus? Does that make you "fan of the year?" Half the people on this board, myself included, were driving across town twice a week to support this team at Independence Arena while you were still playing with Tinker Tots. So spare me all the "I'm a bigger fan than you" crap.

This is a public communitity where people can express their feelings about the team, the coaches and the University as a whole. I just donā€™t get why you think the people here arenā€™t devoted to this team? Many of us were posting here in support of the Niners when all we had was GoCarolinas.com. Then Charlotte.com. Then cusatalk.com. Not everyone that frequents this board is against this team. Actually, Iā€™d say 99% of the people that even show up here daily are the biggest supporters this program has. So get off your ā€œsuperfanā€ soapbox and find another cause.

Tinker Tots LOLā€¦yeah Dax spare us the fan of the year crap. Just play your flute, cheer for the team and quit criticizing the ones who actually care enough to criticize. Youā€™re just a kid, so you have no idea what experiences some of us have had with this team through the years.

[QUOTE=49erFan1;141702]5. Iā€™m not as down on EJ as most. He may not be shooting well right now, but he played solid defense, got a couple of boards and I donā€™t remember any silly turnovers.[/QUOTE]

EJ is improving on defense. Heā€™s best when he can use his arms/length away from the basket to harass a wing player trapped against the sideline, or just blocking passing lanes.

He had one really nice move to the basket that was negated by a dubious foul call. Heā€™s never gonna be a 4, but I think he could be a decent 3 if he just logs minutes there.

What I dont understand is why we play so small when weā€™re so thin at G? The lineups that looked the best on the court last night were based on Lee at PG, Bennett at the 2 and Curtis at the 4, with Nance or 'Truck at 5 and EJ or DA at the 3. Those lineups produced energy, defensive pressure, and maybe, dare I say, offensive cohesion.

I think the rotation is still a work in process, but Bennettā€™s possible emergence as our starting 2G would do wonders to solidify our backcourt.

One other lineup note - why in the world was Nance pulled after his hot start last night? Another in a long line of Lutz pulling-the-hotā€“hand-off-the-court head scratchersā€¦

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by the daxified one
you donā€™t know me very well do you? i criticize everyone who donā€™t know a single name of our starters. I also go around making fun of people wearing carolina stuff. I go up to them and ask if they can show me which way i can find the dean dome and how i would go about getting court side seats. right before they get frustrated with me i simply stateā€¦ā€œoh iā€™m sorry i thought i went to charlotteā€. Iā€™m actually one of the more vocal people on this board about making fun of people walking around campus. Iā€™ve also talked to Dan Devos in trying to find a way to get people on campus more interested in Charlotte athletics in general. Nice try. Come again.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jcl49er;141699]Then spend more time supporting the team and less time condemning those that criciticize it. Because based on the majority of your posts here, thatā€™s primarily all you do. Do you honestly think that the people that spend as much time as they do on this messageboard are the ā€œfansā€ you need to even be worrying about?? The people that frequent this board are the most loyal and diehard fans this school has. You should consider putting more effort into walking around campus and criticizing the students who couldnā€™t even name a single starter instead of worrying about what the real fans here think.[/QUOTE]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[QUOTE=49erFan1;141702]1. Curt has clearly become the vocal leader of this team. I saw 3 or 4 times when he called out teammates who were not playing the right way. Who was in his doghouse the most?
[/QUOTE]

For the most part he has been playing wellā€¦ and we would be lost without himā€¦ but he really needs to learn to hold on to the damn ball. 7 turnovers last night? He already has 26 through 6 games. :mask: Our ā€œleaderā€ canā€™t turn the ball over that much. A lot of those turnovers have been momentum killers too.

On another note, what is a tinker tot? Sounds deliciousā€¦

On another note, what is a tinker tot? Sounds delicious...

Full of fiber actually but you might have a tough time chewing them up. :tongue:

[QUOTE=Max Power;141729]For the most part he has been playing wellā€¦ and we would be lost without himā€¦ but he really needs to learn to hold on to the damn ball. 7 turnovers last night? He already has 26 through 6 games. :mask: Our ā€œleaderā€ canā€™t turn the ball over that much. A lot of those turnovers have been momentum killers too.[/QUOTE]

He does turn the ball over a lot, but Lutz pointed out in the postgame something Iā€™d been debating. Letā€™s compare him to Rodney White, since one of the knocks against him was his propensity to turn the ball overā€¦

I donā€™t feel like looking up RWā€™s numbers, but I seem to remember that he had about a 1:1 rebound/TO ratio - He averaged about 5 of each per game. But what did we ask him to do? Score - thatā€™s about it. We gave him the ball in halfcourt, but didnā€™t ask him to bring it up the floor, etc.

Lutz is asking Withers to do EVERYTHING on the court. Not only does he carry all of the post/rebounding load for us (where he gets hacked so often it makes me crazy), but he routinely brings the ball up the court, and plays the trap/press for us. While his TO numbers per minutes played might be similar to Rodneyā€™s, there is no comparison in terms of how often Curtis touches the ball and what else heā€™s responsible for.

I guess Iā€™m saying that Iā€™d like to see him hold onto the ball better in the post, but as for the rest, Iā€™m willing to give him some critical leeway.

BTW, compare CWā€™s rebound/TO ratio to Rodneyā€™sā€¦ night and day. Curt makes up for a lot of his TOs by being such a beast on the glass.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;141735]He does turn the ball over a lot, but Lutz pointed out in the postgame something Iā€™d been debating. Letā€™s compare him to Rodney White, since one of the knocks against him was his propensity to turn the ball overā€¦

I donā€™t feel like looking up RWā€™s numbers, but I seem to remember that he had about a 1:1 rebound/TO ratio - He averaged about 5 of each per game. But what did we ask him to do? Score - thatā€™s about it. We gave him the ball in halfcourt, but didnā€™t ask him to bring it up the floor, etc.

Lutz is asking Withers to do EVERYTHING on the court. Not only does he carry all of the post/rebounding load for us (where he gets hacked so often it makes me crazy), but he routinely brings the ball up the court, and plays the trap/press for us. While his TO numbers per minutes played might be similar to Rodneyā€™s, there is no comparison in terms of how often Curtis touches the ball and what else heā€™s responsible for.

I guess Iā€™m saying that Iā€™d like to see him hold onto the ball better in the post, but as for the rest, Iā€™m willing to give him some critical leeway.

BTW, compare CWā€™s rebound/TO ratio to Rodneyā€™sā€¦ night and day. Curt makes up for a lot of his TOs by being such a beast on the glass.[/QUOTE]

He can score like Rodney, rebound better and actually plays defense which makes him a better Player than White. Period.

From what I saw at the game when had the opportunity to pull up and shoot the three they looked affraid to shoot it. Like they knew they werenā€™t going to make it. Itā€™s going to take some time to get our confidence up on the three ball. Just imagine if we didnā€™t have Curt. He is the only reason were 3-3 and holding on to this season. I just hope he drills it into his teammates heads that he cant do it all by himself.

The team without Curt is next years team. If this team is not very good what will that team look like? My suggestion for Lutz load up on as many cupcakes as possible.

some thoughts on yesterdayā€™s game. Comments welcome from those who saw the game in person:

Coach Lutz said to channel frustrations towards defense and rebounding. Portland scored 46 points and we outrebounded them 50-29.

Itā€™s still the ā€˜Withers and 10 Spectators Showā€™. Although a recovering Bennett might have something to say about that.

Sounds like we went from impatiently chucking up threes to patiently chucking up threes. The next step might be for some movement by players without the ball.

Goldwire shooting out of a slump is much like Shaq shooting out of a slump. Did I hear correctly? 0-18 at home?

The Portland announcers were making a big deal about how they were the away team against A-10 refs. It certainly did not sound like we were favored at all by the refs, but there also did not seem to be any effort made to drive to the basket and draw a foul.

Again, quite a few early three attempts. (I sound like a broken record) All misses.

Portland grabbed 20 rebounds in our end of the court, but we dominated in their end 30-9

Points for Withers for being Withers and getting vocal. Points for Lutz for the second half. Subtract points for the rest of the team for their inability to penetrate.

Finally, the one thing I really wanted to hear you guys talk about is the alley-oop from Baldwin to Withers. The crowd volume really jumped on that play