Portland Game

clt thinks that it is raining.

Yes the alley-oop was sick but it was just one. We have a team of giants and thats the only dunk we got against Portland. So yeah it was nice but it wasnā€™t enough to write home about.

[B]TEAM REBS:[/B] 48
[B]TURNOVERS:[/B] 15 (M Baldwin 3, D Alexander 2, [B]C Withers 7[/B], E Drayton 2, A Coleman 1)
[B]BLOCKED SHOTS:[/B] 5 (C Withers 2, C Nance 2, E Drayton 1)
[B]STEALS:[/B] 3 (M Baldwin 1, L Goldwire 1, A Coleman 1)
[B]3-PT FGS:[/B] [B]4-23, .174[/B] (M Baldwin 0-2, D Alexander 1-4, C Withers 0-2, M Bennett 3-9, L Goldwire 0-4, E Drayton 0-2)

The alley-oop came right after the refs called Withers for charging on a nice move through the lane and waved off his basket. It was a lame call and Lutz seemed to agree. When we got the ball back he was screaming for the ā€œNinersā€ play like a maniac, okay he always screams like a maniac so this was something more. Apparently the Niners play is the one where we embarass you for having even come onto the floor. Nice to see we are capable.

Observations from last nights game:

• We are a HORRIBLE 3 shooting team. The only person who should shoot 3s is Marcus.

• Our shooting is not that bad, we just shoot too many 3s

• Jerell Jamison needs to play more minutes.

• Leemire should change his name to brick. (He will get things together eventually)

• Curt is amazing

• Curt is awesome

• I love Curt

• Nance is much improved over last year, he needs more minutes

• Coleman is great at defense but he also will get a lot of fouls

Why is it that little guy from Portland gave us so much trouble?

He can score like Rodney, rebound better and actually plays defense which makes him a better Player than White. Period.

I agree that Curt is more talented than Rodney on defense, or if not more talented, he plays a lot harder. He is physical and is an inside presence, something Rodney was not at all. Rodney did not like contact and did not rebound well for his size. However, he was not asked to be the dominant inside force. Curt seems to thrive on contact.

The biggest disagreement I have is the comparison of Curtā€™s scoring to Rodneyā€™s. Curt is not nearly as gifted as Rodney on the offensive end. Rodney could create his own shot and had a much better jump shot. Curt for the most part gets a lot of his points close to the basket and does a great job drawing contact and getting a chance for the 3 point play.

Rodney averaged 18 ppg as a freshman (led D1 freshmen), shot 49% from the field, 35% for 3 and 71% from the line. He was light years ahead of Curt on the offensive end. He did average 2.9 TOā€™s per game, but that is not terrible considering he always touched the ball on offense.

Curt does have more heart than Rod and gets more out of his natural ability than Rod did.

Why do you think Jerrell Jamison should play more minutes? Just because he scored and made a free throw. His 2 points came from making a layup when the ball was knocked out of our hands and he picked up in the lane and went up and got the foul. When he is on the court he is lost. Did you not see his teammates telling him where to be on defense and offense? At the Mississippi St. game he made two horrible passes when we had guys wide open at the basket. My opinion he needs to stay on the bench and Leemire needs to join him there for an entire game.

i was at the game last night and we seemed to be playing fairly wellā€¦but i think i was slightly blind and my expectations were a lil lowered bc of the miss. st. gameā€¦but i looked up at halftime and was baffled we were tied with PORTLAND! wtf??? Theres no way we are THAT badā€¦is it?..second half was a lil better but we need to pick it upā€¦big time!..[SIZE=5][COLOR=green][B][U]GO NINERS![/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B][U][SIZE=5][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B]
[B][U][SIZE=5][COLOR=#008000]ps this is my first postā€¦EVERā€¦and im post # 49 ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B]

i was at the game last night and we seemed to be playing fairly well....but i think i was slightly blind and my expectations were a lil lowered bc of the miss. st. game....but i looked up at halftime and was baffled we were tied with PORTLAND! wtf?!?!?!? Theres no way we are THAT bad...is it?....second half was a lil better but we need to pick it up...big time!.....[SIZE=5][COLOR=green][B][U]GO NINERS![/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#008000]ps this is my first postā€¦EVERā€¦and im post # 49 ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sweeeet. Thatā€™s a great omen!

Welcome to the board gboro!

preciate it ā€¦ i went to the U my freshman year but failed the F**k out lolā€¦but im still a true niner at heartā€¦i drive down for all the gamesā€¦and went to the conf tourney 2 years ago in cincyā€¦I LOVE THE NINERSā€¦and im transferring down in the summerā€¦wish i coud get better tickets to the games though:weep:

[B]PSā€¦STOP SHOOTING ####ING THREES!!! we need to rip up those damn 3 signsā€¦unless you hold it up for our beloved Withers[/B]

[QUOTE=ninertread5;141799]Why do you think Jerrell Jamison should play more minutes? Just because he scored and made a free throw. His 2 points came from making a layup when the ball was knocked out of our hands and he picked up in the lane and went up and got the foul. When he is on the court he is lost. Did you not see his teammates telling him where to be on defense and offense? At the Mississippi St. game he made two horrible passes when we had guys wide open at the basket. My opinion he needs to stay on the bench and Leemire needs to join him there for an entire game.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Some of you stat mongers need to actually watch the games and not just look at the box scores. Jerrell Jamison is not even close to being a better player than EJ. EJ struggling makes Jerrell look pedestrian. We need to go with a shorter rotation, not lengthen it out. We did that early in the season and took some lumps. Past 2 games, 8 man rotation, 2-0.

I do have one thought about Marcus. How come we donā€™t use him as a PG. He handles the ball better than Mitch. He makes good decisions about when to pass/shoot. Tommy Amaker said that Marcus was a better PG than Daniel Horton (who was halfway decent). Iā€™m curious why weā€™re all so quick to stuff him the 2G slot. Iā€™d rather use Marcus at PG rather than 3mire or Mitch right about now.

Just my 2 cents.

[QUOTE=morningwood;141790]I agree that Curt is more talented than Rodney on defense, or if not more talented, he plays a lot harder. He is physical and is an inside presence, something Rodney was not at all. Rodney did not like contact and did not rebound well for his size. However, he was not asked to be the dominant inside force. Curt seems to thrive on contact.

The biggest disagreement I have is the comparison of Curtā€™s scoring to Rodneyā€™s. Curt is not nearly as gifted as Rodney on the offensive end. Rodney could create his own shot and had a much better jump shot. Curt for the most part gets a lot of his points close to the basket and does a great job drawing contact and getting a chance for the 3 point play.

Rodney averaged 18 ppg as a freshman (led D1 freshmen), shot 49% from the field, 35% for 3 and 71% from the line. He was light years ahead of Curt on the offensive end. He did average 2.9 TOā€™s per game, but that is not terrible considering he always touched the ball on offense.

Curt does have more heart than Rod and gets more out of his natural ability than Rod did.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Curt for the most part gets a lot of his points close to the basket and does a great job drawing contact and getting a chance for the 3 point play.[/QUOTE]

It doesnā€™t matter How you score, just that the guy can score. He can score as well as Rodney.

[QUOTE] Rodney could create his own shot and had a much better jump shot.[/QUOTE]

Does that make him better.? No, it just makes him a different type of scorer.

I could just as easily say that Rod was soft in the paint and couldnā€™t score in the low block.

[QUOTE]Curt does have more heart than Rod and gets more out of his natural ability than Rod didā€¦Curt is more talented than Rodney on defense, or if not more talented, he plays a lot harder. He is physical and is an inside presence, something Rodney was not at all. Rodney did not like contact and did not rebound well for his size. However, he was not asked to be the dominant inside force. Curt seems to thrive on contact.[/QUOTE]

All of this takes me back to my original point, which is that Curt is a better basketball player than Rodney White was here.

All of this takes me back to my original point, which is that Curt is a better basketball player than Rodney White was here.

Actually your original point stated that he was as good of a scorer and that is not true. If Rodney was the focal point of our offense as Curt is, he would average a lot more points.

Rod average 18ppg playing with Jobey, Demon, Diego, etc.

[QUOTE=morningwood;141864]Actually your original point stated that he was as good of a scorer and that is not true. If Rodney was the focal point of our offense as Curt is, he would average a lot more points.
[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I think I remember my original point but I will post it again here to refresh your memory:

[QUOTE]He can score like Rodney, rebound better and actually plays defense which makes him a better Player than White. Period.[/QUOTE]

I think this quote from my original post on the subject clearly shows that my point was that Curt is a BETTER BASKETBALL PLAYER THAN RODNEY.

He can score like Rodney

???

[QUOTE=morningwood;141873]???[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you didnā€™t disect my posts to suit your ridiculous point which, when you get right down to it, is just another sad attempt to instigate me.

Again, my full post:

[QUOTE]He can score like Rodney, rebound better and actually plays defense which makes him a better Player than White. Period. [/QUOTE]

Do I think he can score like Rod? Yes. He will average about the same this year as RW did his only season here. Rod WAS the focal point of our offense, Curt is supposed to be, but isnā€™t. They both will get about the same number of attempts, so yes, Curt can scre like Rod.

Also, as you and I both stated, Curt can defend, rebound and has more heart which makes him a better basketball player which was my only point to begin with. Stop looking for trouble, would you?

Do I think he can score like Rod? Yes. He will average about the same this year as RW did his only season here.

Rod was a freshman, Curt is a senior.

I hope we didnā€™t make Winnie the Pooh and his friend Piglet cry. Heh heh hehā€¦the heckling shall continue all season!! POOOOOOOOH!!!

[QUOTE=morningwood;141882]Rod was a freshman, Curt is a senior.[/QUOTE]

Why does that matter?

My point is that is that right now Curt is a better player than Rodney was when he was here. BTW, he was no freshman.

What is your problem?